News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to get a new GV phone number...?

Started by rggg, April 26, 2017, 12:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rggg

I've done it before and even saved the instructions I got from this forum, but now cannot find the page in GV that does it...!  Here's the instructions:

<<Go to your Google Voice settings page and click on Change/Port and then the button "I want a new number".>>

Now I go to a GV settings page and don't find either of those buttons...  I find my existing number and next to it 2 buttons, one labelled DELETE and one labelled TRANSFER.  Don't think I'm in the right place...

Thanks..!

LTN1

You need to revert to "Legacy Google Voice." It is under "Settings" as you click the three vertical dots to pull out the left menu window. Once in Legacy, the original options should be there under Settings/Phones.

rggg

Nope, never can I get a page which shows my phone number and "Change/Port".  Can only bring up the one with my number beside "DELETE" and "TRANSFER" buttons.  I think I have brought up both the New GV and the Legacy GV pages, but not sure which is which because Google does not label them AT ALL as far as I can see...! 

The only set of three vertical dots that I see on the upper right gets me to settings, but it is a settings window on the RIGHT side, and when I click "settings" there, it brings up settings for Chrome, not GV...

I have yet to see any way to get a new number.

Also, I am not really sure I am am even getting my GV Account page up, since I don't really know what it should look like.  Can anyone show me a URL that would bring up my GV Account page...?

Thanks...!

Taoman

Quote from: rggg on April 26, 2017, 08:05:04 PM
Can anyone show me a URL that would bring up my GV Account page...?

Go here:

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

Are you saying you don't see "Change/Port" right next to your Google Voice number?

LTN1

Quote from: rggg on April 26, 2017, 08:05:04 PM
Nope, never can I get a page which shows my phone number and "Change/Port".  Can only bring up the one with my number beside "DELETE" and "TRANSFER" buttons.  I think I have brought up both the New GV and the Legacy GV pages, but not sure which is which because Google does not label them AT ALL as far as I can see...!  

The only set of three vertical dots that I see on the upper right gets me to settings, but it is a settings window on the RIGHT side, and when I click "settings" there, it brings up settings for Chrome, not GV...

I have yet to see any way to get a new number.

Also, I am not really sure I am am even getting my GV Account page up, since I don't really know what it should look like.  Can anyone show me a URL that would bring up my GV Account page...?

Thanks...!

Perhaps some pictures may help. The first is the 3 vertical dots that is on the left side of the new Google Voice screen. The second is windows that come out of the left side when you click on the 3 vertical dots. It has the option to revert to the Legacy Google Voice screen on the bottom of that window (or use Taoman's link). The third picture is the old Google Voice screen. To get to the Phones tab, you need to click the gear icon on the upper right hand side of the old Google Voice screen, then click on Settings, then Phones.

rggg

Thanks for the ride, guys... this works:

I type in very carefully Taoman's link:

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

I hit enter, and it gets me to a page with this URL:

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?gsessionid=zn-LqoGEfluUAf00s387lfEyuDbXINLn#phones

This page DOES now show three buttons:     [Change/Port]   [Delete]   [Transfer]

I click  [Change/Port] and the window pops up allowing to search for numbers...
I click "I want a new number", and the next window pops up with:
----------------------------------------
-There is a $10.00 one-time fee to change your Google Voice number. Here is how it works:
-Pick a new number in one of our available area codes.
-Pay $10.00 with Google Payments, using your credit card.
-Your new number becomes active right away.
-Calls to your old number will keep coming to your Google Voice account for three months, so you have time to tell everyone about your new number.
-You will be able to make your old number permanent for a one-time $20.00 fee
------------------------------------------
OK, I didn't find a number I liked any better than the one I have, so I'll just keep it.

BUT that last window raised another question:

"You will be able to make your old number permanent for a one-time $20.00 fee"

The number I have now replaced a previous one some time ago.  I paid the $10 fee to get it at that time.  Will I have to pay another $20 after the 3-month holding period to make it permanent...?  If so, will Google inform me  and bill me somehow...?

One more question.  I see on that same page that I have 12 voicemails.  How do I delete them..?  I see no way on that page.  Is there a way to prevent voicemails being recorded?  I'd rather not have any of my telephone conversations recorded...

Thanks much to all...!
Gerry

Steve56

Google Voice being what it is, there isn't any way to disable the automatic sending of calls to voicemail after 25 seconds. What I've done, to prevent that from happening, is set a custom voicemail greeting of a busy signal. It isn't ideal, and also inaccurate since when people get that busy signal, I'm not actually on the phone, but it does prevent people from leaving messages.

You can delete or "archive" those pesky voicemails on the Google Voice website or by dialing your GV number from your GV phone.