News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 2-Port Internet Router

Started by Hocker, September 30, 2016, 03:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hocker

Just got my OBi202 and connected everything.

Phone seems to be working great, but my internet speed is greatly affected.

I have a 50 ft ethernet cable run from my router under my carpet and directly connected to my computer.  I specifically got the OBi202 due to the 2-Port Internet Router with Voice Packet Prioritization.  My plan was to connect the cable from the router to the OBi202 and then a cable from the OBi202 to my computer.  I have done this and it all works fine.

However, my internet was testing at 180MBs before the OBi202 and is now running at 30MBs with the OBi202 connected. This is not when I am on the phone ... just when it is connected and not in use.

Are there any settings that might get my internet speed back?  Or if not all the way back to 180MBs at least closer?

Thanks in advance,

Larry H

Taoman

The OBi202 throughput in Router Mode is 30Mbps max. You'd be better off putting it in bridge mode. With the kind of bandwidth pipe you're rolling with I'm surprised you'd care about QoS (Voice Packet Prioritization).

Quote from: OBi Device Administration GuideIn addition to being a NAT (Network Address Translation) router, the OBi202/OBi302 includes a DHCP server, a DNS forwarder and a basic firewall. It supports port forwarding, DMZ, QoS, and VLAN (802.1q). The maximum routing throughput between the WAN and the LAN side is approximately 30 Mbps.  This speed can be achieved when there are no active calls in the system. Otherwise the throughput will be limited to a slower speed to accommodate the load for voice processing. Note that if the WAN side is connected to an Internet access device directly, then the throughout could be further limited by the speed of the Internet uplink and downlink.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on September 30, 2016, 05:12:30 PM
The OBi202 throughput in Router Mode is 30Mbps max. You'd be better off putting it in bridge mode. With the kind of bandwidth pipe you're rolling with I'm surprised you'd care about QoS (Voice Packet Prioritization).

Quote from: OBi Device Administration GuideIn addition to being a NAT (Network Address Translation) router, the OBi202/OBi302 includes a DHCP server, a DNS forwarder and a basic firewall. It supports port forwarding, DMZ, QoS, and VLAN (802.1q). The maximum routing throughput between the WAN and the LAN side is approximately 30 Mbps.  This speed can be achieved when there are no active calls in the system. Otherwise the throughput will be limited to a slower speed to accommodate the load for voice processing. Note that if the WAN side is connected to an Internet access device directly, then the throughout could be further limited by the speed of the Internet uplink and downlink.

+1

If you need another port for your computer at the end of that cable run, then buy a simple 5-port gigabit Ethernet switch.  Plug the end of the 50-foot cable into the switch, and plug the OBi and the computer into the switch.  Aside from the OBi's router throughput limitation, its Ethernet ports max out at 100Mbps ("Fast Ethernet"), and you've got a faster Internet connection.

Also, with regard to the 50-foot cable, hopefully you used Category 6 cabling, and it isn't in a spot where people are going to regularly step on it while walking on the carpet.  It isn't designed for that kind of stress.

Hocker

Thanks for the replies!!!!  ;D

If anyone else is interested, I just moved the OBi202 by my router and took a long telephone cord and ran it next to the ethernet cable. 

I am using CAT6 and the cable is running along my walls.  It is really on top of the carpet and pushed under the trim along the walls around the outside of the room - so it is not being stepped on.

Everything is working great, but if I had known I was going to configure this way I would have saved a few $$s and got the 201 vs the 202. I only got the 202 for the router functionality. (maybe at some point in the future I will need some of the other features)

dircom

If you ever want to have two independent conversations at the same time, (Wife gets a call, and you want to have another line to call in/out on) then a 202 will do that.

I'm not sure why they don't have a 202 non router version.

drgeoff

Quote from: dircom on October 04, 2016, 06:25:17 AM
I'm not sure why they don't have a 202 non router version.
The 202 is easily set into non-router mode.

http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543012 and read section under 'IP Routing and LAN Switching Features (OBi202 and OBi302 Only)'.

dircom

Is selection 31 all that is necessary for bridge mode?
(value=1)

drgeoff

Quote from: dircom on October 04, 2016, 11:32:49 AM
Is selection 31 all that is necessary for bridge mode?
(value=1)

Yes.

It can also be set in the GUI.  See screengrab.