News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New unannounced OBi Phone firmware / OBiPhone bug discussion

Started by Mango, October 21, 2016, 10:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango

http://fw.obihai.com/OBiPhone-5-0-0-3806.fw
http://fw.obihai.com/OBiPhone-5-0-2-3855.fw
http://fw.obihai.com/OBiPhone-5-1-2-3855.fw

The latest version posted in the forums is 5.0.0 build 3497.

I don't know what the differences between 5.0.0, 5.0.2, and 5.1.2 are.

I haven't yet tested these, so use at your own risk.

Mango

So on October 1, I emailed Obihai support asking how to disable the main menu, since I don't want users to be able to perform firmware upgrades or reboots.  They told me that couldn't be done because my firmware was old.  In the customarily frustrating Obihai way, they stopped replying despite me asking three times over a week and a half what the new firmware version was.

Answer: this feature was added in 5.0.0.3806.  It's located in IP Phone >> Phone Settings >> GUI Menus.

I haven't tried 5.0.2 and 5.1.2 yet.

Mango

3806 has a bug.

If you disconnect an outgoing call, and then someone calls you within a few seconds, the phone sometimes (but not always) reboots with no reason code.

I saved the syslog of this.

Edit: 5.0.2.3855 exhibits the same bug.  This time, I saw reboot reason 91 in the syslog.  I don't know what this means because the manual only goes up to 31.

WelshPaul

Hi Mango,

Both versions 5.0.2 Build(3855) and 5.1.2 Build(3855) are the latest releases for the OBi1xxx devices. I don't think OBIHAI are prioritising the general public at present when it comes to both firmware and release notes.

The difference between 5.0.2 and 5.1.2 is that OBIHAI (from what I can see) have overhauled the web GUI source code. The change log for both versions are identical, so under the hood they appear to be the same! I can also confirm that the change logs for both 5.0.2 Build(3855) and 5.1.2 Build(3855) don't list the bug you're experiencing as being fixed.

A google search regarding "reason 91" came back with:

QuoteOBihai support, they told me that "Such reboot 91 indicates there are some incorrect combinations of parameters that cause the OBi to reboot."

See here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10463.0

In the above topic it's an OBi200 being discussed, I will try and reproduce your the bug you describe when I get time tomorrow.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mango

Thanks!  I'd appreciate knowing your findings.

I forgot to mention I don't have Google Voice configured on this device.  The symptoms were observed with SIP calls.

SteveInWA

Quote from: WelshPaul on October 22, 2016, 04:28:35 PM
Hi Mango,

Both versions 5.0.2 Build(3855) and 5.1.2 Build(3855) are the latest releases for the OBi1xxx devices. I don't think OBIHAI are prioritising the general public at present when it comes to both firmware and release notes.

The difference between 5.0.2 and 5.1.2 is that OBIHAI (from what I can see) have overhauled the web GUI source code. The change log for both versions are identical, so under the hood they appear to be the same! I can also confirm that the change logs for both 5.0.2 Build(3855) and 5.1.2 Build(3855) don't list the bug you're experiencing as being fixed.

A google search regarding "reason 91" came back with:

QuoteOBihai support, they told me that "Such reboot 91 indicates there are some incorrect combinations of parameters that cause the OBi to reboot."

See here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10463.0

In the above topic it's an OBi200 being discussed, I will try and reproduce your the bug you describe when I get time tomorrow.

Please explain a) where you are finding these versions, b) where you are finding release notes, and c) how you know which is "latest"?  Is this coming from a service-provider-targeted source?

WelshPaul

Hi Mango,

Quote from: Mango on October 22, 2016, 06:30:45 PM
Thanks!  I'd appreciate knowing your findings.

I forgot to mention I don't have Google Voice configured on this device.  The symptoms were observed with SIP calls.

I have tested both 5.0.2 BUILD(3855) and 5.1.2 BUILD(3855) with sipgate.co.uk, I was unable to replicate the issue you're experiencing. ???

When testing with 5.1.2 BUILD(3855), out of the 20 or so calls I made, one inbound call failed to produce any ringtone on the OBi1032 although the phone clearly indicated an incoming call was in progress. Also, the ear peace on the phone I was calling the OBi1032 from was also silent.

Experienced no other issues myself. Oh, and I was wrong when I said:

Quote from: WelshPaulThe difference between 5.0.2 and 5.1.2 is that OBIHAI (from what I can see) have overhauled the web GUI source code.

