News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Obi200 from Amazon but no dial tone

Started by noleyo, May 21, 2021, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noleyo

First off I plan on testing with a new phone/cable when I get home in a few hours, but I just wanted to make sure the unit itself doesn't seem to be borked.  I setup the unit yesterday by plugging in the device with a new Panasonic cordless phone I bought off of Amazon at the same time. 

I got on my router, got the ip address and logged into the 200's web interface.  Went over the status screen to watch the calls going out.  I then proceeded to follow the setup instructions by dialing **9 222 222 222.  I got no dial tone when picking up the phone, but could see the call going out on the device.  10 seconds later I got the confirmation popup about no 911 service and then I'm back at the dashboard after selecting my GV account.  Confirmed and connected.  I proceeded to place a test call, no dial tone again, but my cell phone rings after calling. I cannot hear anything on my cell from the cordless, nor can I hear anything on the cordless from my cell. 

I called my GV number and the cordless rings, but after picking up the phone, nothing.  I can see the incoming/outgoing log on the OBI page.  On the phone port status I see the following. 

When the phone is hung up.  On Hook, Loop Current 0 mA, VBAT 58V (11.5V), TipRingVoltage (45V)

When I try to make a call. I can't remember the voltages, but they change and the current increases from 0.  Off Hook, Loop Current 20mA.

From everything I've read online, the unit seems to be okay.  If I had 0's or blanks for the voltages, that would mean the unit is fried?

Like I said I bought this phone from Amazon, admittedly it seems to be very new with zero reviews.  I stopped by Walmart and picked up a cheap $15 vTech phone and I have a standard corded phone to test with as well. Just hoping to get some clarity that it seems like the obi device is working or not?

SteveInWA

It sounds like there is nothing wrong with the OBi device, but there is something wrong with your phone.  Just try another phone and see what happens.

And, please delete all your duplicate posts.  There is a forum bug that causes it to act as if it failed to save your post when you are a new user, but it does, and you end up with duplicates.