News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obiwifi adapter with obi 200 having setup problems

Started by magicwine, December 09, 2016, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicwine

I have tried several times to call support at 408.634.5904, but pressing 2 for support, or even 9 to leave a message, is not recognized. It keeps repeating the options, then disconnects. I tried two other phones, same issues. Anyone know another way of speaking with an obi tech?

I recently purchased a 200. It works fine with one phone connected to it.

Because I need to use all the jacks in my house for this number, and I can't run a long ethernet cable, support advised Obiwifi adapter would accomplish this by plugging the 200 into any jack, with the wifi adapter plugged into the 200, then all the jacks would access the obi/google voip service.

First, I couldn't even see the obi network. It appears you actually have to have a wired ethernet connection to set it up/ OK, so I did that, entered admin, admin, and resulting screen on my phone said I successfully set it up and to dial a number for echo correction. That I didn't do, as I already did so when using the 200 on a wired connection.

So then I disconnected the wired ethernet connection and moved the 200 to where I will need to place it. Powered it on, connected the phone cord to a phone jack - with the wifi adapter still plugged into the back.

But it never displays a connection to the internet, and the obi wifi connection no longer appears on the phone. I closed and reopened the browser to return to 192.168.10.1, but the page won't load.

What do I do next? I am very close to my wifi router, about 14 feet, with a wall between two rooms that has a wide open arch and get strong wifi signals on all my other devices.

Thank you for your help.

Bob

SteveInWA

Take your OBi closer to your router temporarily.  Connect it with an Ethernet cable.  Log into the OBiTALK web portal.  Click on your device.  Get into Expert mode configuration.  Note:  in the following instructions, you must first un-check BOTH boxes on the right side of the page, next to the setting you wish to change.

Go to the OBiWiFi Settings page.  In the "Basic Settings" section, make sure that it is enabled, and set the preferred access point to Access Point 1.

Scroll down to the Access Point 1 section.  Manually add your WiFi SSID and password.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the web page.  Click the Submit button.  Wait a few minutes for your device to be remotely configured and rebooted.

Pull out the OBi's power plug and the Ethernet cable, in that order.  Plug in just the power plug and let it boot up. Does it now connect to the WiFi network?

drgeoff

@magicvine
Some additional info which may help your understanding.

1.  The **9 222 222 222 number is a test number on an Obihai server.  It is known as "echo test" but has nothing to do with echo correction.  It simply auto answers and after the announcement, returns whatever audio it receives from you.  As such it tests if your OBi has a working connection to the internet and if audio is working in both directions.  If you change how the OBi connects to your home network (and hence the internet) it is useful to dial that test number again to confirm you again have a working connection to the internet. (That test number should work irrespective of the OBi being registered on the OBitalk portal or of any other Service Providers being correctly configured.  So it can be tested early in the whole process of fully configuring an OBi.  Until it works there is no point in trying to proceed with registration or Service Provider setup.)

2.  The 192.168.10.1 number is the IP address of the OBiWIFI when it is operating in Setup Mode as an Access Point.  That allows you to connect directly to it from a WiFi equipped laptop, tablet or phone to give your OBi the SSID and security credentials of your router's Wi-Fi.  Then the OBiWIFI changes from being an Access Point to being a Station (aka client) connected to your router.  The OBiWIFI's IP address is no longer 192.168.10.1 but will be either the DHCP address allocated by your router or the static IP address you chose to configure on the OBi depending on whether you elected to have a dynamic or static address.  Once the OBiWIFI is in its normal operating mode it will never respond to 192.168.10.1.

3.  If you use the alternative method given by SteveInWA, my above paragraph is not applicable.  The OBiWIFI is in Station mode all the time.  The wired ethernet connection is just a temporary way of being able to enter your router's Wi-Fi details into the OBi.

magicwine

Hi Steve and DrGeoff,

Thank you so much for your helpful replies. You are correct, when I logged into my router, I see the obihai device.

Steve - per what Dr Geoff stated - Am I still supposed to do this?: Go to the OBiWiFi Settings page.  In the "Basic Settings" section, make sure that it is enabled, and set the preferred access point to Access Point 1.

