News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

My Vtech phone says no line

Started by missnature, December 26, 2016, 08:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

missnature

I am hoping someone can provide some help. My Obi 100 system + Vtech cordless phone set (Model: 6719 if it matters) which was working fine for last 3 years or so, suddenly started reporting "No Line" on the Vtech phone one fine morning approximately 2 weeks ago. No inbound and outbound calls can be made as the phone does not have the dial tone.

To troubleshoot I have done the following things:
1. Replace all the cables to see if it was a cable problem.
2. Replace with a brand new phone purchased today.

The problem continues to persist. According to Obi interface, it looks like it is working fine. SP1 shows connected to Google Voice (But just to make sure I delete the Sp1 configuration and added it back again).

From ObiTalk: Status -> Phone Status
State On Hook 
LoopCurrent 0 mA 
VBAT 0 V (5.0 V) 
TipRingVoltage 0 V   

Here is some information from Status -> System Status page:

AddressingType DHCP 
IPAddress 192.168.0.100 
SubnetMask 255.255.255.0 
DefaultGateway 192.168.0.1 
DNSServer1 8.8.8.8 
DNSServer2 8.8.4.4 
MACAddress 9CADXXXXXXXX

ModelName OBi100 
SerialNumber 88C0XXXXXXXX 
OBiNumber 300 XXX XXX
HardwareVersion 3.4 
SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2886) 
SystemTime 11:23:13 12/26/2016, Monday 
UpTime 0 Days 0:10:21 (0) 
CertificatesStatus Installed 
CustomizationStatus Generic 

SP1 Service Status

Status Connected 
PrimaryProxyServer   
SecondaryProxyServer   
CallState 0 Active Calls 

SP2 Service Status

Status Service Not Configured 
PrimaryProxyServer   
SecondaryProxyServer   
CallState 0 Active Calls 

I have checked all the connections and it looks Ok? Any ideas where I could check next.  I can't figure out if the problem is with Obi or with the phone or somewhere else?

SteveInWA

Hi:

This:

From ObiTalk: Status -> Phone Status
State On Hook  
LoopCurrent 0 mA  
VBAT 0 V (5.0 V)  
TipRingVoltage 0 V  

is not good.  Unplug the phone cord from the back of the OBi, power the OBi off and on again, and then recheck the numbers.   The two voltages should be close to 50V (plus or minus a couple of volts).

If the numbers are still bad, it is time to buy a new OBi 200.

drgeoff

As SteveInWA says the voltages are much too low.  The one in the brackets should be around 12 and the other two about 50.  If they are still bad, try another power supply before binning the Obi100.  12 volt, centre positive.

Whatever the cause it is a hardware problem and no amount of changing configuration settings will fix it.

SteveInWA

The on-hook and off-hook voltages are derived from the DC-DC converters integrated within the OBi's onboard SLIC module.  Given that the device is communicating via its web server and can be accessed over the network. I doubt an external power supply is causing this issue.  It's probably a fried SLIC, which can't be repaired.  It's Hammer Time.

missnature

Thanks for the responses. I rebooted the device and the numbers are still close to 0V.

I will buy Obi200/202. Do you know what is the end of life of these devices? I tried to look around but could not find that info? I don't want to buy this and find out in 6 months that these are getting phased out as well.

SteveInWA

The two current models have been out for several years, but Obihai hasn't announced any EOL dates.  Obihai did announce EOL for the OBi 1xx series, which are discontinued now.  It's anyone's guess as to Obihai's plans for the 200 series.  My own "educated guess" is that these models will be around for several more years.  They don't cost that much to purchase, so it isn't worth worrying about.  They are essentially small computers with software stored on flash memory, so they can be upgraded to fix bugs or add new features.  The underlying SIP VoIP technology hasn't changed dramatically in 15 years or more, and it's become such an established standard that very old ATAs (e.g. from Cisco or Linksys) are still running today.

NoelB

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 27, 2016, 01:35:39 PM
  Obihai did announce EOL for the OBi 1xx series, which are discontinued now. 

The discontinuation of the obi110 with a fxo port is a big loss and hopefully it will be replaced with a similar model in the not too distant future.