Both 5.0.2 and 5.1.2 do appear to have the same GUI updates. I'm not sure what the differences are!

EDIT: I should of pointed out in the above that I configured my OBi1032 via it's local web GUI, it's not registered with the OBiTALK portal.

----

Hi Steve,

It's been a while since we spoke. I hope all is well with you?

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 22, 2016, 06:52:16 PM
Please explain a) where you are finding these versions, b) where you are finding release notes, and c) how you know which is "latest"?  Is this coming from a service-provider-targeted source?

To answer questions A, B and C - OBIHAI

For the record - I haven't published firmware links or made available any firmware files (that are not already publicly posted in this thread: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 by OBIHAI).

Although, it's not hard to find any updated firmware files! They are available on publicly accessible links and their file names are almost identical. The same can be said for any change logs.

Very easy to create a small script that will scan for valid firmware links hosted at http://fw.obihai.com
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mango

Thanks to Paul's suggestion that the problem didn't happen with his settings, after MUCH trial and error (and probably reducing the life of my phone's flash memory by half) I was able to isolate the configuration that was causing the problem:

User Settings >> User Preferences >> DefaultRingtone /data/ringtones/SMS.722

That ringtone causes the phone to reboot if a new incoming call arrives within a few seconds of disconnecting another call.  In my tests it is totally repeatable.

I changed my ringtone to /data/ringtones/BB.722 and was able to reproduce the problem.  However, the problem did not happen with Office C.wav or Office A.wav.

WelshPaul

I used the phones default settings when preforming my test.

The factory default for the "DefaultRingtone" parameter is "/data/ringtones/Office A.wav" I believe? Explains why I never experienced the issue.

Nice sleuthing Mango!
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Hi Paul; all's well here in my little OBi-family, with a 202, a 110 (on the shelf), a 1022 and a 1032, and the two 200s I support for friends.  Thanks for that information.  I updated my 1022 and 1032 phones with 5.1.2.3855, and both seem to work fine, although I am not going to devote much time to extensive testing.  Perhaps you ought to tell Sherman that you'd volunteer to be the forum's firmware section editor.   ;) ;D

Regarding ringtones on the IP phones; early on, I discovered that the default ringtone didn't support distinctive ring patterns, so I switched to "Bell C.dat", which does work with DR.

Mango

Obihai Support responded.  Their rep says I am using a "very old" firmware version and that I should be using at least 5.0.2.

I said in my original message to them that I am using 5.0.2.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on October 24, 2016, 04:24:24 PM
Obihai Support responded.  Their rep says I am using a "very old" firmware version and that I should be using at least 5.0.2.

I said in my original message to them that I am using 5.0.2.

So on October 1, I emailed Obihai support asking how to disable the main menu, since I don't want users to be able to perform firmware upgrades or reboots.  They told me that couldn't be done because my firmware was old.  In the customarily frustrating Obihai way, they stopped replying despite me asking three times over a week and a half what the new firmware version was.

Answer: this feature was added in 5.0.0.3806.  It's located in IP Phone >> Phone Settings >> GUI Menus.

I haven't tried 5.0.2 and 5.1.2 yet.

Not defending Obihai support, but... in your original ticket to them, you WERE running 5.0.0, so perhaps the rep was just lazy and didn't pay attention to the fact that you had since upgraded.

Aside from that:

During the early days of my ownership of my 1032, it had constant reboots.  It turned out that I was using a TP-Link POE adapter that was defective/poor quality, and so the phone wasn't getting reliable power.  As soon as I took that POS POE ( ::) ) adapter off, and used a regular power wall wart instead, I haven't had any reboots since.

And, dare I suggest, you might have some corrupt bits in the phone's config.  It would be worthwhile to try a factory restore, and then the minimal amount of configuration necessary to perform another test.

Mango

Good thought.  No doubt he remembered a ticket from three weeks ago that he still hasn't answered yet.

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 24, 2016, 04:41:37 PMIt would be worthwhile to try a factory restore, and then the minimal amount of configuration necessary to perform another test.

That's a great suggestion.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  All this time I've been trying to diagnose the phone's problems with acupuncture.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on October 24, 2016, 08:02:14 PM
Good thought.  No doubt he remembered a ticket from three weeks ago that he still hasn't answered yet.

