News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai sends the killshot to the 100 series

Started by FreeServiceForLife, February 18, 2017, 01:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeServiceForLife

Came home to my Obi100 with a blinking red light.  This usually indicates a failed firmware upgrade.  Really, this product is discontinued with no firmware to update.  Conclusion.. Obihaii sent the killshot to coincide with the Obi200 sale announcement.  Well that is certainly one way to force and upgrade, but lose a customer for life.

Done with this company and the quality problems.  What a hateful despicible thing to do..

drgeoff

Taoman

Quote from: FreeServiceForLife on February 18, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
Really, this product is discontinued with no firmware to update.  Conclusion.. Obihaii sent the killshot to coincide with the Obi200 sale announcement. 

Your "Conclusion" is delusional.

Firmware update for your OBi100 is right here:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Update your device manually and please quit spreading garbage.

SteveInWA

Any product manufacturer that would do that would risk a shit-storm of bad publicity and a class-action lawsuit.  That's utterly absurd.  And, no, you are not entitled to "Free service for life" from any product, unless it comes with an unlimited, lifetime product warranty.

Mango

Quote from: FreeServiceForLife on February 18, 2017, 01:22:28 PMCame home to my Obi100 with a blinking red light.  This usually indicates a failed firmware upgrade.

It can also indicate a failed power supply.  If you have a compatible one, try swapping it out.

You may also wish to try factory reset: unplug power, insert paperclip into reset button, install power, release reset when power light is flashing green.

LTN1

GrandCentral used to have a "One Number for Life" back in 2007 but I don't think they went as far as saying it would be free for life. But even its number for life didn't get fulfilled after it was acquired by Google. See https://techcrunch.com/2007/08/20/google-disconnects-grand-central-customers/

From a legal standpoint, unless it is a bilateral contract (both parties sign), a promise or unilateral contract "for life" guarantee isn't legally enforceable. Of course, bankruptcy would discharge that promise, even if it was a bilateral contract. So much for the "life" guarantee in that case.

Realistically, whether it's Google Voice, Hangouts or the OBi devices, a healthy outlook is to ride it for as long as it will allow. But...know that technology changes and that it is just a matter of time when those services/devices will no longer continue. Like Si Robertson often says, "That's a fact, Jack!"

FreeServiceForLife

Quote from: drgeoff on February 18, 2017, 01:33:53 PM
Nonsensical paranoia.

Quote from: Taoman on February 18, 2017, 02:09:56 PM
Your "Conclusion" is delusional.

Yes and Russia did NOT hack the DNC during the 2016 election cycle!

Quote from: Mango on February 18, 2017, 05:10:07 PM
It can also indicate a failed power supply.  If you have a compatible one, try swapping it out.

I plugged the Obi100 power supply into an Obi200 and it worked fine.  I also plugged the Obi200 power supply into the Obi100 and still got the blinking red light.

Quote from: Taoman on February 18, 2017, 02:09:56 PM
Firmware update for your OBi100 is right here:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Update your device manually and please quit spreading garbage.

That firmware was already applied to the Obi100 long ago.  You cannot update a device that is bricked - a blinking red light is EOL (only garbage here is the kill shot to brick the device)

Quote from: Mango on February 18, 2017, 05:10:07 PM
You may also wish to try factory reset: unplug power, insert paperclip into reset button, install power, release reset when power light is flashing green.

can't get past the blinking red light when trying to reset the device.  Thanks for your helpful comments.

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 18, 2017, 03:40:30 PM
Any product manufacturer that would do that would risk a shit-storm of bad publicity and a class-action lawsuit.  That's utterly absurd.  And, no, you are not entitled to "Free service for life" from any product, unless it comes with an unlimited, lifetime product warranty.

...and that is unheard of in business right?  Steve get off you self-righteous holier than thou Obi-can-do-no-wrong bandwagon.  Fact is Obi devices are failing at an alarming rate and you are simply an apologist on this forum, so GFY.

Obihai manufacturers and sells failure prone products.  Never in my life have I owned electronic devices that were this unreliable.  Simply terrible and now killing devices off to force upgrades is the last straw for me.

Taoman

Quote from: FreeServiceForLife on February 20, 2017, 07:55:08 AM
Simply terrible and now killing devices off to force upgrades is the last straw for me.

Riddle me this: if Obihai sent a "killshot" why isn't this forum filled with complaints from people who have bricked OBi devices? Why is my OBi110 still working just fine? Or did Obihai send this killshot just to you and a few select other people?

Suggest you look up the "Relationship Implies Causation Fallacy" and educate yourself.

WelshPaul

Quote from: FreeServiceForLife on February 18, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
Came home to my Obi100 with a blinking red light.  This usually indicates a failed firmware upgrade.  Really, this product is discontinued with no firmware to update.  Conclusion.. Obihaii sent the killshot to coincide with the Obi200 sale announcement.  Well that is certainly one way to force and upgrade, but lose a customer for life.

Done with this company and the quality problems.  What a hateful despicible thing to do..

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Taoman

The following was just posted on DSLreports:
QuoteMy Obi100 is seemingly flaky. It does not at all like to lose power, or perhaps sometimes to even reboot. It goes into the "flashing red light" mode which -- per some commentary on the Internet -- is unrecoverable. Its webpage will come up in recovery mode, and I can flash any firmware I chose, over and over, but it will still reboot flashing red.

