News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Just found out about ObiTalk and need some info please!

Started by Marwan, December 15, 2016, 01:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marwan

Hello, I am currently using my ISP for phone service and want to switch to google voip for free using obitalk and I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I keep my phone number?

2) Can I call anywhere in Canada? (because I live in Canada)

3) I just need to connect an ethernet cable from my router to the obitalk box and then connect the phone cable to the obitalk box for it to work?

4) Is there any difference in speed?

5) There are really no subscription fees?

6) What are the basic features when wanting to use it for free?

7) Is the call quality good?

Thanks for taking your time to read/answer this. If I have more questions I will post them.

SteveInWA

Google Voice is not a free telephone company, and it is a USA-only service.  You cannot get a Canadian number from Google Voice, nor can you port a Canadian number into Google Voice.

You may want to instead consider using voip.ms, which is a Canada-based Internet Telephone Service Provider.

Marwan

I guess so. I saw that it was saying free calls for Canada so I thought it'd be good to get free phone.

SteveInWA

People outside the USA can make outbound calls using Google Hangouts.  They are not eligible for a US inbound Google Voice number.  Google Voice is primarily a call-forwarding service.  It's not a free telephone company.

dima

Quote from: Marwan on December 15, 2016, 05:06:33 PM
I guess so. I saw that it was saying free calls for Canada so I thought it'd be good to get free phone.
You can subscribe to FreePhoneLine.ca and get Canadian number and use service for free (After purchasing unlock key and porting your number). Initial expense is quite high but it worth in long run. This is what I'm doing now.
Other alternative is to pay $5/mo to fongo.ca, which is the same SP and spend a lot less initially.