News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to Hook up my Vonage numbers to my new OBI1062

Started by CHBREI, January 23, 2017, 10:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHBREI

Hi all,
I am new to OBItalk and I am trying to set up a new OBI1062 to suit our business needs.  I was able to set up two google voice numbers with no problem, but I need to connect my two main Vonage numbers with it.  Due to the need to have other regular phones in the office to have access to the these numbers and the very low price we negotiated with Vonage, I want to keep our Vonage service and do not want to port the numbers to google voice or some other service.  I want to be able to use all of our numbers on this one phone. 

I am in the set up field and have chosen "Generic Service Provider" but do not know what I am supposed to put in the fields for Service Provider Proxy Server, Outbound Proxy Server, Outbound Proxy Server Port and URI.  Can anyone please tell me what to do in order to be able to use my Vonage service with this device?  Thank you!

drgeoff

You cannot configure Vonage on your OBi device without knowing the SIP credentials.  If you have Vonage Business see Step 1 at https://voicent.com/kb/index.php/support/gateway/450/configure-vonage-sip

CHBREI

Hi drgeoff, thanks for you post! I reviewed the url you mentioned and from what I read, it says that you have to have a Vonage soft phone AND if you have high call volume a Vonage business account.  We do not have a high call volume, so does that mean that I can get all of the required settings if we pay Vonage for the regular non business soft phone?  From what I can see at Vonage, I think that means the soft phone comes with a new number when we would like to keep the same number for both regular and soft phone usage.  Any other ideas how to keep our Vonage number on regular phones as well as this OBI1062?   ???

SteveInWA

Vonage's consumer plans with unlimited calling use their own, locked-down ATAs.  They don't give out the SIP credentials.  This is to prevent abuse of their service, by users provisioning that unlimited account on multiple devices or in multiple locations.

You can simply port the numbers out of Vonage, to a SIP VoIP Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) that does offer open credentials.  For example, Callcentric will port your numbers in for free, and, being an OBiTALK-supported service provider, it just takes a few minutes to set it up on your OBi phone(s).