News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Paid numbers with Obi & Google voice

Started by ProfTech, October 14, 2016, 03:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfTech

I did some testing with a paid [US] number using the Google Voice web page and I get a pop up that reads "This call costs 1 cent" that has an Ok button. This begs the question "Can I call a paid number using an Obi?" Does Google play a prompt that says "Press one to complete your call" or simply connect the call IF you have credit on your account?

SteveInWA

If you call a telephone number from an OBi-attached phone, provisioned with Google Voice, that is not free, then one of the following things will happen:

• If you have calling credit on your Google account, then the call will complete, with no announcement of the cost per minute.  This is because OBi devices emulate Google Chat clients, and if you were using (the now-discontinued) Chat app on a computer or other device, it would display the per-minute cost on the screen.
  • If you don't have sufficient calling credit on your Google account to pay for the first minute of calling, then you will hear an error message.

ProfTech

Thanks for the update. I'm actually using Simon's gateway and was getting ring-ring-ring but I don't currently have a balance on the account. Oops I re-read your post which seems to indicate I should have heard a message but since GV doesn't support early media I wouldn't hear it. Leaves me wondering if the call would connect if I had a balance. I might put some money on there at a later date to test.  :(