News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HELP, OBI200 won't hangup after first use with Panasonic cordless phone

Started by jarster, December 21, 2016, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarster

I have house phone (xfinity) coming in on line1 on a brand new cordless Panasonic (KX-TG9582B) two line phone, and an OBI200 coming in on line2 on the Panasonic.  Two independent RJ11 jacks on back of the cordless phone, line1 = home phone, line2 = OBI200.  

After first call is hungup (line2), OBI does not go onhook (does not end call). So the next time I want to use line2, I get either dead air or fast busy, no dial tone...  after reboot of OBI device, I get a dial tone...

Does anyone have a clue ? I've swapped the inputs on the back of the phone and the condition is reversed.
All OBI200 parameters are default...

jarster

Update:

Purchased an OBI202 (as per support's request) and the same thing happens...

Apparently on the phone status page, I can watch the status go from on-hook to off-hook every few seconds.  Its almost like the phone isn't holding the on-hook state.

Does this make sense to anyone ?

Yet when I reverse the ports on the back of the phone, ALL IS WELL, the OBI reports the phone on-hook when it should be... (OBI in PORT1 on back of phone)...

HELP...  this is very confusing...

SteveInWA

You have a phone wiring problem:  the line one and line two circuits are being shorted together.

Look at the Panasonic phone's user manual, and at the base station of that phone.  There may be a switch near the two jacks that controls the function of the line one jack:  either use that jack as a RJ-14, two-line jack for L1+L2, or only use the L1 (center two pins) connection on that jack.  The switch or setting may be labeled "L1+L2 / L1".

You can prove this by unplugging the Xfinity phone cord and testing with just the OBi cord, in either jack.

VanSo

Just in follow-up to SteveinWA's comments, I agree that it is a crossed wire. On many of the Panasonic 2 line phones they do not have a switch, but instead provide 2 different phone cords for use with the phones. One is usually clear and one has a green plug to mark the difference. One of the cords has only 2 wires and one has 4 wires. If you take a look at your owner's manual it will tell you which one is which. On some of their phones the part numbers are as follows:

4-wire telephone line cord with green plugs/PQJA10088Z
2-wire telephone line cord with transparent plugs/PQJA10075Z

If you are connecting such a phone to a 2 line telephone jack (an RJ14C) with a single cord, then you would plug the 4-wire cord into the Line 1/2 port.

If you are connecting the phone into 2 single-line telephone jacks (2 RJ11C) with two separate cords, then you would plug the 4-wire cord into the Line 2 port and the 2 wire-cord into the Line 1/2 port.

Check your phone manual to figure out which cord is which in your package. They do make a difference.