News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with DigitMaps and OutboundCallRoute

Started by tre1, September 10, 2016, 05:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tre1

Hi All,
I recently purchased an Obi110 and I would like to have some help with configuring it. Following are my requirements:
1. All local calls (1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, xxx-xxx-xxxx) should be forwarded to line interface (PSTN) - This happens with current configuration, but with a significant delay (10-15sec) is observed before I start hearing ringing tone. I would like to minimize this delay.
2. All foreign calls (011-xx.) should be forwarded to SP1 (GV).
3. All emergency calls (911) should be forwarded to PSTN.
If you can provide some advice setting up my Obi, I really appreciate it.
Thank you,

azrobert

Physical interfaces -> Phone Port -> Primary Line: PSTN (this is the default)

Physical interfaces -> Phone Port
Add to the beginning of the OutboundCallRoute: {(011xx.):sp1},

Physical interfaces -> Line Port -> DigitMap:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|911|011xx.S3)

Make sure you don't have a rule in the phone outbound route routing 911 somewhere else.

OBi devices use a 2 step process to route calls. The dialed number is first validated in the phone digit map. The last rule, (Mpli) includes the rules from the primary line. This is why I defined international numbers in the line digit map. You can put the international rule into the phone digit map if that is more logical for you. The S3 is a 3 second delay, otherwise you will have a 10 second delay because the rule ends with "x.".

tre1

Thanks a lot. I still see about 6-8sec delay before I hear the first ring but it has improved.

I have one additional question. In my phone book, I have an entry of the format "xxx-xxx-xxxx pp xxxxxx#", which does the following: calling a number (xxx-xxx-xxxx), wait sometime for remote system to answer (delay provided using pp), enter six digit extension followed by #. When I call using this entry, with the phone connected to Obi110, it basically calls the remote system, but I do not get directed to the relevant extension automatically (I hear the recording with instructions to enter the extension but remote system does not receive the remaining inputs for the extension). If I connect phone directly to my PSTN, it works fine. Can similar task be achieved using a phone connected to Obi device and using line interface?

Thank you 

azrobert

There should be a zero delay in the DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute processing with the config I gave you. When you get an exact match with a rule and the dialed number can't match another rule you won't get a delay. When the dialed number can potentially match another rule with additional digits, there will be a 2 second delay. Make sure you don't have a rule like "xx." in the phone or line digit maps.

There is a delay routing a call to PSTN. Parms DialDelay, DialDigitOnTime and DialDigitOffTime in the Line definition will determine the delay. DialDelay should only add 1/2 second, although my OBi110 seems to delay a full second or slightly more. The other parms might add time dialing the number. This hasn't been a problem for me, so I never played with these parms. If you reduce them too much, it might stop working.

Since there is a delay when routing calls to PSTN, try adding 1 or 2 more pauses in your phone book entry.  A "#" will cause the OBi110 to immediately route a call. You shouldn't have to do this, but if you still have problems with delays try "xxx-xxx-xxxx# pp xxxxxx#".

If you just dial the number, can you manually enter the extension after the prompt?

azrobert

There is also a default 4 second delay before the OBi110 will start ringing on inbound calls. The parm is RingDelay on the Line definition. PSTN CallerID in N. America is transmitted between the 1st and 2nd ring. If you want to process a call (reroute or block) based on the CallerID, you need this delay for the OBi110 to acquire the CallerID before processing the call. If you're not processing the call you should be able to set this parm to "0".

ianobi

My experience of PSTN delays:

OBi Line Ports assume the worst case scenario when it comes to your PSTN line. A long line may need long DTMF tones when dialling. If your PSTN line is good quality, then you could try reducing these settings from the default 200 to something like:

Line Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > DialDigitOnTime: 80
Line Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > DialDigitOffTime: 80

These settings work for me. I would leave DialDelay at default.

Some have reported that these settings work well for them:

Line Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > DialDigitOnTime: 80
Line Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > DialDigitOffTime: 50

That's probably close to the limit even for a good PSTN line.

If there are a few numbers that you dial over PSTN a lot, then you might consider configuring them as OBi speed dials using trunk format:
li(12345678901)
Using trunk format avoids digit maps and all call processing and simply sends the call direct to line – you still have to wait for all the DTMF tones to be sent.

tre1

Thanks for all you tips. I will try those and post my experience here.
@azrobert: For dialing of extensions, adding additional two pauses (four pauses altogether) helped. However, I didn't notice a difference by adding "#" after the phone number (without adding additional pauses).

ng2016

I have a similar problem: I set up one of speed dial to call a regular conference bridge. But I have not been able to add the conference code that I need to punch in once the connection has been established. I tried to use "," or "p" to no avail. As soon as I add either one of these characters to the numbers on the speed dial entry, it breaks the speed dial process.

For example,
Speed Dial slot 5 --> 8005551212 works
But Sp Dial slot 5 --> 8005551212,,1234#   got me error message
Same with slot 5 --> 8005551212pp1234#

Any help?

Thanks!

azrobert

When you dial a number it is validated by the Phone Port and Primary line's Digitmap.
Then the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute routes the call.
The way you coded the speed dial, it is processed the same way.
There isn't a rule in the DigitMaps that match your speed dial string, so the call fails and you get a busy.
Code it like this: li(18005551212,,,,,,1234)
Now the digit maps and outbound route processing is bypassed and the call is routed directly to the Line port.
I forgot the duration of each pause, but it's not long and you will need a bunch of them.
Don't use "#".
These pauses ONLY work on the Line port!