News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 wont stop flashing red/green

Started by Bluesters, August 20, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesters

I have tried every troubleshooting step and my device will not stop flashing red/green
I downloaded the latest firmware 2886 with no luck.
I also looked up my ip address in my router and it does ping.
My address is 192.168.3, yet when I put that in my browser, the web portal does not open, it just brings me to a page that says the following:

Select file to update firmware  Choose File Press Update to Start Process Update
 WARNING
         Please DO NOT disconnect the power from the device during the update process!
         The process will take approximately 30 seconds to complete.

I also tried the following:

Alternating Red/Green A unit with red/green alternate flashing means that there was a power loss in the midst of a firmware update of the OBi. It is possible to recover the OBi. Try power cycling the OBi, first. If the light is still alternating, you will need to reinstall your firmware.
Click here for further recovery instructions

Please help, thanks in advance

Bluesters

I also tried a factory reset but the OBI will not reset after inserting pin in back of unit

Taoman

Quote from: Bluesters on August 20, 2016, 11:40:08 AM
I also tried a factory reset but the OBI will not reset after inserting pin in back of unit

And you are following these instructions to the letter?

QuoteReset the OBi Device Using the Physical Pin (Button)
1. With a paper clip (or similar) depress the reset pin located at the bottom of the OBi.
2. While keeping the reset pin depressed, plug-in the power cord.
First, the Power LED will turn red, then become sold green.
Keep depressing the reset pin while this is occurring.
3. After 10 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green (slowly).
You may now release the reset pin.
4. Within 5 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green rapidly for about 3 seconds.
5. Next the Power LED will change to red briefly indicating the OBi is now rebooting.

drgeoff

Quote from: Bluesters on August 20, 2016, 11:34:19 AM
My address is 192.168.3, yet when I put that in my browser, the web portal does not open, it just brings me to a page that says the following:

Select file to update firmware  Choose File Press Update to Start Process Update
 WARNING
         Please DO NOT disconnect the power from the device during the update process!
         The process will take approximately 30 seconds to complete.

Does that process go to completion without error?

Bluesters

The answer to both questions above is yes.

Followed the reset instructions to the letter

and yes, the page that shows  only the firmware update page allows me to update the OBI, it does update but then just goes back to flashing red/green

drgeoff

Fortunately, I've never experienced that situation and don't know how rigorously the OBi checks the offered firmware file before flashing it.  Check that the 2886.fw firmware file is exactly 2,243,822 bytes. If not, try downloading again and updating.

Bluesters

SteveInWA

Given that you have followed the instructions, and you are still seeing that symptom, your OBi is defective (probably failing flash memory).  It's time to buy a new one.  The 100 series are now discontinued, so buy a 200 instead.

Bluesters

Okay. if I purchase another.
How do I delete the current soft phone that still shows on my account?

Thanks

drgeoff

Quote from: Bluesters on August 21, 2016, 06:03:31 AM
How do I delete the current soft phone that still shows on my account?

Thanks
You don't (and can't). It comes with the Obitalk portal account. Delete the 100 from your account and use the **5 xxxx procedure to add the replacement.

Use of the softphone number is optional. If you don't use it, it is harmless and can be totally ignored.

Taoman

Quote from: Bluesters on August 21, 2016, 06:03:31 AM

I would not discard your OBi just yet. I would unhook all wiring/power from the unit and sit it on a shelf for a few days. I've heard too many stories of supposedly dead/bricked OBi devices mysteriously come back to life after a few days of no use. Capacitor discharge issue? Beats me.

I think drgeoff is much more the electronics expert than I am. Perhaps he can posit a theory.

Bluesters

Yes, I will keep it.
I'll let you know the results after the unit sits idle for about a week.

LTN1

If after a week it doesn't work, maybe try leaving it on the shelf for a month.

Really? That's the advice?! If it does somehow work again, it is obvious that the device will face similar issues. The shelf delay does nothing to resolve the issue in the long run.

sylvaing

Even if the file is the right size, check that the MD5 hash matches. May be the file is corrupted but the size stayed the same.

When I calculated its MD5 using Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier, I got 9f5e945f44c6861cca01d8b1c6f05505.

The Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11533 and I used the following command to calculate it: fciv.exe OBi-latest.fw

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on August 22, 2016, 02:32:26 PM
If after a week it doesn't work, maybe try leaving it on the shelf for a month.

Really? That's the advice?! If it does somehow work again, it is obvious that the device will face similar issues. The shelf delay does nothing to resolve the issue in the long run.

+1

With any luck, Obihai will have a sale on the 200s for Labor Day weekend.

Bluesters

Update:

I did purchase an OBI 200, still waiting for it to arrive.

After having the Obi 100 on the shelf  for about a week unplugged (Capacitor discharge issue?), I tried to hook it back up again last night.
When first powering on, the lights did stay green and not flashing red/green and i thought hey this might work again. When entering the 192.168.1.8, I was able to finally get into the Obi portal, I went to system management and then firmware update, (by the way I was able to reset the obi to factory default with the pin, something it wouldn't allow me last week), I updated the firmware successfully, at least that is what the portal stated), then proceeded with the echo test, that also worked?
The next step was to add the device, it stated to call **5 5847, as soon as I dialed I received no response on the phone and he OBI went back to flashing red/green.
(I also cannot reset the the OBI with the pin once again)
In summary, keeping the OBI on the shelf obviously affected it but the end result was still the same.
Waiting on my OBI 200 to arrive

Thanks to all who have responded and tried to help.

Taoman

Quote from: Bluesters on August 29, 2016, 06:27:13 AM

In summary, keeping the OBI on the shelf obviously affected it but the end result was still the same.
Waiting on my OBI 200 to arrive

Thanks for reporting back. It was worth a shot. I had the same experience with an OBi110 but after a couple weeks I tried again and this time it worked and it's been running fine ever since. And that was over 2 years ago.

The OBi200 is a newer/superior device which I'm sure you'll be happy with.

Bluesters

Well, Well, Well!!!

My Obi 200 arrived today and I don't need it.

My OBi 100 is back to working again. Here is what I did.

Before I opened the package of the new OBI 200 that just arrived, I tried the OBI 100 just one more time.

1. After being unplugged for about another week, before I plugged it in, I had the pin depressed to reset before powering on. The OBI successfully reset to factory default.

2. With lights staying green, instead of updating firmware directly from first version to latest (2886). I updated the firmware to the version before the latest.

3. Added device on OBITALk.com, there was a message right before that device needed to be updated to latest version 2886. Clicked on that, first attempt unsuccessful, second attempt succeeded.

4 Added device , it configured and connected.

I'm back up and running!!!

If it fails again I will be back to update on this page, the key may have been to upgrade firmware from first version to middle version, then let the portal advise me to update to latest version instead of me doing it manually.

SteveInWA

Given how many times the device went into failure mode (red/green blinking), I'm pretty confident that its flash memory module is dying (read and/or write errors).  If you want to continue this science experiment, great.  But, if you want reliable phone service, then it's Hammer Time for the 100.