News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo E911 problems

Started by since83, September 14, 2016, 06:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

since83

Hi All,

Using an Obi 100 with google voice on SP1 and Anveo E911 on SP2.  Google voice is working fine, but for several hours now my Anveo E911 service has been down.  Obitalk portal shows status as:

Register Failed: no response from server - bunch of numbers and dots; retrying

Anyone else having this problem today?  Any hints on how to fix?  Is this problem likely on my end or Anveo's (nothing noted on Anveo's status pages).  Have not had any problems with Anveo since I started with them about 20 months ago.  Money is in the account, so that is not the issue.

Thanks,

Since83

SteveInWA

Contact Anveo and get them to troubleshoot it.   You're paying them for it.

since83

Thanks. Did contact Anveo (though a support ticket).  They say nothing wrong on their end.  Told me to reboot cable modem, router, and obi 100.  Did so, but problem remains the same.  E911 service just won't register/connect on SP2 (complete failure after 20 months of perfect operation).  They say to look in obitalk for error relating to the SP2 slot.  Not quite sure what they are referring to, but there are no obvious errors in obitalk that I can see (should I be looking someplace special - I have browsed through the expert configuration pages).  Is it possible that Obi device SP2 slot is broken, but SP1 slot (being used for google voice) is OK?  Been down about 19 hours now.

Can someone suggest what to do next?  Would deleting the Anveo service then adding it back be an approach?  If so, are there any pointers?

Thanks,

Since83

since83

OK, I think I fixed it.  I followed the standard Obitalk troubleshooting steps.  Changed user agent port on SP2 port from Obitalk default 5081 to 5061.  Service is back up and running.  Does anyone have a reason why the default port would suddenly not work after 20 months?

Since83

Mango

Typically this happens when your router's NAT tables become corrupted.  This can survive a router reboot.

I would use OBi Expert Configuration to enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy and see if that solves the problem.

What router do you use?

since83

I use a Cisco/Linksys E3000 router (simultaneous dual band).  You are second person to mention a NAT issue.  What is best way to restore correct NAT tables?  I tried updating the router firmware, but the issue does not go away.  Again though, the service works on the 5061 port number.

Also, what advantage does enabling the Proxy Server Redundancy have over changing the port number?  I take it the setting is found under Service Providers, ITSP Profile B SIP.

Mango

X_ProxyServerRedundancy will (hopefully) cause the OBi to try another one of Anveo's PoPs, should this issue recur.  (They have several.)  If my guess is correct, this will have the same effect as changing the port number (new NAT mapping will be created), but it will happen automatically without you having to change settings.

You've probably already checked this, but just in case, make sure your E3000 receives a public IP address from your ISP.  If your modem is also acting as a router, you have a "double NAT" situation which makes this problem much more tricky to troubleshoot.  In this case, I would place the modem in bridge mode and let the E3000 do the LAN routing.

Alternate solutions which might work:

1) Increase your OBi's RegisterRetryInterval so that your router's corrupted NAT connection expires, and a new one can be created.  A quick Google search for "cisco e3000 udp timeout" did not produce any relevant results, so the number to use will be a guessing game.  If the problem comes back, you could try to unplug the network cable from your OBi for five minutes, then plug it back in.  If it doesn't register, then try to unplug the network cable for ten minutes.  Keep going up in increments of five minutes.  If for example it registers after being unplugged for fifteen minutes, you can set RegisterRetryInterval to 960.

2) Your router is compatible with Tomato firmware which does not have this issue (any more).  So, if you don't get things working with the stock Linksys firmware, that is an option.  If you do this, let me know so I can give you some pointers about configuring timeouts.

since83

Mango,

I can confirm your proxy server redundancy setting also works.  Even more interesting though, if I turn that setting off again, the E911 service still works, even under the original (obitalk standard)  port setting!  So now I am back to all obitalk default settings and everything seems to be working fine again.  Very odd....

BTW:  My modem (Motorola surfboard 6020) cannot perform as a router so all NAT is in my E3000 router.

Mango

That sounds reasonable.  The old (corrupted) NAT connection must have expired, so now the old port works again.