I don't know the address of the settings page. If it's the 192.168.10.1, then that's already been done, but I was never asked there for my router password. Could that be the issue?

Unless I misunderstand, I don't think either reply actually addressed my issue - when I initially set this up, and had the wifi adapter in the obi200, I inserted the ethernet cable and only then was I able to do the setup from my phone. At that time the adapter was blinking blue.

But once I disconnect the ethernet cable, and move the 200 to where I need it, plug it into the phone jack, the adapter doesn't flash blue. If I remove it and replace it, it flashes blue once and stops.

The power and phone lights continue to flash green, the internet light never comes on, and when I open my router page, it now shows the 200 as inactive.

So my issue, as before, is when I move it (it's only about 14 feet from my router) and an open wall in between, I can't get the signal to become active. I'm repeating again cause I keep thinking this may have something to do with this, that during setup I never was asked or saw where to enter the router password. But even without this, the 200 allows me to make calls when the ethernet cable is inserted.

Help please!

Thank you.

Bob

SteveInWA

Two people have given you the answer.  Why don't you just follow our instructions exactly as posted, and not try to figure out alternative answers?

Set up the device first, over Ethernet.  Forget about the temporary, peer-to-peer IP address as DrGeoff mentioned.  Just get it working as an Ethernet-connected OBi.  Confirm that it works that way.  While it is working as an Ethernet-connected device, you can manually type in the WiFi SSID and password and set that access point to be preferred (so it won't waste any time looking at other access points nearby).

Leaving the device near the router, unplug both the power and Ethernet cables.  Plug back in only the power cable and let it reboot.  It should connect to your router via WiFi.  If it works, then you can move it to the other room and see if you have a WiFi coverage issue or not.  The blinking blue LED on the WiFi dongle is not a very useful indicator.  When working properly, it will flicker, to indicate network activity.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

I did follow your directions - or at least I tried.

The 200 does work on ethernet. This is where I'm lost: "While it is working as an Ethernet-connected device, you can manually type in the WiFi SSID and password and set that access point to be preferred "

Where do I type in the SSID and password? If it's an ip address or url I type in a browser, may I have that?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

SteveInWA

Quote from: magicwine on December 11, 2016, 06:14:08 PM
Hi Steve,

I did follow your directions - or at least I tried.

The 200 does work on ethernet. This is where I'm lost: "While it is working as an Ethernet-connected device, you can manually type in the WiFi SSID and password and set that access point to be preferred "

Where do I type in the SSID and password? If it's an ip address or url I type in a browser, may I have that?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

OBi devices can be accessed for configuration via the OBiTALK portal, or via the device's local IP address.  The OBiTALK portal takes precedence over any changes typed into the device's local web page, unless you disable it from doing so.  

Log onto your OBiTALK portal page, and go here:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

Add your OBi if you have not already done so.  Now, click your OBi on that page, scroll down to the bottom and click "OBi Expert Configuration".  Click OK to the "are you sure" warning and click the "Enter OBi Expert" button.

Click "OBiWiFi Configuration" to get to the necessary settings page.  Un-check BOTH check boxes to the right of the settings.   Make the settings.  Click the Submit button.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

Well I got further than before :-). I don't know why obi didn't have this info in their setup!

So I'm on the expert page. You said to uncheck both settings, but there are many setting on that page, so I presumed you meant the SSD and password. I unchecked, entered the SSID and password, saved it, removed the ethernet cable and power, then plugged in only the power, but after waiting 20 minutes it has not connected. In fact my router screen still shows ethernet, but inactive.

I noticed now that there are 2 red ! points next to the SSID and password. Was I supposed to recheck any of the boxes to the right after I entered the SSID and password?

Note, I entered this in the access point #1 section.

What are my next steps?

Thank you very much for your help.

Bob

SteveInWA

See my screenshot.

The red exclamation marks simply mean that the settings have been changed from the default.  They don't mean "danger" or "bad".

You only remove the check marks from the fields that you want to edit.

I don't know what else you are doing wrong, but it should simply work.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

I didn't know I was supposed to check access point 1. Did that, and saved, but still won't connect over wifi.

