News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice App vs. Obi Talk App.

Started by TheNAFL, June 22, 2016, 07:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNAFL

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but my question is using the Google Voice App to make and receive calls. My current set up is using Google Voice and Callcentric with an Obi 200 device using an At&T phone. I have my device set up correct on the Obi side and my Google side is set up with my calls being forwarded to Google Chat and my Callcentric number, both numbers are checked. I used the Google Voice App prior to adding Callcentric into the mix and everything worked just fine. I am now unsure of how to configure the App to work with my current setup. Thank you in advance for any help

SteveInWA

Hi:

The "big picture" is that Google Voice receives calls on its inbound telephone number, and then it forwards calls to all of the 10-digit telephone numbers you add, and, optionally, to Google Chat.  OBi devices are the Chat clients in this case, so they're just another forwarding destination for your inbound GV number.

Using an OBi device doesn't change anything with regard to how you use your mobile phone with the Google Voice app.  You are forwarding your inbound calls to your mobile phone number, and to your Callcentric number, and both will ring at the same time, and you can answer the call on either one.  Outbound calls placed on your OBi-attached phone will use Chat, and outbound calls placed on your mobile phone will use your mobile phone's regular voice carrier network.  So, you need not make any changes to your mobile phone's configuration in the app.

TheNAFL

Thank you Steve. My apologies for not responding earlier. I just now noticed your reply when i posted a new question to the forum. I just want to clarify a few things and confirm proper setup. Again, thank you for your help.

With my Callcentric # added to my Google account as a forwarding # (with the box next to it checked), the call gets forwarded to my Callcentric #, which in turn rings my land line phone attached to the Obi200, correct? My GV# is on [SP1] and my Callcentric is on [SP2]. Do i also need to have Google Chat checked as well?

With the GV App on my phone and only my Callcentric # checked in my Google account, my cell/GV App does not ring, but i can call out using the GV App. 

If I add my cell # to my Google account as a forwarding # (with the box next to it checked), it will forward my GV calls to my cell, correct?

As you said, if i check the box next to my Callcentric # AND my cell #, then both phones will ring at the same time and I can choose which phone to answer. This is where i am confused about whether or not i need to check or not check the box next to Google Chat.

So with the GV App, in theory, is it only for outgoing calls to mask your cell number when calling out? i assume calls to my GV # actually ring my cell not the GV App on my cell? 

I only want my cell to actually ring my GV # so i can answer the calls when i am out of the office during business hours or out of town. So it appears that i just need to leave the check box next to my Callcentric # checked all of the time and only check the box next to my cell to forward calls to my cell/GV App when i am out of the office and want to answer calls, correct? Then, when i get back in the office, just uncheck the box next to my cell as a forwarding #

On the GV App, it gives me the option to pick either the Callcentric # or my cell #. I assume that i chose my cell # since my Callcentric # is inbound only.

You mentioned that calling out on my GV# needs Google Chat? In my Google account, I have 3 boxes with options to check  1. Google Chat 2. My Callcentric number 3. My cell number.

Currently, i only have my Callcentric # checked, as i asked earlier, do i need to check Google Chat as well?

SteveInWA

Hello again:

It seems like you didn't understand the "big picture" I described earlier.  It is easier to grasp the details, if you understand how Google Voice works overall.

Look at your Google Voice Settings web page on your computer:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

You have an inbound Google Voice telephone number.  This is the number shown on your Google Voice settings page under the words "Your number".  People call you on this number.

Inbound calls to your GV number then forward to whatever forwarding phone numbers you add on the right side of that page, and, optionally, to Google Chat.  It simultaneously rings all check-marked forwarding destinations, and whichever one answers first wins the race and gets the call.

GV can forward to any land line or mobile phone number in the contiguous US states.  It doesn't care if it's a phone number on a rotary phone, or a cordless phone, or a dumb cell phone, or a smartphone.  The app is not used and it is irrelevant for inbound calls.  These are simply ordinary telephone calls to those forwarding numbers, over the ordinary telephone network.  You do not use the mobile phone app to receive calls...just the phone itself.

OBi devices can be used with many different SIP VoIP telephone service providers, and they can also act as Google Chat clients.

You are forwarding your inbound GV calls to your Callcentric (CC) number.  Therefore, you should not also be forwarding it to Google Chat.  That would be redundant.  So, do not put a check mark to the left of Chat on your Google Voice settings page.  Instead, check-mark the CC number, which should be working on your OBi.

Now, outbound calling:

To place outbound calls from the OBi-attached phone using your Google Voice telephone number and service, you use Google Chat on the OBi, which you set up on one of your SP configuration slots.  Remember, the check mark to the left of Chat on the GV Settings page is only controlling INbound call forwarding.  That setting is not used for OUTbound calling.  The OBi is simply placing the calls using your GV account's Chat service.

To place outbound calls from an Android or iPhone, you need the Google Voice app.  On Android phones, the App uses the Android phone's native telephone service, and it "hooks" into the phone dialer to intercept outbound calls and bridge them through Google's network.  Apple doesn't allow third-party apps to do that, so outbound calls on iPhones use the Google Voice app's keypad.

Using your cell phone doesn't involve Callcentric, nor your Callcentric phone number, at all.

In summary:

• Check-mark your CC number.
  • Do not check-mark Google Chat.