News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Callcentric OBI202 phone not ring

Started by jqs17, April 26, 2017, 08:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jqs17

Hi, I'm new here. Actually I was referred to here from OBi support team on their response to my ticket.

I got an OBI202 a couple of months ago and successfully set up GV to receive and make calls. However, I found myself really missed the Caller Name (CNAM) feature from my previous phone provider. So, I searched online and found a solution of using Callcentric (CC). I paid for a DID local number. I followed all the steps to set up on OBItalk to make CC as SP1 (I did use CC account number starts with 1777) and I also went to GV account and unchecked the chat and put the new CC number as a forward number.

Then problem started. Google needs to verify my new CC number. But my phone never rang to receive the call. I checked my CC account and found google's incoming number which means CC is working fine. I tried factory reset OBI202 and started from scratch a couple of times. Still the same problem. I opened a ticket with CC and forwarded them all the SP profile settings per their requests. They checked their record and found out
"we are showing that our system is delivering the call to your Obi202; however we are not receiving any response from your Obi202. Because we're not receiving any response back from your Obi202, our system eventually fails the call."

I then opened a ticket with OBI and they referred me to this forum. They also asked me to add GV to SP2 and recheck Chat. I did and my phone rang. But this route does not provide CNAM.

My router is ASUS and the setting is Cable --> Router --> Switch --> OBI
I did Disable the SIP passthrough on my router. This brings another question that OBI support did not answer -- do I have to manually open up any port(s) on my router setting?

At this point, I don't know if OBI support has exhausted their means to help. I'm hoping to get some help from you guys here or to see if anyone has the same problem.

Thanks.

drgeoff

Does your front page after logging in to callcentric.com show "1 extension registered"?

Does the OBi202's onboard GUI show "Registered" when you look at the relevant SP Service Status when you click on Status and then on System Status?

jqs17

Thanks for asking.

On OBI dashboard, yes it shows CC is registered. I don't know under Expert where to check  to see if it registered.

Under CC account, I can see "your device is registered".

The port thing still puzzles me. Under CC account, I see the port is 5080 while in Obi Expert, I see 5060 being everywhere. Do they have to be same?

SteveInWA

The terminology you are using is somewhat ambiguous, which makes your description of the problem also ambiguous.

Troubleshooting this should be easy, if you "follow the breadcrumbs", or the call path.

• Somebody calls your Google Voice number.
  • Depending on your Google Voice settings (whether you have Chat and/or your CC number check-marked as forwarding or "linked" numbers), GV will forward the call to your CC number.  Proof:  look on your CC account's dashboard or call history to see a record of the inbound calls that correspond to the time you make your test calls.  If there, then caller-->GV-->CC forwarding is working properly.  If not there, then your GV account may not be set up correctly.
  • Your CC inbound number (DID) needs to be configured correctly to register on an "extension".  The default extension is 100.  Go here, and confirm that it says "YOUR PHONE IS REGISTERED".  If it instead says "YOUR PHONE IS NOT REGISTERED" then you have a mistake in your OBi's CC setup.  If it does show registered, but it doesn't ring on inbound calls, can you make an outbound call?  If you can't make outbound calls, then you have a mistake in your CC setup on the OBi.  If you can, but inbound calls don't ring, then you have a telephone problem.
Follow the list methodically, and then tell us the exact results.

jqs17

StevenInWA,

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. Below is the result:
1. With only SP1 configured to be the CC and Google not able to verify the CC DID number, I can see all the incoming calls under CC account. No missed calls there. That's why CC support said that the CC is working fine. So, caller --> GV --> CC is working properly.

