News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 stops working on its own and requires a power reset for it to work

Started by Wasim, May 30, 2017, 06:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasim

Hi,

I have been using OBI100 and Google Voice service for a couple of years and this problem started a few months back. It happened infrequently first, and now it is almost a daily occurrence. I finally made the time yesterday to take a closer look at this issue. What I found is that when the OBI100 is down, it is inaccessible over the local network; as if the software has crashed. PINGs to the assigned DHCP IP address also failed with an unreachable error. Fixing this situation requires a device reset where the power cable is pulled from the back of OBI100 and plugged back in after a few seconds. Upon restart, it is again accessible over the local network and when it responds when I navigate to it using the browser.

When OBI100 is off-line, no calls can be received and no dial tone is heard when attempting the outbound call.

Also, I updated the firmware yesterday to the latest available. It didn't make a difference and it stopped working after a couple of hours and required another power reset.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any suggestions for further diagnostics that I can perform?

thanks,

-Syed

drgeoff

I cannot be certain but that sounds like a hardware problem.  The OBi ATAs themselves have no user serviceable parts inside.  But it is worth trying another wall-wart if you have a suitable one to hand.  12 volt (stabilised), more than about 800 mA, plug that fits and is centre positive.

As a matter of interest, when working, what does the VBAT line show when you go to Status, Phone Status?

Another remote possibility is very heavy electrical interference on the power lines to your house.  Any new industrial plants etc recently started or increased operations near you?

Wasim

Thank you for the prompt reply.

My guess is a hardware issue as well. Though I can't be sure if it is. If the http port listener goes away and things don't go back to normal, it generally means an unrecoverable error. And I don't know how to peek inside the device when it goes down.

Also, I don't have another power adapter with the named specs. Though I broke down and ordered the Google Voice OBIHai device. It is due to arrive in the mail tomorrow. I will surely report back on whether the problem persists with the new device. If so, it will likely point to some environmental issue as you pointed out.

Here is what the "Status" page reads:

LoopCurrent      0 mA
VBAT              58 V (12.0 V)
TipRingVoltage      45 V

And no, I didn't hear anything about changes around in the area that may affect the electrical grid. On the second thought, a new community of single-family homes started its life adjacent to our 40-year-old TH establishment. That's about it.

I will report back on the device upgrade in the next 24-48 hours.

Cheers,

-Syed

Wasim

I swapped the old device with OBI-200 Google Voice model and the old issue appears to have been in the past. All is well. Consider this issue resolve.

Thanks.