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 24, 2016, 04:41:37 PMIt would be worthwhile to try a factory restore, and then the minimal amount of configuration necessary to perform another test.

That's a great suggestion.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  All this time I've been trying to diagnose the phone's problems with acupuncture.

Perhaps acupuncture would improve your attitude.  Nowhere in your discussion so far, have you mentioned doing a factory restore.

I'm not defending Obihai support; I was merely pointing out that some bonehead who may have read your ticket may not have been paying attention, and a polite reply that yes, you have indeed upgraded the firmware since the ticket was opened, might be worthwhile.

During the beta test, the phones were randomly rebooting.  I simply mention this as one reason that the rep would have wanted to eliminate that possibility.

I also mentioned that power supply issues could make the phone reboot, as happened to me, as a FYI.

I'll remember to not reply to any of your posts in the future.

WelshPaul

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 23, 2016, 09:09:12 AM
Hi Paul; all's well here in my little OBi-family, with a 202, a 110 (on the shelf), a 1022 and a 1032, and the two 200s I support for friends.  Thanks for that information.  I updated my 1022 and 1032 phones with 5.1.2.3855, and both seem to work fine, although I am not going to devote much time to extensive testing.  Perhaps you ought to tell Sherman that you'd volunteer to be the forum's firmware section editor.   ;) ;D

Regarding ringtones on the IP phones; early on, I discovered that the default ringtone didn't support distinctive ring patterns, so I switched to "Bell C.dat", which does work with DR.

Good, nice to hear that you're keeping well. I haven't spoken to Sherman for some time now, can't hurt dropping him an email I suppose. ;D

It's a shame that nobody is updating the firmware/release notes section of the forum, i'd happily volunteer to be the forum's firmware section editor and keep it all updated if need be.

My little OBi-family only consists of is an OBi202 now. :-[
I still have several 100's, 110's, 200's, 202's and a 1032 (plus several accessories). I would use the OBi1032 as my primary phone but sadly the OBi1032 doesn't match an inbound calls CLI to that saved in the phones phonebook.  :-\
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mango

Quote from: WelshPaul on October 25, 2016, 02:05:38 AMI would use the OBi1032 as my primary phone but sadly the OBi1032 doesn't match an inbound calls CLI to that saved in the phones phonebook.

That's a shame.  I didn't notice that but I tested just now and you are correct.  The phone does display the picture, so I know it found the correct record.  I tried populating both the Name and First/Last fields.  The manual says this:

QuoteCaller's name and number are displayed on the screen when available. When only the caller number is available, the phone will attempt to match the number against the phone book or buddy list to find a corresponding entry. If one is found, it uses the name and picture from that entry to display on the screen.

Hopefully this is something that can be solved.  Although it should work whether or not a name is available with the call (like other phones do) I did test with and without.

Edit to add: the name IS displayed if I make an outgoing call to a number in the phone book.

WelshPaul

I have reported the issue many times, mainly before the phone was released during beta testing. I even informed Sherman directly during a phone call once the IP phone had been publicly released and was told "he'd look into" it but unfortunately to date it has never been addressed.

Never before have I come across a phone that couldn't do this until I obtained an Obi1032. It's even been mentioned on this forum in the past. Sadly my OBi1032 sits gathering dust only to be brushed off once in a blue moon. Probably one of the reasons why the OBihai IP phones are no longer sold in the UK.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mango

Found another bug in 3806 and above (but not earlier).

If the screen saver is on, (I use Turn Off Display) and you press a digit, two digits appear on the screen: one for the keypress and one for release.

Mango

Thanks Paul.  You found the new versions before I did this time!

Tentatively, 722 ringtones seem to be working.  I made about 20 test calls using the same method as before and did not observe any problems.  The http://fw.obihai.com/Release_Notes_Phone_5.0.3.3902.pdf release notes don't mention this, so maybe it was fixed by coincidence, or maybe it was related to the 3.5mm or RJ9 headset bug (I don't have a headset).

Incoming calls do not display name from phone book bug is still present.

Two digits appear when one is pressed while screen saver is on bug is still present, though I only reported that a few days ago, so it is a little premature to expect that to be fixed already.

nmap scan on the phone no longer causes the phone to reboot.  I didn't post about this before because I just discovered it.  It still causes loss of audio.  It seems very easy to DoS this phone, although since it's designed to be used behind a firewall, that shouldn't be a huge concern.