News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is my Obi dead?

Started by hodag, September 28, 2016, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodag

I have had an Obi202 since soon after they became available but I am having a strange problem.  I have a two-line desk phone plugged into the Phone 1 jack and two different lines from the same VOIP provider routed there.  ObiTalk shows both numbers as "Registered" and both the green lights are on steady.  When I try to call out, the green lights flash slowly depending on which line i have chosen so that seems normal.

My problem is that SP1 never rings the phone and when I have a voicemail waiting, it does not light up the message and I don't get the "stutter tone" either. (I know there is a message because my voicemail service forwards it as an email attachment, and I can press *97 to listen to the message.

I have a soft phone app installed on my cellular smart phone and SP1 will ring on that so I don't think this is a problem with my carrier.  I tried swapping a different phone but that didn't do anything, and just for good measure I swapped out the cable connecting the Obi to the phone (both were four conductor wires with RJ14 plugs).  SP2 rings as I would expect and like SP1 I can call out.

So I think this comes down to the Obi device.  I visually inspected the phone 1 jack and the wires don't seem bent or broken. Just for good measure I did the paper clip in the reset hole trick.  I have also tried to force a firmware update but get the "software update not available" message.  The Obi itself get a static IP address when I boot my router and that IP has been moved into the DMZ so there should be no issue with port forwarding or router problems.  The Obi device itself shows up on the active LAN client page.

Is this a defective Obi and is there anything I can do except replace it?

SteveInWA

It doesn't appear dead to me, based on your comments.

Which VoIP service provider are you using?

Two things you apparently haven't tried:

Delete and then re-configure SP1 and SP2 on the OBiTALK web portal, but this time, swap the SIP username and password for SP1 with the SIP username and password for SP2 (provision the number you were using on SP1 this time on SP2, and vice-versa for SP2).  Don't change anything on your telephone.  Now, what happens?  Did the symptom stay with the telephone number (username/PW)?

Many VoIP service providers won't let you configure the same credentials (SIP username/PW) on more than one user agent (ATA or softphone client) at the same time.  One client will grab control of the registration and prevent the other from ringing.  Disable the softphone client and test again.