News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any replacement with FXO like 110?

Started by wvoc, February 21, 2017, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvoc

Title really. I got an email saying the 110 is dead. Am I missing something or is the 110 being killed with no replacement? Is there anything that replaces it which merges SIP with POTS? If nothing Obi that's ok.

My other option at this point is to set aside 3 or 4 weekends to figure out how to add FXO/FXS ports and FreePBX to my PFsense box. So anything that would take less time to learn/setup would be a better alternative. If not, anyone with good guide suggestions for me to follow would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Your OBi110 is no more dead now than it was the day before you received the email*.

Thousands of OBI100s and OBi110s are still working all across the globe.  They are not about to be "killed" by a command sent over the internet by OBi Central.

Currently there is no other OBi ATA or phone that connects directly to a POTS line.  Whether Obihai will introduce a new ATA with that feature remains to be seen.

* I challenge you to show where the word "dead" or "kill" appears in the email.

SteveInWA

Well, perhaps a flawed deduction and a bad choice of words and sentence structure by the OP, but I could rephrase his/her question as:

"I see that the OBi 110 was discontinued and will no longer be available for sale, per Obihai's End Of Life announcement from last August, 2016, at http://blog.obihai.com/2016/08/end-of-life-announcement-obi100-and.html. Their their recent promotion offers a discount on the OBi 200.  Does Obihai offer, or will they offer, a new ATA with a FXO port?"

The answer to that question is:

• This is old news from last August.
  • The only current alternative to the 110 is to use a 200 or 202 or OBi IP phone with the optional OBiLINE USB dongle.
  • Obihai hasn't yet announced the next-generation OBi ATA to offer a line (FXO) port.  That doesn't mean one isn't in development.

BigJim_McD

wvoc,

My OBi110 continues to work flawlessly but I switched our primary home phone service to an OBi202 with an attached 2-Line phone nearly 4 years ago. 

Currently, I use the OBi110 to integrate an AT&T Wireless Home phone into our home phone system as a "Backup" that will continue to work during the rare times that we have an extended internet outage. When the OBi110 eventually stops working (of circuity old age or outdated firmware) I will add the optional OBiLINE USB dongle.

Using the OBi110 with AT&T WHP service is actually an exercise in unneeded caution as extended internet outages have become extremely rare and we have mobile phones.  At the same time, the OBi110/AT&T WHP project was a great way to learn more about using OBi devices as I learned from post and examples from our very knowledgeable ObiTALK forum "Hero Members".
BigJimMcD

wvoc

Thank you BigJim_McD  and SteveInWA. I guess this is the push I need to finally get to the FreePBX item in my extended to do list.

@drgeoff did I trigger you somehow? I apologize for offending your obviously very delicate sensitivities in, what I was unaware was, your safe space.

drgeoff

Quote from: wvoc on February 21, 2017, 08:28:25 PM
Thank you BigJim_McD  and SteveInWA. I guess this is the push I need to finally get to the FreePBX item in my extended to do list.

@drgeoff did I trigger you somehow? I apologize for offending your obviously very delicate sensitivities in, what I was unaware was, your safe space.
@wvoc
I wasn't offended in the slightest by your original post.  The only thing that could offend me now is that you failed to thank me for providing the same information as the two subsequent posters whom you did thank.

To get FreePBX or similar working with a POTS line you still have to source a POTS interface.