News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling in to Google Voice, leaving voice mail issues/questions

Started by mo832, October 31, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

If, unlike everyone else, you can't get GV to recognise DTMF tones from your OBi plus handset combination, pay the one-off $5 or whatever to Simonics and use his gateway instead of CC for the second GV number.  You can make outgoing calls on the 2nd GV number through that gateway and get CID and CNAME on incoming GV2 calls through the gateway too.

mo832

Thanks for the suggestions- I am going to play around with it and see if I can tweak the DTMF options. My dad's Obi does not seem to have the issue so I may compare the setups and continue to investigate.

On a separate track- can you confirm whether or not Google voice mail allows the person calling and leaving a message to replay the message or delete, etc.?  It answers "The google subscriber you have called is not available. Please leave a message after the tone". It does not give you any prompts for options after you have left the message...and my keys don't register when I press them.

mo832

Update:

It is working now  ;D

I did look at my dad's setup. He has only one SP in use and his was using "Auto" for the DTMF setting in the Obi expert config. Mine was using "InBand" for both SP's. I had this set on InBand since years ago after reading another thread about tones not being recognized. InBand solved my issues back then on every IVR system I tried, and I just left it alone and forgot about it at that point. Since it had taken me quite a bit of tweaking back then to get everything working, I didn't want to fool with it to get GV to work and then mess up the functionality on outside systems.

I went ahead and changed it back to Auto on mine, and it tested fine with GV. Then I called the DTMF test line and it worked there too. So I am leaving it on Auto for the time being and will continue to monitor.

I can only guess that the most recent firmware update fixed this issue and perhaps messed it up for InBand. I recall reading back then where a previous firmware update had messed up other people's operation where they had no trouble before. AFAI remember this InBand setting used to work for me with GV prior to the latest firmware hiccup that had these boards lighting up a few months ago.

Follow up:

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 21, 2016, 10:49:37 AM
Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Separate issue:

3. When leaving a voice mail on GV, are there any options for replaying the message, delete/re-record, etc? I couldn't find any keys worked there as well.

The options work, but your OBi is mis-configured.

Steve, can you confirm that you intended to talk about an outside caller *leaving* a voice message? I have tested it again, and all it says is leave a message at the tone, then beeps and stops talking. After speaking, I tried dialing *, #, 1, 0, etc. and nothing had any reaction. So it appears you can only speak and hang up. No other options when leaving a voice mail. Does this agree with your information or experience?

Do I need to change something in the Obi? The same thing happens (to me) when calling GV voice mail from any phone, even ones not associated with me or Obi.

drgeoff

Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 01:25:47 PM
Thanks, drgeoff. Well, re: DTMF, I thought I solved that one years ago. I did whatever was suggested on the other thread, and after that any future tests on OUTSIDE dtmf systems (banks, airlines, etc) started to work fine. I really don't think that is the problem, and I would hate to then lose the DTMF for every other phone. Just my feeling, but am open to trying.
Two months of grief because you did not do what you intimated you would.

mo832

Quote from: drgeoff on December 26, 2016, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 01:25:47 PM
Thanks, drgeoff. Well, re: DTMF, I thought I solved that one years ago. I did whatever was suggested on the other thread, and after that any future tests on OUTSIDE dtmf systems (banks, airlines, etc) started to work fine. I really don't think that is the problem, and I would hate to then lose the DTMF for every other phone. Just my feeling, but am open to trying.
Two months of grief because you did not do what you intimated you would.

That last comment was unnecessary, and frankly added no value to the discussion. I wasn't going to respond, but had a change of heart in light of some of the remarks others have made regarding tone, abrasiveness, etc.

1. There was no "grief", unless you felt any on your end. The 2 months proves it was on my back burner. I didn't sweat it one bit. If this caused you any grief, perhaps it is you who is taking it too seriously. I would say *you* are being dramatic.

2. I did exactly what I "intimated". I never gave it a time frame (nor a guarantee, for that matter). I was waiting for other comments to see if there was additional feedback for similar experiences.

3. One of the first comments was from you. I immediately asked a follow-up. If you had been willing to support your initial answer, this could have been over in 2 days instead of 2 months.

4. It is not unreasonable for someone with limited skill (this goes equally for all my counterparts, novice to sophomore, who post on this forum) to be hesitant to make tweaks which could undo many hours of past work and fine-tuning in order for one tiny incremental improvement, especially with no apparent indication that the DTMF situation had changed again.

Your help and suggestions are always much appreciated, but I and many others could do without the extra commentary, which again is unhelpful and unproductive.

LTN1

This fellow mo832 is a jackass living in denial and trying to win an argument. Hopefully other senior forum members will remember his name and avoid any help to this ungrateful SOB in the future.

mo832

Quote from: LTN1 on January 04, 2017, 09:47:16 AM
This fellow mo832 is a jackass living in denial and trying to win an argument. Hopefully other senior forum members will remember his name and avoid any help to this ungrateful SOB in the future.

That's real nice. Sum up my entire history on this board from one comment. I have never been in the practice of personal attacks against individuals here, and I could hardly be described as ungrateful. When the comments become personal,  directed toward me, instead of on the substance, I have a right to counter.  With 190+ comments here, I have been anything but rude or petty, and try to be helpful where I can. Simply asking for clarification on things that are not described well or complicated is not a crime and does not make me any kind of SOB.

So the "senior" members, by virtue of your immense genius, are allowed to use name calling and personal attacks whenever you feel like it. Got it.