News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Where can I find a decent Windows desktop SIP client?

Started by TTCP, December 16, 2016, 08:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTCP

Hi,  I have OBI units. But for some reasons, I need to find a very decent and reliable vendor-neutral Windows Desktop SIP client ( Not GV or Skype or vendor-locked-in application ). But it seems the whole world of programmers now exclusively focus on mobile development of the SIP/VOIP mobile app, or any app for that matter. The Desktop client has been completely ignored.

The few options available now for desktop SIP client, whether open source or commercial, leave really a lot to be desired ( probably due to programmers' laziness, or ignorant assumption of user preferences, etc. ). For example:

* In the Linphone Windows 7 desktop app, the volume is really low, and not configurable. Not sure why;

* In the MicroSIP Windows 7 desktop app, I cannot change the default port of 5060 to another port;

* No clear mentioning of whether the app will support the Call Waiting feature, or to fully simulate the "Flash" button on a handset.

* I want a choice to choose the white color scheme, instead of the crazy all-black-color scheme. Black color is hard to read, and cause big eye strain.    Don't know why programmers are so obsessed with the black color scheme.

* Carrier-grade reliability. I need to use it for my work ( when working from home ) - Conference call, Conduct phone interview, Annual performance review meeting, etc. So any kind of app crash is not acceptable.

I am a software developer myself in the past. If I really cannot find a decent desktop SIP client, I may decide to get/buy a SIP SDK, and write my own SIP client. But it can be a major endeavor, and very time-consuming.

Taoman

For a free SIP client I would look at Phonerlite. Excellent product and the price is right.

For a commercial level product I would look at Express Talk.*

*You can download a free version of Express Talk for non-commercial use which will be minus some features.

SteveInWA

The best multi-platform SIP client I've used is Bria from Counterpath.  Yes, it costs money, but you get what you pay for:  a mature product, with lots of features and customization, regular updates and full customer support.

But, this begs the question, why do you want to do this?  If you are using this for a work-at-home scenario, an OBi ATA or IP phone would be ideal, vs. using a software phone.

TTCP

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2016, 11:08:20 AM
The best multi-platform SIP client I've used is Bria from Counterpath.  Yes, it costs money, but you get what you pay for:  a mature product, with lots of features and customization, regular updates and full customer support.

But, this begs the question, why do you want to do this?  If you are using this for a work-at-home scenario, an OBi ATA or IP phone would be ideal, vs. using a software phone.

Thanks Steve for the quick reply.

The reasons I need soft-phone are:

* Huge desk space saving - With soft-phone, all these clutter: OBI / Phone / Power adapter / Power cord / RJ11 / RJ9 cords are gone. Only a single headset ( connected to my work laptop ) is required.

* I can copy/paste phone numbers from Microsoft Outlook or other applications, enabling quicker dailing.

SteveInWA

Well then, get out your credit card:  http://www.counterpath.com/bria/

As for "carrier-grade reliability", that'll depend on the quality of the SIP service provider you choose -- the software client is rock-solid.

And, BTW, it integrates directly with MS Outlook, and uses it as its address book, so no copy-and-paste needed.

TTCP

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2016, 11:49:14 AM
Well then, get out your credit card:  http://www.counterpath.com/bria/

As for "carrier-grade reliability", that'll depend on the quality of the SIP service provider you choose -- the software client is rock-solid.

And, BTW, it integrates directly with MS Outlook, and uses it as its address book, so no copy-and-paste needed.

Bria 4 softphone has a fatal bug ( maybe a deliberate one ). I cannot disable the annoying auto answer (mis)feature. It always relentlessly tries to auto answer incoming calls, no matter what I do, probably due to ignorant assumption about user preference made by programmers.

I did not find this problem until I purchased and installed the software. I now want to uninstall it and ask for a full refund from CounterPath.

I now will not trust any commercial SIP softphone software. I do not get what I pay for. I will try to get an SIP VOIP SDK, and write my own SIP client software, 100% customerized to my own liking.

ARAR

I use 3CX for Windows day to day for simple call use without a problem.