News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up Auto Attendant

Started by Michaeldaquila, January 09, 2017, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaeldaquila

Hello. The company I am helping with currently uses Google Voice and five Obi1062 desk phones each with it's own GV phone number. They use the auto attendant function in Grasshopper to link the phones. I would like to see if it would be plausible to switch from Grasshopper to the built in auto attendant in ObiTalk.

I understand that Auto Attendant has three options; press 1 to ring phone, 2 to list options and 3 to repeat (or similar functions). Could we set up the Operator's Obi1062 to have an auto attendant that will tell the caller to press two and then list possible extensions to press which will forward to a different phone number? In a more simple way:

When you call (100) 111-1111

Thanks for calling [Company]. To speak with the operator at any time, press 1. press 20# for John, 21# for Jill, 22# for Jack, or 23# for Andrew.

Press 22#

Forwards to Jack at (100) 555-5555

SteveInWA

You are trying to create a Mickey Mouse solution that is not suitable for business.

Google Voice is a consumer-targeted service.  It's not meant to be a business-class phone system, and Google can and does occasionally shut down users who are grabbing multiple accounts for business use.

The much better and more reliable solution is to use a cloud-based SIP VoIP service provider.  All IVR (auto attendant) functions are performed at the point of call entry into the service, instead of locally, and more powerful rules can be created.  If they don't like Grasshopper, then look at DialPad, Nextiva or Ring Central for example.  For cheaper, DIY solutions, Callcentric or voip.ms are fine.

azrobert

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10297.msg68031#msg68031

Continue reading my replies 3 and 4 in the same thread.
You can route calls the other OBi1062 using the OBiTalk network instead of using GV to transfer the call. When you transfer the call over OBiTalk the original inbound callerid will be passed. Using GV the GV callerid will be passed. Another method to pass callerid is to route the call by IP address of the other devices.

SteveInWA

Again:  Mickey Mouse for business use.  All the major VoIP providers now offer cloud-based IVRs for this exact use case.  They're more flexible, easy to provision and maintain, and can be updated easily from anywhere.  For example, if a business has an emergency closure (weather, other disaster), the owner can simply log into the VoIP service provider and change both the routing and the messages easily.

drgeoff

Quote from: Michaeldaquila on January 09, 2017, 02:58:08 PM
I understand that Auto Attendant has three options; press 1 to ring phone, 2 to list options and 3 to repeat (or similar functions).
You are off to a bad start with an incorrect understanding of the 2nd and 3rd options. Start again at the bottom of page 129 of http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi1000AdminGuide.pdf.