News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't get my Obi 1062 phone online

Started by HGPilot, December 14, 2016, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HGPilot

Hi,

Just got the phone today and trying to set it up. I've tried via the office wi-fi and now using my cell phone's mobile hotspot and it doesn't seem to go online. I know it was online at some point because the device shows up in my account, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I read about changing my router DMZ settings, but not sure why that would apply on a cell phone hotspot. I also upgraded the firmware using the web portal, so it's connecting to my router just not the internet.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

SteveInWA

Hi:

Setting up an OBi ATA or IP phone with WiFi can be flaky.  In my experience, the more reliable way to do this is to first connect the phone to your network via an Ethernet cable, then manually typing in the WiFi access point credentials.

Can you connect the phone via Ethernet in your desired office location?

HGPilot

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. I can't connect via ethernet as I don't have it in my office yet - still waiting for IT who I just can't get hold of to fix it. However, I can take the phone home and connect via ethernet on my home network. Would you suggest I do that, get it configured with my GV number and then take it back to the office and connect on the Wifi?

Mike

SteveInWA

Yes, that would be a good option, to at least get the phone configured and confirm that it works with your Google Voice or other VoIP account(s).

After the phone is set up and working via the OBiTALK web portal, at home, then do this, while still connected via Ethernet:

• Assuming you are on the OBiTALK web portal page, click on your OBi phone, then scroll down and click the button to get into "OBi Expert Configuration".  Get past the redundant warnings and notices, click the button again to "Enter OBi Expert"  ::) and then go to the OBi WiFi settings section.
  • Note:  to edit settings in expert mode, you need to first clear the check marks out of BOTH boxes to the right of the parameter being modified.
  • In the "Basic Settings" section, check-mark to enable WiFi, and select Access Point 1 as the PreferredAccessPoint.
  • In the Access Point 1 section, enter the office's WiFi credentials (SSID and password).
  • Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click "Submit".  Wait a few minutes and watch while the phone reboots.

You should be able to take the phone back to the office and it should just work.  If it fails to connect, unplug it, plug it back in again, and wait a while.  Check with your IT person to confirm that they don't need to do anything to add your phone's MAC address to have permission to use the network, or any other security concerns.

HGPilot

Thanks! I'll try this tonight and report back.

HGPilot

It works! I was unable to get past this step

"In the "Basic Settings" section, check-mark to enable WiFi, and select Access Point 1 as the PreferredAccessPoint."

As it was grayed out, but it now works on the office wifi. Thanks for your help.

SteveInWA

Glad to hear you got it working.

The setting was greyed-out, because you didn't remove BOTH check marks to the right of the setting, to enable editing.