News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 PHONE port dead?

Started by Plocmstart, April 03, 2017, 09:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plocmstart

I've had my OBi200 for about 11 months (prior to that I used a OBi110 that stopped booting).  This weekend it stopped providing a dial tone.  I've tried power cycling it a few times and connecting a phone directly to the PHONE port.  The device's PHONE port status page doesn't display any information.  Calling the number registered with the device shows up in the log as "RINGING" but there is no phone that rings when connected to it.  Power and phone lights are solid green and the internet flashes (obviously working since I can access the device config pages).
Based on this behavior, my best guess is that the PHONE port has died.  I submitted a support ticket, but not sure what the turnaround is on that.  Since I need to have the phone up ASAP I ordered a replacement OBi200 for now, but still hope that this can be fixed/replaced.

SteveInWA

Hi:

The device's PHONE port status page doesn't display any information.

What do you mean, exactly?  Do you mean that there are no voltages displayed, or the page is blank, or what?

When the attached phone is on-hook, the page should look like the screenshot below.  What does yours say?

...and connecting a phone directly to the PHONE port...

Do you mean that you formerly had it attached to your house's telephone wiring?  You also mentioned a dead OBi 110.  Do you realize that attaching the OBi to the house wiring can damage the phone port, if you have not completely disconnected the two telephone wires coming into your premises from the telephone company?

Plocmstart

For the sake of answer the questions:

- The PHONE port status page displayed parameter names, but there is no text (values) in the table for any of the parameters.

- Yes, external connections had been disconnected.  I had DSL connected via dedicated lines at the box outside my house and UVerse had made sure the phone signals were disconnected so I could still use the wiring inside my house.  Last year I was able to upgrade to fiber, so there are no lines connected at the junction box.

The unit has been returned via RMA.  In the meantime I've purchased another OBi200 as well as a phone line surge suppressor just in case it had managed to couple in to the phone lines somewhere else I'm not aware of (maybe via cordless phone base unit).

SteveInWA

Great.  Let us know if the new OBi works...