News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't add ObiTalk 200 in setup.

Started by Mikeali786, April 14, 2017, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeali786

Alright so I bought the ObiTalk200 from Amazon and have been trying to get it to work but nothing has helped. I went through the setup process and got everything plugged in and a solid green light showed up on the power and a green quickly flashing light on the internet. When I tried to add the device on my account it told me to call the number but when I pick up my phone I don't here a dial tone. So I thought my phone might be messed up but I got a different phone that I know works but still no dial tone when connected to the ObiTalk200. What else can I do? I have a motorola surfboard sbg6580 router.

drgeoff

Unplug the ethernet.  Plug a phone directly into the OBi -  not via house wiring nor a doubler nor through a fax machine nor anything else.  Power cycle the OBi.  Take the phone off-hook and you should get dial tone.

If not, you have a problem with the phone or cord or you have a faulty Obi.

Mikeali786

Quote from: drgeoff on April 14, 2017, 11:48:19 AM
Unplug the ethernet.  Plug a phone directly into the OBi -  not via house wiring nor a doubler nor through a fax machine nor anything else.  Power cycle the OBi.  Take the phone off-hook and you should get dial tone.

If not, you have a problem with the phone or cord or you have a faulty Obi.

Just tried this and it didn't work. I've had the phone directly plugged into the obitalk. What do you mean by "power cycle the obi?"

drgeoff

Power cycle means remove the power for 15 seconds, then reapply.  It is one way to reboot the OBi.

Plug in the ethernet cable between OBi and router.  Power cycle the OBi. Log in to your router and find the IP address that it has given to the OBi.  Put that address into a web browser.  Enter admin and admin at the login prompt.

In the left hand column click on Status, then Phone Port Status to get a screen like I've shown an excerpt from below.

Start with no phone plugged in.  Then plug it in off-hook. Then take it off hook.  What do the first four lines show for all three of those conditions?  The page does not auto-update. You need to manually refresh it each time you make a change.