News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200: Packet drops after connection established

Started by gekkster, January 26, 2017, 01:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gekkster

Have been connecting regularly from the US with a friend in Dubai over our OBI 200s, with great call quality. Starting ~mid-January, the connection is established, can hear the first hello clearly, but the call quality drops precipitously after that. Like packets are being dropped. To the extent that conversation is impossible.

Service providers on both sides are unchanged. Bandwidth on Dubai end is ~3 Mbps, on US end is ~50 Mbps.
Updated firmware to the latest version available.
Device on the Dubai end is fine otherwise. Same with my device.

Any suggestions on what to pursue to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks.

LTN1

My guess is that the ISP in Dubai is limiting VoIP data transmission.

But just so you can confirm that on your end there are no calling issues...just call another OBi user in the United States or any US number. If it works fine then the problem likely lies in Dubai.

Check out this web information: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-VOIP-blocked-in-Dubai-and-in-other-places-in-UAE

gekkster

I use my OBi as the primary landline, and confirmed it is working fine. The possibility that the ISP in Dubai is limiting/blocking VoIP is certainly real. Let me find out more about that. But interestingly, I see a similar pattern when calling another OBi in India. Initial exchange is good, followed by no audio. But it is intermittent.

Did ask my friend to do a factory reset of the OBi. No luck.

Thanks.