News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Flashing Red/Green after power outage. HELP!!!

Started by davepatel, May 21, 2017, 07:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davepatel

hello all,
i have a flashing red/green after power outage. follwed instructions to install firmware manually. did this 3 times. after each time...device goes back to flashing red/green. please help. thanks.

SteveInWA

Try this:

• Unplug all three cables from the OBi (phone, Ethernet and power).
  • Turn the OBi over and locate the reset switch, which is recessed under a hole, surrounded by a raised bump.
  • Using a straightened-out paper clip, gently depress the switch until you feel a click, and keep it depressed.  It's easier to do this by placing the OBi upside-down on a table, holding the box down with the heel of your hand, and the paperclip with your fingers, and then plugging in the power cord with the other hand.
  • While continuing to hold down the switch, plug in only the power cord.  Keep holding the switch and wait 10 seconds.
  • Release the switch, and wait for the OBi to reboot.

Is it still blinking red/green?  If so, it was fried by the power outage.  Time to buy a new one.

davepatel

followed it...within 10 secs of pin pressing...it goes back to red/green flashing....so there is no other way at this point to fix this device? OBI200

drgeoff

If you have another 12 volt wall-wart with a plug that fits the OBi and centre positive, give it a try.  You have nothing to lose.

sheytoon

I have been having the same problem for the past few months on my OBI100. What device do you have?

This is going to sound really stupid, but you can recover it by disconnecting the power cable for 2 days and plugging back in. After that, the firmware update will work and device will return to normal... Until you have another unexpected power outage.

I really don't know what the issue is. Best guess is partial hardware failure. Firmware version doesn't seem to make a difference. Factory reset doesn't seem to make a difference.

jcrouch

The same happened to me recently on my 4.5 yr old OBI100. I tripped the circuit breaker that it runs on and it never cam back up, doing the red/green flash o' death.

Browse to its ip and get the "interruption during firmware update" message. Run the update and it just loops back to the firmware update page.

Unit will not complete a factory reset, no matter how long I press the reset button for.

I can, randomly, get it to start working again by unplugging everything, plugging the power in and wait for the red/green flashes. Then plug in the cat5. This sometimes fixes it. Other times plugging in the phone cord first fixes it. BUT, it only works for about a day once I do get it working. Very unreliable at this point.

So I agree with others, some type of partial hardware failure. Something got halfway zapped :)

Solution... go to Amazon and order a OBi200 for $47. I paid about that for my almost 5 yr old OBi100... not complaining at all for a ~$10/yr unlimited phone service :) :) :).

Also I guess the OBi100's have been discontinued? I found them on Amazon but they are around $70! Don't be fooled, get a 200 for much less :) And the 200's have the USB port that you can use to get wifi working on. WHY these don't have built in wifi yet is a mystery to me. But a $20 wifi adapter isn't so bad.