News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Phone Line LED blinking on setup, setup fails

Started by BlindMike, April 09, 2017, 12:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlindMike

3AM here in New Jersey and I am a bit stumped . 
Setting up new Obi202, power light solid green, internet connection light flickering normally, but any time I plug a phone into Phone Line 1 or 2 the LED just blinks.  I have tried both a cordless and old corded princess phone with the same results.  Cannot do the *5 XXXX setup up or the **9 222 222 222 and just get dead air.

Internet and router setup is FIOS with an Actiontec router.  Have tried opening the correct ports per the FAQ, followed by making the Obi202 IP DMZ and ensuring ALG SIP is disabled.  Also tried new phone cord and new ethernet cable.  Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike :) 

drgeoff

1. A blinking phone LED usually means that the phone is off-hook. Does it stop blinking if you unplug everything from both phone ports? Ensure you are plugging the phone directly into the port, not via house wiring, adaptors, doublers etc. You should get dial tone from a phone in either port even with no ethernet cable plugged in.

2. See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12592.msg80977#msg80977 to learn that port opening is not the same as port forwarding.

Points 1 and 2 are unrelated. Solve 1 first and revert all the DMZ and port stuff until proven necessary. Keep SIP ALG disabled.

BlindMike

Drgeoff

Yes, if I unplug the phones the LED's stop blinking.  But as soon as I plug either phone directly in to phone line 1 or 2 that lines LED starts to blink and there is no dial tone. 

SteveInWA

In the process of fiddling with your router settings, it sounds like the OBi was assigned an IP address, and you know what it is; is that correct?

If so, open a web browser and go to that IP address.  The default user name and password are both "admin".

Are you able to open that page?  If so, look at the left side of the page, and click on "Status" then "PHONE Port Status".

What does it tell you?  With no phones plugged into the OBi, do the ports say "On Hook" or "Off Hook"?  If they say "On Hook", then plug a phone into one port at a time.  Without lifting the handset, what does the status say now?

Where did you get this OBi -- from Amazon or Newegg, or from Craigslist or eBay?

BlindMike

Hi Steve,

Just got home from BestBuy with an ethernet cable and new 25' phone line in hand so I could be sure that neither was causing the problems and I looked at my Obi202 and the Line 1 LED is no longer flashing.  It flashed all night and all through the day anytime I had a phone plugged into either line 1 or 2 and now it is solid and the setup went through without a problem.  I bought the obi on Amazon straight from Obi.  Tried using my browser to go to the obi but got, "The requested URL was not found!".  I remember reading somewhere that the obi202 does not ship with webadmin enabled so I figure that is probably the reason.  Will search the FAQ for how to activate that feature.

Next, I'll be taking Geoff's second suggestion and turning off DMZ and opening the correct ports.  Crossing fingers. lol 

Thank you both for your help and suggestions.   

drgeoff

Quote from: BlindMike on April 09, 2017, 09:31:24 PM
.. and opening the correct ports. 
Maybe you need to read more carefully the post I referred you to.