2. Yes my CC inbound number DID is set to be the default extension and it says "Your Phone is registered".

3. I can make outbound calls from my phone and the caller ID on the receiver end shows my DID number.

I kind of cut my story a short for the purpose of this post. Actually I got a FREE DID number from CC initially, a New York number. I followed all the steps to set it up. With that number, Google was able to verify my phone number by ringing my phone. However, the ring came severely delayed. The real problem was that I only want GV-->CC-->phone to get inbound calls for CNAM. For outbound calls, I still want to go through GV. So, after I added SP2 and configured it to be outbound calls, but not ring for inbound calls, SP1 (CC) no longer ring for inbound calls. I searched online and someone suggested that the FREE DID number may pose delays/missed calls etc and the solution was to purchase a local DID number. That's why I paid for a local DID number. I did not expect that this paid DID number does not even ring for google verification calls. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: jqs17 on April 26, 2017, 06:35:29 PM
StevenInWA,

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. Below is the result:
1. With only SP1 configured to be the CC and Google not able to verify the CC DID number, I can see all the incoming calls under CC account. No missed calls there. That's why CC support said that the CC is working fine. So, caller --> GV --> CC is working properly.

Well, that sounds suspect.  Please be clear in your response:  you now (apparently) have two different inbound Callcentric phone numbers (DIDs); one NY State number and one local (paid) number.  Call your paid DID number directly, from some other phone number, not Google Voice.  Does the OBi-attached phone ring?

jqs17

Steve,

No, my phone attached to OBI202 does not ring when I call my local DID (paid) number.

Before I got the paid number, with the FREE DID NY number, when I only assign SP1 (only 1 SP) to CC, my attached phone rang and google was able to verify the forward number. However, once I added GV to SP2 and unchecked chat, and set not ring incoming calls on SP2, only outgoing calls, then CC no longer rang my phone, so basically I got no ring at all. Then the call was transferred to GV answering system. It is very weird.

After I got a paid local number, I cancelled the free NY number. I was hoping the local number could resolve the problem. But did not expect it is very worse than the free NY number as no matter which setting I do, the attached phone never ring.

SteveInWA

Quote from: jqs17 on April 27, 2017, 10:38:55 PM
Steve,

No, my phone attached to OBI202 does not ring when I call my local DID (paid) number.

Before I got the paid number, with the FREE DID NY number, when I only assign SP1 (only 1 SP) to CC, my attached phone rang and google was able to verify the forward number. However, once I added GV to SP2 and unchecked chat, and set not ring incoming calls on SP2, only outgoing calls, then CC no longer rang my phone, so basically I got no ring at all. Then the call was transferred to GV answering system. It is very weird.

After I got a paid local number, I cancelled the free NY number. I was hoping the local number could resolve the problem. But did not expect it is very worse than the free NY number as no matter which setting I do, the attached phone never ring.

Think about it:  if the Callcentric number is not working, how do you expect it to receive forwarded calls from Google Voice?

Let's do this.  Follow every step.  Don't improvise.  Don't skip anything; just follow the instructions:

• Unplug the OBi from power and from Ethernet.
  • Get a paper clip and un-bend it.
  • Turn the OBi over, and find the raised bump with a hole in it.  Using the paperclip, gently depress the button until you feel a click.  Continue to hold down the button, while you plug in the power, but not the Ethernet.
  • Hold the button down for at least 10 seconds, until the power LED starts flashing, then release it.  Let the device sit there and reset itself to factory defaults, and then it will reboot.  Be patient and wait.
  • On your OBiTALK dashboard, delete your OBi completely off of your account.
  • After the OBi reboots, unplug it again.  Plug in the Ethernet cable.  Plug in the power cable and let it boot up.
  • Follow the instructions on the OBiTALK web page to add a new device, using the **5 procedure.
  • After the device is successfully added, skip the offer to configure Google Voice.  Instead, scroll down to the bottom of the web page, and click the link that says "OBiTALK compatible service providers".
  • On the next page, click "Callcentric".  On the next page, fill in the boxes.  You must have already set up an extension (extension 100 is the default) on your Callcentric account web portal, and you must have assigned a SIP password for that extension.  You must also tell Callcentric what to do when your local DID number rings (forward to default extension, ring for 30 seconds, then forward to CC VM).
  • After setting up the CC DID on the OBi, call the number and see what happens.  Don't try anything else yet.

Did those steps work?  If not, describe exactly what fails.