News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Absolute Newb wanting to add another Obi at a different location....

Started by Culbertson, October 13, 2016, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Culbertson

Hiya,
I know very little about the "programming" behind the obi.   I set up a VOIP phone through an Obi200 at our house pretty much by following the quick start guide.   Well, now I'd like to add a 2nd Obi200 at a physically different location (and WAN) but have it be on the same number....so it would receive and send calls using the same number.   I've checked with my provider and they support this.    Do I simply copy the very same configuration details from the first OBI and enter them into the 2nd?   Or do I need to set the 2nd one up differently somehow?    I'm sorry for the stupid question but appreciate any advice you can give.    Thanks much.

drgeoff

Yes, usually the only 3 pieces of info you need are the server address, your SIP account username and password.

Lavarock7

The configuration may differ. I believe some companies allow you to have multiple devices log into the same account with exactly the same credentials.

The provider Voip.Ms suggests that you create two separate sub-accounts and have each device log into its own subaccount. Then you create a ring group that includes both sub-accounts.

A call comes in, goes to the ring group and both phones ring. Unanswered calls could then be sent to voicemail. A plus for this setup is that each phone can be given an "extension" or internal number and can call each other. Thus if one adapter is in a remote location, they can call the other adapter and have the phone ring.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Culbertson

Thank you folks.   I've reached out to the supplier and all they indicated was that is was definitely possible and "Yes setup the second like the first. The only thing you might need to change is the local SIP port (even this may be automatic)".     So with this in mind, it sounds as though I should follow your suggestions to set it all up on the same account and go from there.    I hope to travel to the second location in the coming weeks so we'll see if it works.    Thanks much for the help!

drgeoff

Quote from: Culbertson on October 13, 2016, 02:44:30 PM
Thank you folks.   I've reached out to the supplier and all they indicated was that is was definitely possible and "Yes setup the second like the first. The only thing you might need to change is the local SIP port (even this may be automatic)".     So with this in mind, it sounds as though I should follow your suggestions to set it all up on the same account and go from there.    I hope to travel to the second location in the coming weeks so we'll see if it works.    Thanks much for the help!
Changing the local SIP port may not be required especially as the two OBis are to be on separate connections to the internet.

Culbertson

Thank you.    I'll give it a go without changing the SIP first and see what happens.    Appreciate the help.    Now to go copy all my settings on the first Obi so I don't create a mess setting up the second!
Cheers.