News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Replacing Failed OBi202

Started by w98abee, September 11, 2016, 09:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w98abee

I woke up this morning to a failed 202.  No lights whatsoever.  Checked the wall wart power supply and it's delivering the proper voltage so I'm assuming trhe 202 itself is dead.  Replacement is one order from Amazon and will be here tomorrow.  That's the good news.  Question is ... do I need to (re)configure this device from scratch or is there a fast track configuration for legacy users?  I guess it comes down to how much of my configuration was stored on the dead device and how much with Obi.  I confess to being only marginally literate on these devices.  All help appreciated.

drgeoff

If you have checked the PSU only by measuring its off-load voltage (ie not connected to anything except the voltmeter) it is still possible that it is faulty.   It is quite a common fault with switched mode wallwarts that the output voltage appears to be correct when delivering insignificant current but falls drastically when driving the proper load.  When it arrives, try the new PSU with the old 202.

w98abee

Great advice and the thought crossed my mind.  I considered opening the unit and checking the input voltage under load at the board level but decided your approach makes more sense.  In the meanwhile I'll rumage through my ever-growing box of wall-mount PSU's and see if any have the right connecter and polarity.  My primary concern at this point is the level of time/effort tat will be required to configure the new unit of it comes to that. 
Many thanks for taking the time to respond.  Much appreciated.
John

azrobert

There is a config backup function in OBi Expert or via the local interface, but both require the unit to be powered on.

After you get your new OBi202 configured, take a backup. If you need a restore in the future, just import the backup with OBi Expert. Backups don't contain passwords, so it's not a totally clean restore.

Via local interface:
System Management -> Device Update
Under Backup Configuration click Use OBi Version then click Backup
Select Save from the pop-up

Via Portal
From Dashboard click the Gear Icon
Click OBi Expert Configuration
Click Backup Config to OBi Expert
Select Save from the pop-up

The best you can do now with a dead OBi202 is Copy and Paste from the OBi Expert config screens.