I've discovered that it just wants a rest. I don't know why -- overheated components, maybe? -- but if I pull it from service for "some time" it will work just fine after I plug it back in. Most recently I'd set aside and was using instead my repurposed BasicTalk-branded HT701 with my Dockstar PBX and/or the Simonics GVGW. (Did that last Thanksgiving). But when the Obi200 went on sale this past weekend my wallet started to get itchy. Rather than jump to buy the new Obi I plugged in the old 100 and -- naturally -- it worked just fine.

I have been ridiculed on this forum before for making the same claim. But the experience of myself and so many others speaks for itself. A blinking red light indicates firmware corruption. It does not mean the device is "bricked."
If you simply disconnect a 100/110 series device from all connections and let it sit for a few days there is a good chance it will come back to life again and work reliably.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on February 20, 2017, 09:19:56 AM
The following was just posted on DSLreports:
QuoteMy Obi100 is seemingly flaky. It does not at all like to lose power, or perhaps sometimes to even reboot. It goes into the "flashing red light" mode which -- per some commentary on the Internet -- is unrecoverable. Its webpage will come up in recovery mode, and I can flash any firmware I chose, over and over, but it will still reboot flashing red.

I've discovered that it just wants a rest. I don't know why -- overheated components, maybe? -- but if I pull it from service for "some time" it will work just fine after I plug it back in. Most recently I'd set aside and was using instead my repurposed BasicTalk-branded HT701 with my Dockstar PBX and/or the Simonics GVGW. (Did that last Thanksgiving). But when the Obi200 went on sale this past weekend my wallet started to get itchy. Rather than jump to buy the new Obi I plugged in the old 100 and -- naturally -- it worked just fine.

I have been ridiculed on this forum before for making the same claim. But the experience of myself and so many others speaks for itself. A blinking red light indicates firmware corruption. It does not mean the device is "bricked."
If you simply disconnect a 100/110 series device from all connections and let it sit for a few days there is a good chance it will come back to life again and work reliably.

"Ridiculed"?  Personally, I welcome your contributions.  Let's just stick to basic principles of electronics and leave out the emotion.

A blinking red light indicates firmware corruption.

That's true, but it doesn't cover every case of the blinking red LED.  It's like the classic logic error, "all Greeks have beards, therefore, all men with beards are Greek."

If corrupted firmware was the root cause in this example, or the one on DSLReports, then how do you explain the "leave it unplugged and it magically works again"?  The firmware can't fix itself.  AFAIAK, DSLreports is the Breitbart News of the network tech world.

There are no large electrolytic capacitors inside the OBi, which would retain a charge over days.  You can take the device apart and look, as I've done, if you are curious.

I've mentioned in the past, that it is more likely an example of ESD damage to one or more of the integrated circuits in the device.  It's common for ICs to break down over time, when exposed to repeated ESD or voltage spikes caused by disturbances on one of the external connections (phone line, power line, network cabling).  Believe it or not, (tip of the hat to WelshPaul), cosmic rays can also cause gradual damage or momentary failures.  That's why military-grade electronic equipment is built to more rugged standards, and has more rugged protection from these hazards.  The OBi 1x0 devices contain a very inexpensive and simple flash memory module, which, BTW, has now been discontinued (end of life) by the manufacturer.

I don't know what the firmware subroutine is doing, when it checks and generates the red LED.  To understand this, it's important to know that the OBis have a highly-integrated "system on a chip" or SOC, which contains a CPU and all the input/output circuitry.  The SOC communicates with a separate, self-contained flash memory IC, which integrates the actual flash memory cells with an on-board flash controller.  The SOC is talking to the flash module via a serial interface (sending commands and data back and forth, vs. directly controlling the flash memory cells).  All the SOC can do is to use the command set and error messages supported by the flash memory module.  The SOC is also using some form of checksum to determine if the firmware on the flash is good, or is corrupted.  If the flash module returns an error code, or a bad checksum is calculated, then the SOC is going to decide to either quit and throw the permanent error (blinking red LED) or to retry. 

A safe assumption in this case, is that the firmware tells the SOC to read from the flash memory IC, and the flash module returns either some high number of temporary errors, or a permanent error, or fails to respond at all.  It's possible that the flash memory IC is teetering on failure, and will eventually crap out entirely, if additional electrical surge events occur.  This is similar to the user experience when a computer's hard disk or SSD is starting to fail (in these cases, the drive controller's SMART firmware is monitoring for, and reporting on these errors).

I'm not arguing whether or not it's possible that a device can spontaneously stop throwing errors and work for some TBD amount of time.  My view is simply that, if the thing fails and fails and fails, and I don't want it to fail again while I am using it for some important call, then I'd recycle it and buy a new one.  Anyone who disagrees or doesn't care, is welcome to keep using their OBi.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 20, 2017, 02:44:50 PM

I'm not arguing whether or not it's possible that a device can spontaneously stop throwing errors and work for some TBD amount of time.  My view is simply that, if the thing fails and fails and fails, and I don't want it to fail again while I am using it for some important call, then I'd recycle it and buy a new one.  Anyone who disagrees or doesn't care, is welcome to keep using their OBi.

On this we agree completely. Thanks for your post.

SteveInWA

OBi 1x0 users who are on Obihai's mailing list should have received a note today, with a -$10.01 promotional discount on buying a 200 at Amazon, for a net cost before sales tax of $39.98.  I'd post the information here, but the promo code only worked for me if I used the "Get the OBi200 here" button at the bottom of the note.

Disclaimer:  "This promotion expires on Saturday, February 28th at 11:59 PM Pacific, or when supplies run-out."

If you a)are in the USA and b) want the deal, and c) didn't get the note, send me a PM with your email address.