News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cell phone never rings - home phone sometimes rings using Google Voice

Started by magicwine, April 28, 2017, 06:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicwine

Hi - I've had Google Voice for 5 years.

Both my home landline and cell phone always rang.

For both I had forwarding on to those two numbers.

This past Dec I purchased the obi200. All still working well - except now with the obi200 the home phone was no longer a forwarding number to my now defunct home landline,but directly ringing the home phone via the obi200.

Last month I got a new cell phone, same brand and I have the Google Voice web interface settings to forward all calls to this new cell #, as I did with the former cell. Except it NEVER rings or vibrates. I have checked and the ringer is on when I test it via the ringtones and it is set to ring and vibrate.

Also in March some strange things started happening:

1. Two people told me they received a strange advertisement - but my home phone never rang.
2. Several told me that they received a message that my voice mail is full. It is not and usually only 1 or 2 unread messages.
3. Several state it goes directly to voicemail, and it never rings at home.
4. However, I also still get many calls normally where my home phone rings. The cell still never rings.

Any advise on how to fix this?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

SteveInWA

Hi Bob:

Temporarily disable, and then completely remove, your cell phone number from the list of "linked" or "forwarding" phones on your Google Voice account.

Then, call your Google Voice number from some other phone number (not your Google Voice nor cell phone number), and report back here with the results.  Try several calls, from different carriers, if possible.

magicwine

I can't find any function stating "disable". Only an edit, which appears to only allow the change of name; and an X which I presume removes it. Is that what you mean?
I don't have any other numbers, I could just ask friends to call me.
So as I understand it, once I remove my cell number, and a friend calls me, we want to see if my home phone rings? I'd have to do that a lot, as I do receive calls where my home phone rings, it's sporadic when it doesn't.
But my cell never rings.

SteveInWA

::) ::) ::)

Click the X to delete the cell phone from your list of linked numbers.