News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using SIM from TM and Speedtalk monthly plan to port landline #

Started by joemck, February 23, 2017, 03:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemck

Hi,  

I bought a OBi200 VoIP unit.  Want to know how to port with a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM.

Some fairly basic questions on porting the landline # over to GV:

- After I purchase a TM SIM card (e.g. from Amazon) do I need to call TM and add e.g. $3/month TM pay-as-you-go plan in order to activate the SIM card?

- if I get a Speedtalk/LycaMobile SIM card w/ $5/month plan would that work too?  Do I get the PIN from Speedtalk/LycaMobile? After porting the phone number on the SIM to GV I can disconnect service from Speedtalk/LycaMobile?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Use T-Mobile, not one of those other two.  Reason:  the small re-sellers have very little expertise in number porting, and are the #2 cause of failed ports (the #1 cause is the user entering incorrect information).

Yes, you need the mobile phone to be fully working, including making and receiving voice phone calls and SMS, before you start the port into Google Voice.  So, add some call credits.

This is documented here:  http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

wpsb

I ported two land line numbers over via tmobile. One was OOMA - that took over a week to port as OOMA was very difficult. I also ported a Verizon line which took a number of hours.