So as originally requested, I disconnected power and the ethernet cable, then reconnected power only. Still no wifi connection. Only the green power led flashing, the other 2 led's not lit.

I've attached a screenshot of my settings page.

Thank you.

Bob

SteveInWA

Is that long string of letters starting with RXQV6 truly your WiFi SSID?  I kind of doubt it.

Log into your router.  Go to its WiFi section.  Look at the SSID.  Copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C).  In another browser tab, go back to the OBiTALK WiFi configuration page.  Erase the characters from the SSID field.  Paste in the SSID (Ctrl-V).  Carefully re-type the password.  Sometimes, routers care about upper vs. lower-case, so type in the value exactly as it is shown in your router.

If you can't get it to work that way, then follow exactly the steps in this video:  https://youtu.be/EfeoOCi2Rds

Note that, if you have made any security settings on your router that only allow connections from specific devices (MAC addresses) then you would need to add the OBiWiFi adapter's MAC address to the allowed list.

Also:  after saving the settings on your OBi, unplug both the Ethernet and power cables.  Power off the router.  Power on the router.  Wait for the router to reboot.  Power on the OBi and wait for it to connect via WiFi.

If you can't get this to work, then you've got some sort of router issue that is out of scope for this forum.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

Finally, it's working on wifi!

The reason I purchased the 200 is I need to use all the jacks in my house for this number, and I can't run a long ethernet cable, support advised Obiwifi adapter would accomplish this by plugging the 200 into any jack, with the wifi adapter plugged into the 200, then all the jacks would access the obi/google voip service.

I couldn't believe this, it sounded so wonderful, so I repeated it to the sales rep and he advised if all my jacks terminate at a junction point in my basement, I only needed to purchase the wifi adapter and plug the 200 into any house jack, and it would enable all my home's jack with GV service.

However, I have tried plugging it into two jacks, and tried to get a dial tone on two phones still connected to the original jacks when I had Verizon landline service until last week, and no dial tone. I even switched the phone cable to a new one that I know works, still no dial tone.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but 25 yrs ago I had 2 lines in my home. When I discontinued the 2nd line, all my one line phones still worked utilizing the same jacks.

Am I supposed to enable something for the 200 to make all my jacks live?

Thank you for your wonderful help.

Bob

SteveInWA

Great.

Now, one step at a time.  You do realize that you need some sort of Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP), right?  Right?  You can't just plug in a magic box and expect it to work, by ... magic?

You need to set up either Google Voice, or a SIP ITSP and get that service working on the OBi, with ONE telephone plugged directly into the OBi's phone jack.

Then, and only then, you need to go out to wherever your old Verizon telephone service was connected to your house or apartment or whatever, and disconnect the two wires from Verizon leading into your house.  If you fail to do this, you may fry the OBi.

Then, you need to understand which of the wire colors on your house wiring are connected to the various pins on the various jacks.  Presumably, if your place was built in the past 40 years, you have jacks in the wall with four wires.  Blue, and white with blue stripes go to Line 1, which are the center two gold pins in the jacks.  Orange, and white with orange stripes goes to line 2, which are the outer two gold pins in the jacks.  If you plug the OBi's phone cord into a jack wired like that, then all the other jacks should work on those line 1 center two pins.

If it doesn't work, then it will be up to you to trace the problem, or hire an electrician.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

I had thought I'd have to do some basement connections as my friend did with his Ooma, but Obi sales is the one that told me if I do as I did- plugging the 200 into any jack in my home all the jacks would be connected to my Google Talk service. (I have GV almost since inception).

And it did sound like magic lol but he insisted it would work.

Well, I didn't disconnect my Verizon connection, but I'll do that tomorrow, as you suggested. Obi didn't tell me to do that.

I understand the color coding as you explained - even though my house was built in 1929, the jacks in my home were installed in the 1980's.

As I understood it, when my 2nd line was discontinued in 1988, any one line phone would still work because it just ignored (or didn't connect to) the 2nd line service. And they all did.

