News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issue with sending PC faxes phone 1.

Started by 2ooarmz, November 03, 2016, 03:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ooarmz

So, I am using both phone ports; both of them are using the same telephone number.  So when we're talking on a phone (via phone port 1), our same phone number can ring via phone port 2.  Or, if I'm talking on the phone (via phone port 1), some one else can make a call on the extra phone that's connected to port 2.

It's like those business office phones that have those clear buttons for 'line 1', line 2' etc.

Anyway, the problem...
The only way I can send a PC fax, which is via port 1, is to disconnect port 2.  Is there a solution to this?  (So that I don't have to unplug port 2 all the time.)

Our setup:
Port 1
♦ PC fax
Wall jack > modem > router > Obihai > a phone jack splitter > PC's modem port

♦ Uniden phone (the base unit).
Wall jack > modem > router > Obihai > the phone jack splitter > Uniden phone

====================

Port 2  (The phone company added a separate phone jack to the main jack so that we could use the house wiring and the internet simultaneously.)

■ Our Dish Network receiver (it needs to "phone home" every so often)
The house wiring phone jack (wall jack) > Dish receiver

■ An extra phone
The house wiring phone jack (wall jack) > phone

Any help/suggestions?
Thanks!

dircom

How many Voip providers do you have
do you have service also from "ma bell"?
or just DSL service only?
Sounds like you are saying the phone company separated the outside wiring from your inside wiring and installed a jack to service only the DSL modem.  Is that correct?

what happens if you try to fax from port one and another phone is plugged into port two?
you imply you have an Obi 202?  Is that correct?

2ooarmz

Thank you dircom for your reply!

I have one VOIP, one ISP (which is different from my VOIP company) and one phone number. 

As for "Ma Bell", our phone line/poles are Verizon (now Frontier); so I suppose that, technically, we have "Ma Bell" (Frontier).

Yes, Obi202

I don't know exactly how the two phone jacks work with each other, all I know is that the original wall jack is how we get (DSL) internet, and how we get (use) our VOIP (via the Obihai).  And the side jack, next to the wall jack, is how we are able to use our house wiring.

(Verizon came out to add the side box jack once we went to a VOIP. Our ISP said that we would now be dryloop customers and so they had Verizon come out to "fix" our lines -- which resulted in that side box jack.)

Actually, I wasn't quit correct about the set up for port 2.  I should've said this...

Port 2  (The phone company added a separate phone jack to the main jack so that we could use the house wiring and the internet simultaneously.)

■ Our Dish Network receiver (it needs to "phone home" every so often)
Wall jack > modem > router > Obihiai's ph. port 2 >  wall jack side box > Dish receiver

■ An extra phone
Wall jack > modem > router > Obihiai's ph. port 2 >  wall jack side box > phone

Oh, you asked:
Quotewhat happens if you try to fax from port one and another phone is plugged into port two?
I am actually trying to fax from port 1 (via our PC's modem, using a fax software) while the extra phone is using port 2.  Although, the extra phone is not in use during the fax attempts.  See my original post regarding Port 1 setup.

Okay, any help/suggestions will be welcomed - if I haven't thoroughly confused you, that is  ???