News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone suddenly not ringing

Started by Ehecatl, August 05, 2016, 10:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ehecatl

Hi folks.. This is my 1st post here.  I've had my OBi100 for a couple of years, and it's been working flawlessly together with my Google Voice account.

I've searched and read through a number of old posts here, and know that OBiTALK cannot really offer much support for Google Voice issues. But the only posts I found here concerning Google Voice connected phones not ringing were from several years back. I'm wondering if anyone may have more current information.

Today two people had to call my cell phone after the 6 rings Google Voice is set to timed out without ringing.  I've tested my portable phone's ringer from its menu, and it functions properly.

Is there any chance anyone here may know if there's been any recent change in Google's support for not just voice calls, but specifically for the ability to ring a to an OBiTALK connected phone? 

I'll check to see if I can find a Google forum to ask about this.  If anyone is aware of any other forums where I might get feedback on this I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

drgeoff

As you made no mention of updating the firmware recently it is a fairly safe bet that you have not and I suspect that you cannot make outgoing GV calls either.

If so your plight is probably the same one that has been the #1 topic of posts here in the last two months. For example http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11408.msg75179#msg75179

Ehecatl

Hi drgeoff.  I'm sorry I forgot to mention I did indeed update my firmware just about a month ago.  I came right here and found that thread when I found the OBi100 not working.  

The firmware I installed was OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw.  Is it possible that a newer firmware version issued since?

Thanks

drgeoff

No, 2886 is the latest.

1. Were incoming and outgoing GV calls working after you updated the firmware?

2. Are outgoing GV calls working now?

Log in to google.com/voice and under Settings, Forwarding phones, check that 'Chat' is ticked.

Ehecatl

1. Were incoming and outgoing GV calls working after you updated the firmware?

Yes, and incoming ones were ringing here

2. Are outgoing GV calls working now?

Yes

Log in to google.com/voice and under Settings, Forwarding phones, check that 'Chat' is ticked.

Yes

drgeoff

On that GV setting page where Chat is ticked, click on the edit button immediately below the email address. Check that the Ring Schedule has appropriate values.

If still no sucess, need to determine which of these two is happening.

GV is not forwarding calls to your OBi.

or

GV is forwarding calls to your OBi, but something is amiss with your OBi/phone.

If you don't know the IP address of your OBi on your LAN, dial ***1 and it will be read out to you.

Point a browser at the OBi's IP address and log in.  admin and admin are the default name and password. On the left hand side click on Status, then click on Call History.  Do you see the missed calls from GV?

Also try dialling your GV number from another phone (eg a cellphone) while observing the PHONE LED on the OBi100. (That is the right most one.)  Does it begin to flash?

bitstopjoe

Just today this happened to me. For some reason the person who was trying to call AND text me was marked as SPAM in my Google Voice page. Found it by luck and once marked as NOT spam all worked fine, even the missed texts and voicemail were now in my inbox. No idea if this is your problem, but cant hurt to check

Joe Sica

Ehecatl

On that GV setting page where Chat is ticked, click on the edit button immediately below the email address. Check that the Ring Schedule has appropriate values.

Yes... these are set:
[X] Always ring on weekdays
[X] Always ring on weekends

Point a browser at the OBi's IP address and log in.  admin and admin are the default name and password. On the left hand side click on Status, then click on Call History.  Do you see the missed calls from GV?

I had just a friend call the phone, and then checked Call History on the OBi100.  It lists the 2 incoming calls.

Also try dialling your GV number from another phone (eg a cellphone) while observing the PHONE LED on the OBi100. (That is the right most one.)  Does it begin to flash?

Yes.  I could see the LEDs blinking as the 2 calls were coming in.  Hmmm... I ran the ring test from the hand held cordless phone, and the phone rings from there.  I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the connecting wires, as I'm able to call out okay.

Ehecatl

Quote from: bitstopjoe on August 08, 2016, 02:03:07 PM
Just today this happened to me. For some reason the person who was trying to call AND text me was marked as SPAM in my Google Voice page. Found it by luck and once marked as NOT spam all worked fine, even the missed texts and voicemail were now in my inbox. No idea if this is your problem, but cant hurt to check

Wow... I had no idea people could text my GV account from a mobile phone.  Am not having that problem of anyone simultaneously calling & texting me though.  But thanks for the suggestion bitstopjoe

EDIT: Got out the brand new Panasonic cordless phone Amazon sent that had a missing clip in the box.  They sent me a replacement and let me keep it.  So I just set it up, ran the same test, and found it doesn't ring with incoming GV calls either.

drgeoff

Beg, borrow or steal another phone. Does it ring?

Ehecatl

Quote from: drgeoff on August 08, 2016, 03:13:30 PM
Beg, borrow or steal another phone. Does it ring?

Didn't see you'd replied already drgeoff. Yeah, I just edited my last post to add that I tested it with another phone and am still getting it to ring.

bitstopjoe

I didnt mean they were texting while calling at the same time. I meant they tried texting and calling me. I didnt get either. I would still check to see if the number calling you has been marked as Spam. The person calling me, I JUST talked to two weeks ago, and then somehow his number was flagged as Spam.
Yep I found out one can txt via the Goggle Voice page by accident. Works well, only thing is one cant see pics if they are sent.

Joe Sica

Ehecatl

Ah... So your phone didn't ring for some reason, and you found the call listed in your GV SPAM folder.  Okay.  There's nothing in there in my account, & all these new test calls are listed normally in the inbox.  I also had no idea people were leaving me voicemail that I could access from my account.  :)

drgeoff

Please confirm that the phone is plugged directly in to the OBi, and not via house wiring or any other accessory.

It is possible that the circuitry in the OBi that generates the ringing voltage has failed. The only cure for that is a replacement OBi. The OBi200 is usually recommended over the older OBi100.

bitstopjoe

Quote from: Ehecatl on August 08, 2016, 03:39:59 PM
Ah... So your phone didn't ring for some reason, and you found the call listed in your GV SPAM folder.  Okay.  There's nothing in there in my account, & all these new test calls are listed normally in the inbox.  I also had no idea people were leaving me voicemail that I could access from my account.  :)

Yep pretty cool huh?

I "assume" you clicked on MORE and then SPAM, right? That is where mine was hidden...
Sorry I was no help, just thought it odd the SAME THING happened to me just today which is why I replied..
Good Luck

Joe Sica

Ehecatl

Well for whatever the reason, my phone just rang.  Only twice.  Probably someone who had mis-dialed.  But when I called the Google Voice number from my cell phone I confirmed that the darned thing is working again! Can only guess it was a problem at Google's end of things that got magically resolved.

Alto2

My Obi110 also stopped ringing a week or so ago. I double-checked that the Google Chat option is checked. I updated the firmware 2-3 weeks ago to OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw.

I think it's interesting that I'm not the only one having this problem. Also interesting--occasionally it DOES ring, but when it does, the ring is very, very choppy, like it's being interrupted.

Incoming calls show up in my Google Voice history, but I never hear them.