News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling in to Google Voice, leaving voice mail issues/questions

Started by mo832, October 31, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

I have noticed some strange behavior with GV. If I call in to my GV number from an outside line, if there is no answer, the GV robot answers and you can leave a voice message, or press * and enter your pin and it lets you retrieve msgs or place a call, etc. This has been working for me from a completely separate number.... BUT if I use my Obi connected phone on SP1 to call itself, or use SP1 to call SP2 (GV > callcentric > SP2), The robot answers, but it will not do anything when I dial * or any other key. It completely ignores key presses and just goes straight to message record. I have tried multiple handsets.

1. Is there some reason this action is failing (by design)? DTMF seems to fail calling self, but works on other outside DTMF systems.

2. Is there another way to call into my own GV number in order to place an outgoing call from the handset vs. using the GV web page "call" button?

Separate issue:

3. When leaving a voice mail on GV, are there any options for replaying the message, delete/re-record, etc? I couldn't find any keys worked there as well.

4. Where do I find the options/keys/menus for using GV VM ?

drgeoff

Try changing the DTMFMethod setting of your OBi.  It is under Service Providers, ITSPA (or B if GV is set up on that), General.

If you normally configure your OBi using the portal, you'll need to use Expert Mode.

mo832

Thanks, drgeoff. Well, re: DTMF, I thought I solved that one years ago. I did whatever was suggested on the other thread, and after that any future tests on OUTSIDE dtmf systems (banks, airlines, etc) started to work fine. I really don't think that is the problem, and I would hate to then lose the DTMF for every other phone. Just my feeling, but am open to trying.

Are you saying that this situation I described (first item in OP) does not happen with you?? Have you tried it and does it work for you?

mo832

Please- looking for some further input. Anyone? Refer to top post.

drgeoff: can you answer my follow-up?

Here's a quick question on one part of my post: For a caller getting to voicemail, is their only option to simply speak at the beep and then hang up? No keys to press for further options, or to erase, or to replay? etc.

mo832

I know this question has been ignored for a long time, and that is usually a hint that nobody has any interest. But, it's a simple question that wouldn't be hard to check, if someone would be so kind.

I had noticed that the boards were practically dead the last several weeks, but it appears it has picked up. Some of the resident "gurus" like SteveinWA and drgeoff have been spotted ;). Can anyone offer some input please?

SteveInWA

Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 12:43:28 PM
1. Is there some reason this action is failing (by design)? DTMF seems to fail calling self, but works on other outside DTMF systems.

This happening because of some settings issue you have caused.  If you enable the OBiTALK option to use your Google Voice number with a security alarm system, it causes DTMF recognition failures.  Go look at your settings.

2. Is there another way to call into my own GV number in order to place an outgoing call from the handset vs. using the GV web page "call" button?

Why?  Just place the call directly from the Google Voice number:  pick up the phone and make the call using your Google Voice SP.

Separate issue:

3. When leaving a voice mail on GV, are there any options for replaying the message, delete/re-record, etc? I couldn't find any keys worked there as well.

The options work, but your OBi is mis-configured.

You find them in your ear.  Just listen to Kiki prompt you with the options.

LTN1

Quote from: mo832 on December 21, 2016, 09:48:40 AM
I know this question has been ignored for a long time, and that is usually a hint that nobody has any interest. But, it's a simple question that wouldn't be hard to check, if someone would be so kind.

Off tangent here...but I want to respond to how some people, when they can't find or do something, sometimes think it is easy or simple for someone else. It may be simple but it may not. If it was truly that simple, the person asking can put in a few minutes researching it to find the answer.

In my professional work, an answer may (and I stress, MAY) be simple for me to answer--but that was the result of 8+ years of training and numerous years of practice in that area. Whether a client or patient intends it or not, I find it demeaning that someone would assume a question(s) should be easy when they have no clue how to get the answer even if they spent hundreds of hours researching it.

Very few technical answers are simple by itself--except maybe the fundamentals of "Will I die if I stop breathing...can someone really sue me for no reason, etc.?" Those answers are simply yes. On the other hand, "Why am I having a hard time breathing or how do I defend myself against a frivolous lawsuit (and the like)?" are not simple...even if they could be simple for the professional with a dozen years of training and practice.

If a person doesn't know how to answer a question after a few minutes of Googling the forum or the web, the answer is not simple. Don't assume it to be simple for someone else--especially when many variables could alter the answer--like user error that wasn't disclosed--or even hardware issues, primary or third party.

mo832

In response to the previous post, the simple part, which has nothing to do with how complex it is or isn't, or how it can be searched, has to do with someone else trying it on their phone to see if the results match. That is "simple", but not possible with a single person or machine. It is not a technical problem, it is more a situational problem.

My second set of questions are merely informational- do these options exist or not? This is simple and quick for someone who has the prior knowledge, and one would expect to find several of those folks on here.

I don't think that is demeaning, and I did not intend it that way.

mo832

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 21, 2016, 10:49:37 AM
Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

This happening because of some settings issue you have caused.  If you enable the OBiTALK option to use your Google Voice number with a security alarm system, it causes DTMF recognition failures.  Go look at your settings.

