News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I forward my GV calls to a Project Fi phone?

Started by Standroid, February 25, 2017, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Standroid

Hello all,

With much help from this community - special thanks to SteveInWa - I have completed my transition to GV. Last summer I installed my OBi202 and put my landline on forwarding to my GV number. In the most recent step the landline was disconnected a month ago and my landline number of 15 years is now my GV number. When at home I take and place calls with the OBi202,  when away from home I use the Hangouts app with my phone and the data services of Tmobile.

For a number of reasons Google's Project Fi is interesting to me as an alternative to my Tmobile PrePaid account, but reports suggests that my OBi202 may not fit well in a GV/Project Fi world! The last discussion of this issue on this forum was 18 months ago. So, I ask the question:

If I purchase a Project Fi phone and activate it on a NEW Gmail account (not the account linked to my GV/OBi202),

1) can I add the Project Fi number as a "New linked number" in my current GV account?
2) or, can I receive incoming calls through Hangouts on the Project Fi phone? This would require connecting the Hangouts app on the Project Fi phone to my current GV account - can that be done?
3) or, is there a better way to accomplish the goal of receiving incoming calls to my GV account on the Project Fi phone?

Thanks,

Stan

SteveInWA

Hi Stan:

I'm glad to hear that your port into Google Voice worked out.

With regard to Google Voice and Project Fi:  no, you cannot forward a GV number to a Fi number, nor the reverse.  You cannot add a Fi number as a forwarding or "linked" phone number to a GV account, nor the reverse.  For that reason, if you are happy with Google Voice, then don't sign up for Project Fi.

Do not attempt any of the "azrobert" workarounds to circumvent these restrictions, as it will interfere with the Project Fi and GV services.

Reference:  https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6246240