News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Have multiple Obi's, any benefit to having separate Obitalk accounts?

Started by dircom, August 09, 2013, 06:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

Searched forums, and couldn't find an answer.  I thought I have asked this before
Have multiple Obi's, any benefit to having separate Obitalk accounts for various family members?
thanks

ianobi

Having them all in one account means only that account can make changes remotely using the OBiTALK portal. That may be a good or bad thing depending on who wants to make changes.

If all the devices are in one account, then the OBiTALK portal will put all of the devices in each others' "Circle of Trust". This means they all get access to each others' Auto Attendant and they can all directly dial through each others' Primary Lines. Again, this may be a good or bad thing depending on what you want. You can manually edit each OBiTALK InboundCallRoute to change how this works.

The devices will not show up in each others "Circle of Trust" menu. Don't ask me why! Only devices that are put into a "Circle of Trust" via the "Invite and Accept" method show up there.

dircom

All of the places I have the Obi's are either at my locations, or family locations where people are computer illiterate, and would not know how to reconfigure anything - except my daughters.  

One thing I thought of I occasionally use a 3cx softphone, and its been awhile since I set it up but I think it uses the PC app phone #.
How would the 3cx app work, if you tried to use that OBI PC app phone # on more than one computer?

also when I do call my daughters OBI (Obi to Obi **9-300-xxx-xxx) which is currently on a separate Obitalk account, I get a msg saying the number was rejected by the service provider

ianobi

QuoteOne thing I thought of I occasionally use a 3cx softphone, and its been awhile since I set it up but I think it uses the PC app phone #.
How would the 3cx app work, if you tried to use that OBI PC app phone # on more than one computer?

Yes, the softphone connects via OBiAPP and uses your softphone number 290xxxxxx. You can set it up on more than one computer, but it can only be logged in to one at a time. The last place you log in from will be the active connection and will disconnect any previous connection.

Quotewhen I do call my daughters OBI (Obi to Obi **9-300-xxx-xxx) which is currently on a separate Obitalk account, I get a msg saying the number was rejected by the service provider

This is strange. By default any OBi number can call any other OBi number. Does Status > Call History on your local web page give any clues? The call should go out on OBiTALK1 with the format ob300xxxxxx. If you are in her "Circle of Trust", then you should get her auto attendant. If not, then you should ring her phone. Can you ring other OBi numbers such as the test number **9222222222? The only other explanation is that there is something odd about her OBiTALK InboundCallRoute.

dircom

Every other function on my obi's work that I know of
I call obi to obi all that I manage on my dashboard
It does not matter which obi in the dashboard I am at, they all can call each other obi to obi
  [The call quality seems to be better if I call this way, instead of dialing a GV #]

The only problem is I can't call her Obi directly
My daughter has a separate obitalk account.  I am not in her circle of Trust

11:30:58   From PH1   To PP1(ob300xxxxxx)
11:30:59      Call Ended (404 Not Found)

I have verified the obi # twice with her

**9222222222 goes to silence (no ring)

Shale

Quote from: dircom on August 10, 2013, 09:26:29 AM

**9222222222 goes to silence (no ring)

That seems to say it a router thing on your end. The other end, we don't know yet.

Did you set up ports on your router? With many routers you don't need to do that, but http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiFAQ.html has a list of ports in case you do.

You could put your OBi in the DMZ, at least initially.

ianobi

(404 Not Found) seems to suggest that the Obihai servers think your daughter's OBi is off-line or the number does not exist. You could ask her to ring you via your OBi number. This would give confirmation of her OBi number by looking in your Call History. This sounds extreme, but I do actually own an OBi110 and its OBi number is different from that shown on the base of the unit.

**9222222222 should get you the OBi echo test. I just tried it, it does seem to be working. Again - any clues in Call History?

dircom

12:33:13   From PH1   To PP1(ob222222222)
12:33:14      Call Connected
12:34:25   Call Ended   

but when I call it, just get silence

also
12:44:38   From PH1   To PP1(ob222222222)
12:44:39      Call Connected
12:45:45      Call Ended (481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist)

my daughter is going back home today, and I will ask her to call obi to obi, which she has never done
the calls she makes from her GV look like this

12:22:56   From 'xxxxx -GV_Co' SP4(1970xxxxxxx)   Fork to:
PH2
PH1
12:22:56      Ringing (PH2)
12:22:56      Ringing (PH1)
12:23:06      Call Connected (PH1)
12:46:16   Call Ended

What would she need to do to let me manage her obi?
 just log in to her dashboard and delete the profile for her GV #?

ianobi

I would concentrate on solving the **9222222222 issue first. Have a look at what Shale was suggesting in Reply #5.

QuoteWhat would she need to do to let me manage her obi?

This is not necessary to solve the calling problem. If you wanted to do it she would need to do a factory reset, then you would need to use "Add Device" from your Dashboard. Then you would need to set up GV again on her OBi.