I don't have an alarm system and have never fooled with that area. What should I be looking for? Are *you* able to do what I have described? I have no DTMF issues with remote systems, only within the obi setup, and *only* when calling back into itself. I can successfully use dtmf when dialing out or when using **9, etc.

Why?  Just place the call directly from the Google Voice number:  pick up the phone and make the call using your Google Voice SP.

I do this with one SP line. But the other SP line is setup for callcentric for CNAM, and the only way to place a GV call this way is to use the web call button, unless I can get the GV attendant to work

Separate issue:

The options work, but your OBi is mis-configured.

What options?? I am not even using an Obi sometimes when I call into GV from an outside line. The obi box never enters the picture. Are you sure you didn't mean the OBI options? I am referring to replay, erase, etc when LEAVING a message (e.g. a friend calling me)

You find them in your ear.  Just listen to Kiki prompt you with the options.

is there a printed menu/tree somewhere?

SteveInWA

This is exactly why nobody wanted to answer your questions.  You have a long track record of asking questions that demonstrate an unwillingness or inability to understand the technology, read the documentation, test things and figure out the answers.  Value and respect other people's time and take some responsibility to learn on your own.

An OBi device that is properly configured to use Google Voice WILL simply work, including DTMF.  You don't need to ask other people to run experiments for you.  If you are having these basic issues, then delete the Google Voice configuration off of your OBi completely, then add it back again by clicking the SP and following the instructions.

You do not need to call your own OBi number.  You simply configure it to use the Google Voice SP as the default for outbound calls, and then pick up the phone and call the number.  The other SP will be used with your CC number for INbound calls.

No, there is no printed menu tree for the voicemail options spoken to you over the IVR.  It's unnecessary.  There are no hidden or secret options.  Kiki will prompt you with the available options.  If you want to write your own menu tree, then push all the buttons and write down what happens.

drgeoff

Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 01:25:47 PM
Thanks, drgeoff. Well, re: DTMF, I thought I solved that one years ago. I did whatever was suggested on the other thread, and after that any future tests on OUTSIDE dtmf systems (banks, airlines, etc) started to work fine. I really don't think that is the problem, and I would hate to then lose the DTMF for every other phone. Just my feeling, but am open to trying.

Are you saying that this situation I described (first item in OP) does not happen with you?? Have you tried it and does it work for you?
I don't have GV configured on my Obi110.  I do have GV configured on an Asterisk PBX and the Obi110 is an extension on the PBX.  I can call my GV number and it responds to keypresses on the phone.

LTN1

Quote from: mo832 on December 21, 2016, 02:26:22 PM
In response to the previous post, the simple part, which has nothing to do with how complex it is or isn't, or how it can be searched, has to do with someone else trying it on their phone to see if the results match. That is "simple", but not possible with a single person or machine. It is not a technical problem, it is more a situational problem.

My second set of questions are merely informational- do these options exist or not? This is simple and quick for someone who has the prior knowledge, and one would expect to find several of those folks on here.

I don't think that is demeaning, and I did not intend it that way.

If all you want is to take someone's time in calling their GV number from the handset connected to the OBi to see if the DTMF works normally, it will depend if someone wants to do that. Evidently, no one was willing to be your "assistant" for testing purposes until drgeoff responded over a month later. But your first question doesn't just ask that...it specifically stated, "1. Is there some reason this action is failing (by design)? DTMF seems to fail calling self, but works on other outside DTMF systems."

This question alone doesn't just ask, "Hey friend, do me a favor and just call and see if you can use your DTMF on the menu tree." It explicitly asks why is YOUR DTMF is failing in that scenario? The question clearly implies more than just a quick test. The problem could be many things...including software/hardware issues to user error--somewhere/somehow. It was a loaded question whether or not you think it is. It was certainly not simple.

Do a search on the forum and follow SteveInWA's numerous advice to others--by factory resetting your OBi to see if bringing everything back to the original default would somehow resolve a potential user configuration error. If that doesn't work...contact Obihai tech support to see if you have a defect (assuming it is still under warranty) to see if you can get a replacement. Otherwise, like Steve said...it should just work.

mo832

@LTN1,

Just to clarify, when I wrote "by design", I was saying "is this supposed to do this?", or "did the GV developers intend this for some reason (security, reliability, etc)?". Similar to the recent topic about GV not using VOIP as the validation number. It continues to fail bc GV chose to not allow it "by design", i.e. intentionally.

I was *not* asking "does my equipment have a defect or is my setup wrong" when I used "by design". I do know the difference between a unique problem and one that applies universally.

LTN1

Assuming that was all you meant. The answer is no...it is not by design. Your system is acting out of the ordinary in that situation. Factory reset and/or contact tech support...unless someone here is willing to troubleshoot it for you.

mo832

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 21, 2016, 02:54:20 PM

You do not need to call your own OBi number.  You simply configure it to use the Google Voice SP as the default for outbound calls, and then pick up the phone and call the number.  The other SP will be used with your CC number for INbound calls.

