News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Specify Port

Started by rickybello, May 16, 2017, 04:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickybello

Hi and thanks for reading, my question is i believe simple for most but not for me. i recently got a two line Panasonic phone, the physical line is on line 1. on line 2 of the obi (obi202) i have my fax, when i press line 2 on the phone even is there is no line connected physically it uses the fax number and also if you call the fax it also rings on the sp1. can i separate them and  make them not interfering with each other. thanks

drgeoff

On an OBi202 the PHONE1 jack is wired to work with a 2-line phone. Its two centre contacts (3 and 4) are wired for ph1 and contacts 2 and 5 are wired for ph2.  Those contacts 2,5 in the PHONE 1 jack are hard wired to contacts 3,4 in the PHONE2 jack.  There is no way to remove that within the 202.

You need to use an external means to stop the 2,5 contacts in the PHONE1 jack connecting to the 2,5 contacts in the socket on the Panasonic phone.  Simplest way is to replace the cable with one that only contains wires for 3,4.  Or some types of 'line splitter' will do what you need.

rickybello

Thanks for the fast response, any specific line spliter or just a plain old  dollar store piece. thanks.

drgeoff

Examine the fax machine cord.  If that has only two wires, use it between the OBi PHONE1 jack and the phone.  Only the middle pair of contacts on the PHONE2 jack is wired to anything so you can use the four wire cable between it and the fax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L1-L2-L1-L2-multi-2-line-cord-wire-Phone-Telephone-number-Splitter-Adapter-SHdis-/302274992332?hash=item4660fe58cc:g:0G4AAMXQCgpRz1wL is a suitable splitter.  Probably other types will work too but we don't have much need for any of them here in blighty.