So I'm not clear as to why you mentioned the color coding for lines 1 & 2 - or was that just an FYI - and that if I'm wired that way, then just plugging the 200 into any jack wired as you mentioned will enable all jacks wired like that to have my active Google Voice service?

Could the fact that I didn't know to disconnect the Verizon service - caused this issue with the jacks not becoming live with the 200 plugged into one?

And note all the jacks worked up until last week  - so if I see tomorrow they are wired as you stated, and I believe they are; what I am trying to accomplish should work?

Thanks Steve!

Bob

SteveInWA

I don't know why you keep repeating to me what a salesman said.  I don't care.  It's irrelevant.  I am just trying to give you the necessary information so that you can figure things out for yourself.   A certain level of independent thinking is needed on your part to understand how things work, and to connect it up.  I have no idea how your home was wired, and I can't tell you sitting here at my computer exactly what to do.

I gave you the wiring diagram as a tool for your mental toolbox, so you can go trace the problem, if there is one, after you disconnect the Verizon wires coming into the premises.

You didn't reply and confirm that your OBi now has working telephone service on it.  If it does, and plugging it into your house wiring doesn't work, then call an electrician, or someone who understands wiring.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

First, I wanted to thank you again for all your help. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have been able to get my Google Voice service working with my obi 200.

I checked the wire colors to my jack and it's different than your two supplied pics:

One jack that I was using until last week with my landline only had one wire going to each screw, as follows:

Position 1: Yellow
Position 2: Black
Position 3: Red
Position 4: Green

If I use this jack to enable all jacks in my house, even though different from what you sent me, should this one jack work by plugged in my 200 to enable all my other jacks wired the same way?

If not, can I simply disconnect or move them to new screws as you suggest?

Another jack that I was not using in a long long time and the one I tried using to enable all my jacks to become active with the obi wifi adapter has all four wires going to one screw.

Thank you for your help.

Bob

SteveInWA

I am going to again suggest that you hire an electrician or find somebody who understands telephone wiring.  I can't tell you how to fix this from here, via forum posts. 

Another solution would be to abandon the house wiring, which sounds like it is FUBAR, and instead use a modern, multi-handset DECT cordless phone system.  Panasonic makes the best of those.

magicwine

Hi Steve,

If I go the DECT route, is there an adapter I can use in my basement to which to plug my alarm dialer into?

Regarding my jacks as they are now, are you stating that wiring will not work to enable all jacks, or that you just don't know?

If you don't know, I'll go into  my basement, disconnect the verizon landline connection since it isn't live since Dec 4, so I don't fry anything as you suggested, and see if it works.

Lastly, I mentioned in my original post that I can't call obihai because entering their prompts for specific departments isn't recognized, it keeps repeating the options. Even tried with my cell, same problem. Do you know any way to speak to them other than through prompts? Email has not been responsive.

Thank you.

Bob

SteveInWA

I am saying that feeding an OBi into properly-wired house wiring works just fine.  Your wiring is apparently all f**ked-up.  I would have to be standing next to you to see why it is mis-wired.  Including a burglar alarm in the wiring makes it even more complicated, since alarm panels are designed to "seize" the telephone line and disconnect that line from all the other phones in the house.  They do this via a special telephone jack, called a RJ-12X exclusion jack, which loops the circuit through the alarm panel.

If you enabled the option on your OBi's configuration of Google Voice, to "Use This Service for a Security Alarm Line" then it won't properly send DTMF (touch tones) on regular (non-alarm) calls.  The better option is to use a dedicated telephone line for the alarm, or modernize to using a cellular communicator.

I can't offer any further assistance with your wiring issues.

SteveInWA

My final post on your wiring issue:

Any competent security alarm installation technician will have the necessary skills and experience to fix your wiring problems.  They can ensure that the alarm is disconnected from your other phone wiring, and they can get the phone wiring working with your OBi for regular phone calls.  Do not try to use the same Google Voice account for the alarm panel, AND for regular phone calls.  Do not leave your old POTS carrier (Verizon) wiring connected to the house wiring, as it could fry your equipment.

It is nearly 2017.  The modern solution for alarm monitoring is either a cellular data communicator or a direct IP connection, not using a POTS or VoIP telephone line.