Well, yes and no. I have it configured exactly as you describe and use it in that way, but sometimes I need to make an outgoing call using the GV number assigned to the secondary (CC) port as the outgoing caller id. The only way I can successfully do this now (which happens daily) is to use the GV web page "call" button. Sometimes I am not in front of the computer when I wish to do this. Hence, my desire to control all of this from the Obi handset alone, even though it would involve a cumbersome set of steps.

Regarding the voice mail options, I actually did do many searches, both before and especially in the 6+ weeks following my original post. What I found seemed to clearly indicate that all callers could do with the GV voice mail was to simply speak and hang up. (Some of these answers were up to 2 years old). Are you saying there should be options available to replay, append, erase, etc. a message you are leaving?

LTN1

Quote from: mo832 on December 21, 2016, 05:03:04 PM
I have it configured exactly as you describe and use it in that way, but sometimes I need to make an outgoing call using the GV number assigned to the secondary (CC) port as the outgoing caller id. The only way I can successfully do this now (which happens daily) is to use the GV web page "call" button. Sometimes I am not in front of the computer when I wish to do this. Hence, my desire to control all of this from the Obi handset alone, even though it would involve a cumbersome set of steps.

Are you now saying that you can't dial **2 to use the GV number assigned to your SP2 port?

mo832

Quote from: LTN1 on December 21, 2016, 05:14:21 PM
Quote from: mo832 on December 21, 2016, 05:03:04 PM
I have it configured exactly as you describe and use it in that way, but sometimes I need to make an outgoing call using the GV number assigned to the secondary (CC) port as the outgoing caller id. The only way I can successfully do this now (which happens daily) is to use the GV web page "call" button. Sometimes I am not in front of the computer when I wish to do this. Hence, my desire to control all of this from the Obi handset alone, even though it would involve a cumbersome set of steps.

Are you now saying that you can't dial **2 to use the GV number assigned to your SP2 port?

No I am not saying that. I can physically dial **2, **9, etc from the dial tone and it does what is expected. However, when I use the Obi handset to call a GV number, and it goes to voice mail, The GV "Kiki" will not respond to any pressed keys at that point. But dialing out from the Obi to a bank, airline, business IVR system, I can press any key or combos and it will register properly. Every time. So DTMF works from the Obi handset, but the GV automated system doesn't like it. Other systems do like it.

The reason I am not able to dial out directly from SP2 using **2 is bc I don't have an active paid outgoing account set up with CC. Only incoming DID for callerID name purposes. And, even if I did have CC credit for outgoing calls, dialing **2 would place my CC phone number on the receivers caller ID display, not my GV number. I could assign SP2 to GV and Google Chat and use **2, but then I would cut out CC altogether and lose CNAM, right?

LTN1

Quote from: mo832 on December 21, 2016, 05:40:44 PM
I could assign SP2 to GV and Google Chat and use **2, but then I would cut out CC altogether and lose CNAM, right?

Steve is one of the resident experts using Callcentric--so he may correct me--but as I understand it, you should be able to configure all SPs with a particular SP (in this case, SP1) as the Primary Line for Outgoing Calls (check Phone 1 and uncheck Phone 2--working on the assumption you have an OBi202). It shouldn't interfere with any functions of the incoming line.

mo832

To clarify, I have an Obi100 with only 2 SP's.

I have 2 GV numbers and use the primary on SP1 (which is also the default for outgoing calls), and the second GV number on SP2. The incoming "forwarding" line for SP1 is Gchat, so fully GV. The incoming SP2 is forwarded from GV to CC for CName and then to the Obi.

So, normally, when I pickup and dial, the outgoing call is placed directly via GV and it uses my primary GV phone number as the caller id. Sometimes, I want to dial out from my second GV number and display that one. How I do it now is to go into my GV web page for line 2 and use the "call" button. It calls me back and places the call, appearing to come from the second GV number. If I were to make the second number directly connected to Gchat, and thereby use the phone handset to dial out (say, using **2), it would work just like my primary number, but then I could not use CC concurrently on SP2, and would lose incoming caller name.

As long as I have SP2 configured for incoming calls via CC, I have only 2 ways to dial out from my 2nd GV number: 1. use the web page 2. call the GV number from an outside line and wait for Kiki to answer GV, then use option 2 to place a call. Kiki responds to almost any standard phone I have tried, but does not seem to like VOIP phone dialers, and does not recognize my Obi handset dialer. I have tried using hangouts dialer from a smart phone, and Kiki hears the * at the beginning, but doesn't get the number key sequence right, possibly because of latency. But at least it hears the *.

The reason I would want to ever do this, is the occasional time when it is not convenient to walk over to the computer to place a call, but I would like to use the second number as the outgoing display. Therefore, I would put up with the hassle of dialing approx. 25 digits once in a while and following all the prompts bc at least I could do it from the remote handset, the few times it would happen.

TL;DR
I want CC for incoming calls and CNAM all the time. I want to use the GV number associated with CC for outgoing calls some of the time.