News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 with Anwering Machine and Fax

Started by ravennevar, September 15, 2016, 09:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravennevar

Hello Everyone!

I have an Obi 200 which has served me well for quite some time. It works great for faxes (both sending and receiving). However, I am trying to figure out how to best set it up with the rest of my equipment (Epson WF-3640 - Fax) in order to receive faxes automatically. My answering machine pick up at 4 rings and my fax at 5 rings (auto receive). The problem is some faxes are not coming through because of having to wait 5 rings. If I lower both the answering machine's and fax's rings to answer, then I may run into the issue of picking up the phone at the same time as the answering machine. I know this is a minor issue, but was wondering if the Obi 200 has any option within its setup that would allow my equipment to work better together.

Thanks!

azrobert

If your answering machine picks up before the fax, how do you ever receive faxes? Does the fax listen for a fax tone after the answering machine picks up?
Do you have a separate line (provider) for your fax.

ravennevar

I was receiving them manually before since I don't receive many. However, I set it to auto receive and do receive the majority, but some just stop ringing right around the time my answering machine picks up because of the long wait. So I miss these.

The Epson's manual mentions:

"If an answering machine is connected, make sure the product's Rings to Answer setting is set higher than the number of rings your answering machine is set to answer a call. For example, if the answering machine is set to pick up on the fourth ring, set the product to pick up on the fifth ring or later."

So I believe the fax does listen for a fax tone. If I set it up the other way, I would never get voice messages because the answering machine will not pick up. I just use the same number (GV) for both (home number and faxes). Will adding another GV number (exclusive for the fax) help in this case? I know it would in the Obi 202 since it has two phone ports.

Thanks again!

azrobert

Add a 2nd GV account on SP2 for your fax
Setup SP2 to have a double ring
Set fax to pickup on 1st ring
Setup your fax to only answer on a double distinctive ring
Your fax should have this option

Make the following config change using OBi Expert:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_DefaultRing: 3

Ring Tone #3 is a double ring

ravennevar

Thank you azrobert! I will give this a try.

tomcarp

Hi guys,
I don't own an Obihai device yet but I'm seriously looking to get either Obi200 or Obi202. I currently own a Magicjack and planning to ditch it. My current setup is:
Epson AIO Workforce WF-3640 with fax.
Panasonic DECT 6.0 Plus with Answering machine.
Magicjack
The way I currently do receive or send fax is disconnect the RJ11 from phone and connect it to the WF-3640 and it works.
My question is:
1. can I have 2 GV number registered on Obi200, one for phone and one for Fax?
2. Since there is only 1 RJ11 port on OB200, how can it connect to the phone and the fax?
3. I don't fax heavily but should I just get an Obi202 to connect both phone line and the fax line?
Thanks for your help.

LTN1

Quote from: tomcarp on January 13, 2017, 03:12:53 PM
Hi guys,
I don't own an Obihai device yet but I'm seriously looking to get either Obi200 or Obi202. I currently own a Magicjack and planning to ditch it. My current setup is:
Epson AIO Workforce WF-3640 with fax.
Panasonic DECT 6.0 Plus with Answering machine.
Magicjack
The way I currently do receive or send fax is disconnect the RJ11 from phone and connect it to the WF-3640 and it works.
My question is:
1. can I have 2 GV number registered on Obi200, one for phone and one for Fax?
2. Since there is only 1 RJ11 port on OB200, how can it connect to the phone and the fax?
3. I don't fax heavily but should I just get an Obi202 to connect both phone line and the fax line?
Thanks for your help.

The OBi202 is the best way to go--especially when it is on sale. However, if you must get an OBi200, what you can do is have a telephone line splitter (to answer question 1 also--yes, you can have 2 GV numbers registered on a 200) and plug it in your phone port on the back of the OBi device. The splitter, though a bit cumbersome, saves you from having to plug and unplug when you want to send or receive a fax. You just have to make sure the fax doesn't answer before the answering machine.

drgeoff

Check your fax machine.  Some have two RJ11 sockets for the specific purpose of having fax and phone on the same pair of wires without requiring a splitter.

tomcarp

Thanks for your speedy replies. After looking through my WF3640's manual, it says:
"Any phone or answering machine must be connected to the EXT port for your product to detect an
incoming fax call when the phone is picked up. Epson cannot guarantee compatibility with VoIP,
cable phone systems
".
So, I think I'll end up getting the Obi202 and dedicate one to be a fax number. And later put the built in router in a bridge mode, since I have an existing great router (Netgear R7000 Nighthawk). Plus the Obi200 and Obi202 are identical other than the 2 ports and a router and will perform the same, right?
Thanks again guys.

Tom

LTN1

Quote from: tomcarp on January 13, 2017, 06:17:17 PM
So, I think I'll end up getting the Obi202 and dedicate one to be a fax number. And later put the built in router in a bridge mode, since I have an existing great router (Netgear R7000 Nighthawk). Plus the Obi200 and Obi202 are identical other than the 2 ports and a router and will perform the same, right?
Thanks again guys.

Tom

I think you're making a wise move in getting the 202. Plus, you get to use the second line when you're not using it for faxing--especially when the first GV line is being used.

I used to have an OBi200 and while Obihai says it functions the same, I found the 202 to be clearer and sends/receives faxes better (it is as though it has better QOS handling). Maybe that was just a coincidence and could have been impacted by factors like my ISP being more stable, etc.--but that is just my experience using both.

But personally, my work has a landline for faxing. For me, it is worth the extra--for my practice.

tomcarp

Thanks LTN1, I'll go with Obi202 when I return from my trip.   :)