News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HELP: No one can hear me, neither inbound nor outbound!

Started by 2ooarmz, December 17, 2016, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ooarmz

So, as the Subject says, No one can hear me, neither inbound nor outbound!  >:(

This just started today; no changes have been made - went to bed last night with a working phone; got up this morn without a completely working phone!

We have an OBi202; PhonePower VOIP; Belkin N300; DSLeXtreme.com ISP.

What's wrong (what's going on here)...
So, it doesn't matter if calls are incoming or outgoing, I cannot hear anything!  (But, I can be heard.)

(I call Mom; I can't hear her; she can hear me.)
Or
(Mom calls me; I can't hear her, she can hear me.)

What could be wrong?  I'm hoping it's just an easy "click this" or "unclick that."
As I said, it worked yesterday, but not today.  ???

I have rebooted the Obi several times today; oh ya, once, after a reboot, I could hear both incoming/outgoing---but it must've been a fluke because that hasn't happened since.

HELP!

Mango

Try the following in order, testing between each:

1) If you haven't already, try powering off your router and your OBi, then power your router on, then when it is connected to the internet, power your OBi on.

2) Be sure that your Belkin N300 router receives a public IP address from your ISP.  Its WAN IP address should not start with 10. or 192.168.  If it does, place your modem in bridge mode.

3) Be sure that Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> SIP >> X_DiscoverPublicAddress is checked.

4) Try to use your router to forward UDP (not TCP) ports 16600-16798 (inclusive) to your OBi202's IP address.  I'm assuming PhonePower is using ITSP Profile A and the RTP LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax settings are default.  If this doesn't solve the problem, remove the port forward.

4) If you still have problems, contact PhonePower.

drgeoff

First test should be to dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222.  After the announcement you should get whatever you say sent back to you with a short delay.

2ooarmz

Of course, now that I've gotten some replies to this post, my phone is working fine!  In fact, I just talked to Mom and we both heard each other just fine. 

Anyway...
@drgeoff
I dialed that number and, since my phone is now working, I heard myself as expected.  Thanks!

@Mango
I had already been doing #1.

And, I read elsewhere about #3 and so checked it and it's fine. 

As to #2, I can't find a "public" IP address listed anywhere in my Belkin.  I checked the Wan Settings, but there's no IP showing.   The only IP I see is the LAN IP address; that one does start with 192.168.
(Under WAN Settings, the Connection Type is PPPoE)

As to #4, I've tried many times to port forward but it never seems to work.  After I enter the settings, I use an online service to check on the ports, and it always says that port ___ is closed. 
I've used several different online services for this and they all come back saying the same thing.  So it appears that port forwarding, in my case, is just a myth.  :-\
Here's one, for example: <www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports>

In any case, for now, since it ain't broke, I won't try and fix it.  ;D

Thanks to you both for your replies!  :)

Mango

Quote from: 2ooarmz on December 17, 2016, 05:21:49 PM(Under WAN Settings, the Connection Type is PPPoE)

That should be fine.

Quote from: 2ooarmz on December 17, 2016, 05:21:49 PMAfter I enter the settings, I use an online service to check on the ports, and it always says that port ___ is closed.

That is expected - the online port scanner tools typically test TCP ports.  VoIP uses UDP.

My theory for this one was that your router or modem had done an automatic firmware upgrade that was interfering with SIP/RTP packets.  But since it is now working, that guess was probably wrong.

Quote from: 2ooarmz on December 17, 2016, 05:21:49 PMIn any case, for now, since it ain't broke, I won't try and fix it.  ;D

I'm glad to hear it's working again.  Perhaps the problem was on PhonePower's or their carrier's side and some other customer complained.