News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBiTalk/Google voice in China

Started by George_C, December 06, 2016, 06:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George_C

Hello there, 

I am an expat in Shanghai China.  I was recently introduced OBiTalk/Google.   I now have one OBiTalk setup in US and a 2nd one in Shanghai.  The setup was very easy and audio quality is very good.   The first week or two worked great but now almost every day I need to sign into my OBITalk/google account to reactivate the one i have in Shanghai.  I get the effort message of 'Backing Off Error'.   It works right away after i log into OBiTalk/Google account and reactivate.   My US setup had no problem ever since i set it up 4-5 months ago.  Anybody has any experiences in using a OBiTalk/Google in China?   

Thanks..

George_C

I forgot to mention i have OBi202s in both US and China...

SteveInWA

Google Voice and its sister product, Hangouts, are not supported at all in China.  There is no expectation that it will work, as the Great Firewall of China is continually playing whack-a-mole and killing connections.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

azrobert

Can the 2 OBi202s call each other?
If yes, you can setup the 2nd GV account on the US OBi202 and route calls from China to US and out the 2nd GV account. Same in reverse for inbound calls.

SupTeamGuy

Hi,

There is another option:

Having 1 OBi device in the US and 1 OBi in China.  From China-OBi device, call direct to the OBi-US (dialing **9 + OBi's 9 digit numbers) to get the Auto-Attendance.  Both OBi devices must be added under the same login email profile at www.obitalk.com portal for this setup.

Auto-Attendance will prompt for "Continue this call..." or "Make a new call".

This setup will not use Google Voice Service.

Best Regards,
SupTeamGuy

azrobert

Quote from: SupTeamGuy on December 06, 2016, 03:39:10 PM
Hi,

There is another option:

Having 1 OBi device in the US and 1 OBi in China.  From China-OBi device, call direct to the OBi-US (dialing **9 + OBi's 9 digit numbers) to get the Auto-Attendance.  Both OBi devices must be added under the same login email profile at www.obitalk.com portal for this setup.

Auto-Attendance will prompt for "Continue this call..." or "Make a new call".

This setup will not use Google Voice Service.

Best Regards,
SupTeamGuy

This is basically what I was suggesting, but without the Auto Attendant. You can easily route calls over the OBiTalk network without the Auto Attendant with just a few configuration changes. I should have been more specific with my above post.

George_C

Thanks much for all your suggestions.   I will give it a try.    Thank again...

hapollo

If you have a Android smartphone, you can try to download the Obion App and call into your Obi202 either using a 1 step Speedial or **9 as suggested using the Obion as a softphone.