News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is A 202 worth the cost If I already use two 110's?

Started by BillDoe, February 09, 2017, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDoe

I'm trying to determine if the update in features and technology is worth the cost of replacing two 110's (one for each phone number)with one 202?

I mostly get the benefits of the two phone ports, etc., but from a spec/performance standpoint is it really a meaningful performance upgrade or just a single devide with a few more bells and whistles?

SteveInWA

The "performance" increase is only important as far as the 200 series devices' ability to support some additional features and expanded capacity (e.g. supporting four different service providers vs. two for the 100 series).  The "performance" of the 100 series is already sufficient for VoIP telephone calling.

The current 200 series ATAs do not have a jack to connect the devices to the PSTN (POTS, or plain old telephone service).  If you aren't using that function today (e.g. not bridging VoIP calls with land line or other service provider calls via that jack), then you won't lose any functionality by upgrading.

If your 110 devices already work fine today, and you don't need the extra features of the 200 series, then there is no reason to upgrade.  If one of your 110s goes bad, then that would be the time to get a 202.

Obihai is updating their website.  Here is the new link to their product information page:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products

NoelB

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 09, 2017, 05:18:07 PM

Obihai is updating their website.  Here is the new link to their product information page:

Seems a bit strange to include the EOL Obi110 and still no mention of the replacement.

SteveInWA

Quote from: NoelB on February 09, 2017, 07:11:01 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on February 09, 2017, 05:18:07 PM

Seems a bit strange to include the EOL Obi110 and still no mention of the replacement.

I carefully chose my words:  "...is updating...", meaning, the website work is in progress, not finished.  Don't assume anything about the future product line from that.

BillDoe

Thanks Steve.

I would only consider the buy if there's enough of an improvement in performance (ie., fewer dropped calls) than I suffered with the 110's early on. I don;t know if the 110's have gotten any better as I use my cell for 99% of my calling now and only use the VOIP landline as a backup or emergency number for our alarm company.

Also the ability to only have one unit vs 2, only one router port occupied instead of two, etc. Would my router speed increase if its only supplying to one unit vs two?

drgeoff

Quote from: BillDoe on February 10, 2017, 05:53:30 AM
Would my router speed increase if its only supplying to one unit vs two?
The "speed" of your router will not change.  The difference in how much 'work' the router has to do with two 110s versus one is insignificant.  Your connection rates (upload and download) to the internet won't change either as the traffic to and from your ITSPs will be the same.

SteveInWA

Quote from: BillDoe on February 10, 2017, 05:53:30 AM
Thanks Steve.

I would only consider the buy if there's enough of an improvement in performance (ie., fewer dropped calls) than I suffered with the 110's early on.

You didn't mention which Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) you are using; a SIP provider or Google Voice.  There are too many factors other than the OBi box, to pinpoint dropped call issues.  For example, your internet service could be flaky.  VoIP is a real-time communications protocol that is very sensitive to internet connection quality.  You wouldn't notice this when browsing the web or streaming a video, because your computer buffers the data.  The VoIP service provider and the various VoIP carriers in-between each end of the call are also contributing factors.

I don;t know if the 110's have gotten any better as I use my cell for 99% of my calling now and only use the VOIP landline as a backup or emergency number for our alarm company.

If that's all you do with it, then it doesn't seem worth it to me to upgrade.

Also the ability to only have one unit vs 2, only one router port occupied instead of two, etc. Would my router speed increase if its only supplying to one unit vs two?

What the doctor said.