News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Are my expectations doable?

Started by Loughary, February 07, 2011, 07:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loughary

Okay...I just ordered the OBi110 from Amazon last night (got one 3rd quarter of SB) my goal is to eliminate my land-line phone and use Google voice and OBi110 as my primary home phone.  We have 3 cell phones so I'm not real concerned about the e911.

Just wondering if this is really doable and does anyone think that Google will be making changes that would eliminate GV from working with the OBi110?

Wonder if it would be possible to program a speed dial with the OBi110 for 911 that would dial your local emergency number as a back up plan?

Thanks
Dennis

QBZappy

Hi,

Why not do the following instead. Set up the Obi so that when you dial 911, it is programmed to dial the number you were planning to setup in the speed dial. This makes it easier to use and more transparent to the user. You could also set up other similar 911 public service numbers like 411, 311, etc...

This could be accomplished by setting up the the following in this section of the Obi web page setup:
This example assumes you are using a service provider.(No POTS service)

Setup Wizard->Outbound Settings->ITSP DigitMap
Place this in front of what is already in that section.
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>)},{(<311:514xxxxxxx>)},

If you have a POTS line connected to the Obi you could also do the following,  press #, this gives you a dial tone from your POTS line. This would be the safest way to do it because it calls out through your POTS line, with all CID info.

I think you could also setup the dial plan to use <**8> to prepend to 911 which will send it out to the line port as 911 if you have POTS.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Loughary

Thanks for the reply....I'm a total newbie..to all this?  So if I understand you correctly I could set the Obi up in a way so if I dialed 911 it would dial a predefined number that I programmed for my local emergency service?  FYI...I will not have any other line connected to the Obi...just google voice.

Thanks
Dennis

QBZappy

Correct,
If you are only using Google Voice, then you should set that up as your "Phone PrimaryLine" in the Obi web page:

Setup Wizard->Outbound Settings->IPhone PrimaryLine

Then:
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>):spX}, {(<311:514xxxxxxx>):spX},

Of course find out what your local numbers are and replace the 514xxxxxxx with your local numbers. This examples shows how to setup more than one public 911 type service. If you only need to setup 911 just enter this in front of what is already there:
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>):spX}, <- note the comma

Do not erase the other outbound rules. You will need them to make regular outbound calls.

If you do not have a POTS line connected then dialing # is not relevant to your situation.

Edit: Corrected
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Loughary

Thank you....I'm looking forward to receiving my Obi...from what I've been reading it sounds like I got lucky with getting one from Amazon last night $49.99 shipped.

Dennis

OlgaGomez1960

So if i wanted to dial 411 to get Google411 information line I could add this to the begging of the ITSP Digitmap under setup wizard outbound settings?:

{(<411:18004664411>)},

or am I missing something it just seems too easy? =P

EDIT:
Oops I wasnt' aware that google shut down its Goog411 service I guess its back to Free411 so it would be:
{(<411:18003733411>)},

In order get at least some sort of 411 service?

RonR

You're close.  The '{...},' notation is used in CallRoute's, not in DigitMaps.

The default ITSPx DigitMap is:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)

If you change it to:

(<411:18003733411>|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)

Dialing 411 will send 18003733411 out any SPx port(s) that use ITSPx.

OlgaGomez1960

Thanks  ;D,

Can't wait till my OBI gets here next week, hopefully i can add this 411 rule and also have 911 call my local police station, this just made me like this unit even more.

keith.h.morris@gmail.com

I think it would be a good idea to have an option within the ObiTalk portal to have this as an option. You could have the user input the local police station number and when someone dials 911 it routes to that number. This would be good for users who don't feel comfortable digging deeper into the configuration settings.

jimates

I agree. Have the option to change the default and send 911 to sp1 or sp2 and a field to input an alternate number if desired.

a lot of SIP providers do provide 911 service and therefor the default needs to be changed from PSTN to one of the sp's even without an alternate number.

Even the ability to change it on the Obi, but without having to research the forum for the proper way to edit the digit maps and call routes.

OlgaGomez1960

great idea.... one for each... 911 and 411

MrNetwork

I don't have the same choices in the Outbound settings. All I have is SP1 Service, SP2 Service, ObiTalk Service, PSTN Line, and Trunk Group 1. Which should I choose? I already tried SP1 service, but when I entered the information for my police department in Setup Wizard->Outbound Settings->ITSP DigitMap, I wasn't able to make any calls.

