News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New firmware version for OBi20x series

Started by Taoman, December 22, 2016, 08:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

New version of firmware for the OBi200 & OBi202:

Software Version 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX)

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5463EX.fw

Edit: Updated version level. Thanks, SteveInWa.

nsne

The release of new firmware is reassuring, at least, although I guess it's too much to hope for release notes?

SteveInWA

For once, the process worked as intended:  my two OBi 200 units had a yellow triangle icon next to them, on the OBiTALK dashboard, notifying me of the new firmware.  I clicked it, and the devices were remotely updated to 5462EX, "no muss, no fuss".

ProfTech

Probably a question that cannot be answered but could the EX possibly mean that this is some sort of experimental firmware? Not sure I want to dump it in.

SteveInWA

Who knows what it means, but the fact that Obihai is pushing it to their devices implies to me that it is production software, not a beta.

SteveInWA

Annnnd, within a short period of time, both devices displayed the yellow triangle again, and after clenching my teeth and my anus, I clicked it again.  Now it upgraded to:  3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX)

So, skip the 5462EX.  Better yet, just have a very happy holiday, and don't try to be on the bleeding edge until next month.

Taoman

Quote from: ProfTech on December 22, 2016, 03:40:42 PM
Probably a question that cannot be answered but could the EX possibly mean that this is some sort of experimental firmware? Not sure I want to dump it in.

My guess is that it has something to do with OBiEXTRAs.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 22, 2016, 03:54:16 PM
...and after clenching my teeth and my anus, I clicked it again. 

Too much details!

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on December 22, 2016, 04:23:01 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 22, 2016, 03:54:16 PM
...and after clenching my teeth and my anus, I clicked it again. 

Too much details!

Heh heh....  Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah!

LTN1

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also!

(Unless you are Jewish...then Happy Hanukkah!) (And if you are the 14 people in America that celebrate Kwanzaa...Happy Kwanzaa!)

Mango

Quote from: ProfTech on December 22, 2016, 03:40:42 PM
Probably a question that cannot be answered but could the EX possibly mean that this is some sort of experimental firmware?

It means Obihai got annoyed by people running scripts on their firmware server to brute force version numbers.

chilirock

Forgive me if this has been answered previously in a different thread, but if my OBi200 is currently at version 3.1.0 (Build: 5264), why does the IVR say "no software update available"?

Is that because my device is past the Hardware Warranty and Technical Support End Date? If so, is the only way to update by manually downloading the FW file?

Mango

In mid-2015, Obihai introduced a support fee of $10/year for automatic firmware updates.  Around that time, they stopped publishing release notes/changelogs, announcing firmware version numbers, and updating the -latest.fw files so that people would find it more convenient to just pay the fee instead of searching for reports on forums about how to fix the latest problem.  Now, they have apparently started making the version numbers quasi-random, making it even more difficult to find the latest firmware version.

Their premium support offering must be profitable enough that it outweighs the bad PR that the disgruntled customers cause.

Quote from: chilirock on December 22, 2016, 08:49:02 PMIs that because my device is past the Hardware Warranty and Technical Support End Date? If so, is the only way to update by manually downloading the FW file?

Yes to both.

chilirock

So does that mean that if you don't pay the $10 for premium support, then updating the firmware via the IVR is not possible?

Does it also rule out updates via the OBiTalk portal?

Mango

I wouldn't say completely impossible, because Obihai can certainly offer firmware updates in any way it wants.  It would negate the purpose of the $10 fee, so it is unlikely they are going to offer firmware upgrades in those ways.

I don't pay the fee because I only use Google Voice for testing/experimental purposes, and the problems requiring a firmware upgrade really only happen when Google makes a fundamental change to their service.  Since I use SIP-based service providers, that doesn't affect me.

goldie26

:( :( :( :(
OBiWiFi stopped working after update.
Reverted back to older version 3-1-0-5264

chilirock

Has anyone that upgraded to 3.1.1 5463EX on Obi200/202 experienced issues besides the ObiWiFi one listed above? I was waiting to see if it was stable or had issues before upgrading from v5264

FreeWillie

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 22, 2016, 03:42:43 PM
Who knows what it means, but the fact that Obihai is pushing it to their devices implies to me that it is production software, not a beta.

I see they have implemented LLDP-MED. It allows them to get all sorts of info on your network. If I was not a conspiracy theorist (I am actually) I would say they are just implementing Enhanced 911 services.
::)

SteveInWA

I've now upgraded a 202 and two 200s.  No problems whatsoever.

arobatino

Quote from: Mango on December 22, 2016, 09:00:42 PM
Now, they have apparently started making the version numbers quasi-random, making it even more difficult to find the latest firmware version.

I got the yellow triangle notification of the update for my OBi200, even though at the time only my OBi100 was connected. I swapped in the 200 and did the upgrade with no issues. I'm not paying $10/year and my 200 is out of warranty.

It would be nice, though, if the website would show the firmware version in advance, before it's applied.