News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

end of life?

Started by nmstough, September 15, 2016, 06:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmstough

I got a promotion email today from Obi advertising a special price for Obi200 and Obi202 on Sept 27. But it said that the Obi100 and Obi110 have reached the end of their lives.  Is that true?  So we are all forced to buy another device at this time?  This is really unpleasant news and comes as quite a shock.   

SteveInWA

Quote from: nmstough on September 15, 2016, 06:18:11 PM
I got a promotion email today from Obi advertising a special price for Obi200 and Obi202 on Sept 27. But it said that the Obi100 and Obi110 have reached the end of their lives.  Is that true?  So we are all forced to buy another device at this time?  This is really unpleasant news and comes as quite a shock.  

That is some pretty absurd logic.  Very few consumer electronic products continue to be manufactured forever. The OBi 1x0 products are discontinued, but they will continue to work, as-is.  Obihai isn't sending some "kill switch" command to them.  Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  The only possible thing that might happen in the future, is if Google, for example, changes their service such that the OBi 1x0 devices can no longer authenticate.  No company is obligated to continue providing firmware updates for obsolete products.

When Ford discontinues selling some car model, they don't make all of those cars explode and force you to buy a new one, and you can keep driving your old Ford until you can no longer get it repaired.

The exact wording in the announcement was:

For those who are using the OBi100 or OBi110 (both have reached its End of Life) and wish to upgrade your device, this is also a great time to get the OBi200 or OBi202 as your replacement device. 

In other words, "We've stopped making the Ford Fairlane.  We're having a sale on Ford Focus next week.  Now would be a great time to get a Focus as your replacement car."

The blog explains in detail, what Obihai announced.

nmstough

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 15, 2016, 09:12:31 PM

That is some pretty absurd logic.  Very few consumer electronic products continue to be manufactured forever. The OBi 1x0 products are discontinued, but they will continue to work, as-is.  Obihai isn't sending some "kill switch" command to them.  Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  The only possible thing that might happen in the future, is if Google, for example, changes their service such that the OBi 1x0 devices can no longer authenticate.  No company is obligated to continue providing firmware updates for obsolete products.

When Ford discontinues selling some car model, they don't make all of those cars explode and force you to buy a new one, and you can keep driving your old Ford until you can no longer get it repaired.

In other words, "We've stopped making the Ford Fairlane.  We're having a sale on Ford Focus next week.  Now would be a great time to get a Focus as your replacement car."

The blog explains in detail, what Obihai announced.
I don't appreciate your nasty sarcasm.  I was only asking a question and didn't deserve the insult you delivered.  I didn't have the link to the blog sent as part of the email. 

Why don't you offer some helpful comments instead of attacking a poster? 

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 17, 2016, 04:17:41 PM
Your posting history speaks for itself.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=9090;sa=showPosts

The posting history shows a petty, whining, cheap and overall small individual. Why were you so gentle in your post Steve?

dircom

My Obi was offended by the words "big ugly device" :-\

LeoKing

Quote from: nmstough on September 15, 2016, 06:18:11 PM
I got a promotion email today from Obi advertising a special price for Obi200 and Obi202 on Sept 27. But it said that the Obi100 and Obi110 have reached the end of their lives.  Is that true?  So we are all forced to buy another device at this time?  This is really unpleasant news and comes as quite a shock.   

The 2 OBi110's I bought from OBihai store on Amazon.com 4 years ago are still working great with the latest firmware update OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw that I downloaded and did the update manually. So I just enjoy using them until they drop dead. They are running as good as my 200's and 202's. I paid $49 each and they've given me excellent service without any major problems in the last 4 years.

deathracer

Can the Obi200 access a POTS landline using the OBiLINE adapter just as the Obi110 does?
With my Obi110, I have it configured for landline as default and ** to access voip Google Voice

drgeoff

Quote from: deathracer on January 24, 2017, 11:47:58 AM
Can the Obi200 access a POTS landline using the OBiLINE adapter just as the Obi110 does?
With my Obi110, I have it configured for landline as default and ** to access voip Google Voice

In theory yes. But some users report being less than enthralled with the performance of OBiLINE, especially about echo levels. I have no first hand experience.