I am only using Google Voice.

Quote from: QBZappy on February 07, 2011, 09:30:16 AM
Correct,
If you are only using Google Voice, then you should set that up as your "Phone PrimaryLine" in the Obi web page:

Then:
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>)},{(<311:514xxxxxxx>)},

Of course find out what your local numbers are and replace the 514xxxxxxx with your local numbers. This examples shows how to setup more than one public 911 type service. If you only need to setup 911 just enter this in front of what is already there:
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>)}, <- note the comma

Do not erase the other outbound rules. You will need them to make regular outbound calls.

If you do not have a POTS line connected then dialing # is not relevant to your situation.

QBZappy

Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: QBZappy on February 07, 2011, 09:30:16 AM

This is configuration directly off the OBi unit, not via the OBi portal.

There is a typo there. To clarify it should read:
Setup Wizard->Outbound Settings->Phone PrimaryLine = SP1/2 (Whatever your GV acct is setup on)

Quote from: MrNetwork on August 19, 2011, 07:47:02 AM
I don't have the same choices in the Outbound settings. All I have is SP1 Service, SP2 Service, ObiTalk Service, PSTN Line, and Trunk Group 1. Which should I choose? I already tried SP1 service, but when I entered the information for my police department in Setup Wizard->Outbound Settings->ITSP DigitMap, I wasn't able to make any calls.

Those are the choices offered. Since you only have GV I assume you set it up on SP1. That is the one you should pick. Don't erase the default setup. You need to add this in front separated by a "," (comma)
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>):spX}, <- note the comma

On the System Staus page directly off the OBi unit, does your SP1 (GV) Service Status show Connected?

Edit:
Corrected

RonR

Quote from: MrNetwork on August 19, 2011, 07:47:02 AM

MrNetwork,

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

The following:

{(<911:514xxxxxxx>)}  and  {(<311:514xxxxxxx>)}

aren't valid rules anywhere in an OBi.

QBZappy

should be
{(<911:514xxxxxxx>):spX},

MrNetwork

I was trying to set it up so when I dialed 911 it would dial the 7-digit police phone number.

I guess I don't know how to configure the obi directly (not using the portal). I assume I would enter the IP address but I don't know what the username and password is.

QBZappy

The username/password is admin/admin.

RonR

Quote from: MrNetwork on August 19, 2011, 02:47:22 PM
I was trying to set it up so when I dialed 911 it would dial the 7-digit police phone number.

The default OutboundCallRoute in the OBi is:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

To have the OBi call an alternate number using SP1 when 911 is dialed, make the following change:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port ->  OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{(<911:12125551212>):sp1},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},
{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

where 12125551212 is the number you wish to be called when you dial 911.

Quote from: MrNetwork on August 19, 2011, 02:47:22 PM
I guess I don't know how to configure the obi directly (not using the portal). I assume I would enter the IP address but I don't know what the username and password is.

The default username/password is admin/admin.

You will also need to disable Auto Provisioning:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled.

infin8loop

I'd like to be serious for a second here (unusual for me) but when it comes to E911 (or whatever your country uses) emergency services please be aware that the 911 operator may not automatically get your location (i.e. address, etc) when dialing through a voip provider (if the call even goes through to the proper E911 center) that they would normally get if dialed via a traditional phone line.  By default the OBi110 appears to route 911 to the LINE port probably assuming that the LINE port will be connected to a traditional phone line.  I don't recall giving GoogleVoice personal details about my address.  I don't have another voip provider, but in researching callcentric and voip.ms I seem to recall that callcentric pretty much forces you to get their E911 service if you are in the US and E911 service is optional on voip.ms.  Just two examples.
I think the authorities generally frown on making test calls to E911 without at least calling the non-emergency number and letting them know what you are planning to do and getting an ok.  I'd hate for someone to think they have E911 service and find out in a real emergency that they don't.  The sticker on the top of the OBi110 says "No Emergency Calls" probably because of the possible confusion in setting it up correctly (and a room full of lawyers said they had to put it on there).

Just a thought.  Now back to my regularly scheduled programming.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

jimates

The "E" in E911 stands for "enhanced", as opposed to regular 911. The "E" means the location of the call is transmitted to the 911 call center. Most services that offer E911 have a separate place to enter the 911 location information instead of just using the account address. This allows you to change the 911 information yourself on their site from within your account.

I also agree that everything with the Obi that says anything about not using it for emergency calls is strictly for liability purposes.