News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 can't change password???

Started by mogman, October 30, 2016, 04:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogman

OK I have my 202 up and going, manually installed the latest firmware, also got Google voice up and running, had to install it as my router so I can administrate it on my network, lacks a few features as a router..
  BUT I cannot change the admin password, I change it, submit it, then I am prompted to log in, I then log in using the new password, but if I reboot the OBi202 it goes back to the default password.  ??? ??? ???

drgeoff

1. See sticky post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109 for full story. Short version follows:

OBis can be configured via the portal or the local onboard web GUI.  The former is the default and any changes made locally will be overwritten sooner or later eg when the device reboots.  If you really want to configure locally, after setting up GV on the portal, you can disable remote provisioning. Log in locally, click on System Management, then on Auto Provisioning and under Obitalk provisioning, change Method to Disabled. Any settings you then make locally, including the password, will then stick.

However virtually everything you can configure locally can be done via Expert Mode on the portal.  This is particularly useful for remote devices that you don't have easy physical access to.  Even when Obitalk provisioning is enabled you can still view configuration settings locally.  And logging in locally is the only way to see the Call History.

If using Obitalk provisioning you set the Admin password (for local access) on the portal (basic or expert mode).

2.  You do not need to use the OBi as a router.  As you have discovered, it is not a particularly good router by current standards.  Throughput is limited to around 30 Mbit/s.

As I said in a reply to one of your previous posts, access to the local GUI from the 202's WAN interface is disabled by default.  But it can be enabled. System Management, Device Admin. Under Web Server, tick the Access from WAN box.  You can then connect the 202's WAN port and all your other wired devices to LAN ports on a better router and the PC(s) will be able to access the 202.

Or put the 202 into bridge mode.  It becomes a 3 port ethernet switch - LAN and WAN sockets become equal and the 202's internals are on the third port.  Router Configuration, LAN Settings. Change Operation Mode to Bridge and connect either ethernet socket to a better router.

mogman

Thanks, I did see the box to allow access on the WAN after posting, will give the other stuff a shot.
30 meg limit not a big problem at this time as I am out in the boonies with moderate service, I have to open a ticket with my ISP to have my mac address registered every time I change routers so I will run this one a while.

drgeoff

Some routers will let you set the WAN side MAC address to anything you choose.

mogman

I did not know that, I will have to check it out, the great thing about the Google talk was it was SOOO easy, basically set itself up, which is also the Bad thing, I have an account with ONSIP and am totally clueless on how to set up the account in the OBIHAI, looking for a tutorial now. probably would be much easier if I had the online support, but as I said I just don't do Amazon Pay ::)

drgeoff

Quote from: mogman on October 31, 2016, 04:18:26 PM
I did not know that, I will have to check it out, the great thing about the Google talk was it was SOOO easy, basically set itself up, which is also the Bad thing, I have an account with ONSIP and am totally clueless on how to set up the account in the OBIHAI, looking for a tutorial now. probably would be much easier if I had the online support, but as I said I just don't do Amazon Pay ::)
https://support.onsip.com/hc/en-us/articles/204028630-OBiTalk-ATA-device