News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I use Dialpad and Google Voice on a OBi1032?

Started by roomservicetaco, December 15, 2016, 07:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roomservicetaco

I'm brand new to OBi and to VOIP to a certain extent.

I have recently signed up for Dialpad VOIP service and successfully run their Android and Desktop (softphone) apps for outbound and inbound calls.

I bought an OBi1032 at their recommendation so that I could have a desktop phone as well. Dialpad has an automated configuration which I used and to set up the OBi for ib and ob calls via the Dialpad service.  That seems to be working fine.

My question is:  I also have 2 Google Voice accounts.  Since the OBi is a 4 line phone, am I able to configure Dialpad for line 1, GV1 for line 2, and GV2 for line 3?   If so, how?

Thanks.

roomservicetaco

OK, I found this FAQ on OBiTalk:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/About-the-OBi/How-many-VoIP-SP

So I know what I'm asking can be done (1 Dialpad account plus 2 GV accounts), but still not sure how to configure the GV accounts so that they go to Line 2 and Line 3 without interfering with Line 1.

SteveInWA

It depends on whether Dialpad has taken over control of the configuration of your OBi phone (locked you out of it), or if "automated configuration" you used simply filled in their credentials and other settings for one of the six (not four) Service Provider slots (SP1 through SP6).

If you added the 1032 to your own OBiTALK web portal account:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

then, click on the 1032 on that page, and then click on the desired SPx, and it will walk you through configuring your Google Voice number for that line.

Here are my (lengthy but comprehensive) instructions on using GV with an OBi product.  The instructions were written for an OBi ATA, not IP phone, but the process is essentially the same:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

If, on the other hand, Dialpad has taken over your IP phone and locked you out, you'd need to ask them for assistance.

Please post a "review" of your experiences with Dialpad after you've used it for a while.  It would be helpful for others considering using the service.  By the way, Dialpad was founded by the same folks who built Grand Central, which was later sold to Google, and became Google Voice.  I expect that Dialpad will offer superior support and features for business-oriented users.

roomservicetaco

Thanks Steve.  I went with Dialpad for some of the reasons you mentioned, but also because I was a satisfied user of Uberconference, which I believe is a sister company/same founder of Dialpad.

I tried to add the 1032 to ObiTalk and get this message:

"The device has joined the network before, under another user's account.

If you want to add this device, please do a factory reset and

Click Try Again or click Cancel to return to the device list."

Does that mean that Dialpad has locked the phone?

SteveInWA

That error means that either you, using some other user name, or Dialpad, already have an account set up with that OBi device assigned to the account.

So, if you're sure you didn't do it, then they did.  You'll need to contact them, and find out if they allow you to configure other SPs on the phone, or if they will just release the phone from their configurator and turn control of it over to you (they would have to give you the SIP credentials).  I suspect that they won't want to do that, as it creates a support headache for them.  I also suspect their response would be "why do you want to do that; just port your other service provider's numbers to us and let us manage the whole thing for you".

roomservicetaco

Thanks.  I'll work on it.  Appreciate the responses.