News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiWiFi5G to enable cell phone's Wi-Fi to answer/make calls?

Started by TimDan, June 18, 2017, 02:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrobert

Quote from: Taoman on June 21, 2017, 09:34:04 PM
It should work. PhonePower supports 4 simultaneous registrations to the same account. All endpoints will ring for incoming calls.

This makes the setup very easy. Don't make any changes to the OBi. Use the same credentials for CSipSimple that was used to setup Phonepower on the OBi.

Install CSipSimple softphone on your Android.
Add a new Account.
Select the BASIC wizard
Account name = Phonepower
User =
Server =
Password =
SAVE

Under Settings
Network > Lock WiFi: checked
User interface > Use partial wake lock: checked

drgeoff

TimDan

Quote from: azrobert on June 21, 2017, 11:10:41 PM
Quote from: Taoman on June 21, 2017, 09:34:04 PM
It should work. PhonePower supports 4 simultaneous registrations to the same account. All endpoints will ring for incoming calls.
This makes the setup very easy. Don't make any changes to the OBi. Use the same credentials for CSipSimple that was used to setup Phonepower on the OBi.

Install CSipSimple softphone on your Android.
Add a new Account.
Select the BASIC wizard
Account name = Phonepower
User =
Server =
Password =
SAVE

Under Settings
Network > Lock WiFi: checked
User interface > Use partial wake lock: checked
Quote from: drgeoff on June 22, 2017, 12:38:32 AM
PhonePower have their own softphone apps for Android,  iOS and PC.  http://www.phonepower.com/hardware.aspx

These are both very heartening.  I called PhonePower re their "Free Softphone" app, and their Tech Support said that it's downloadable for Android from the PlayStore.  The tech agent also said that there were no parameters to set other than those to identify my account, and that once set up, I should be able to use my cell phone's WiFi link with my WiFi router to make and receive calls just as I do with my analog desk phone.

I'll give the PhonePower app a try, and if that doesn't work out well, I'll try CSipSimple.  (I've read enough to know that there are a lot of sketchy phone apps out there.)  Thanks again, guys!

TimDan

TimDan

Quote from: TimDan on June 22, 2017, 11:28:52 AM
I'll give the PhonePower app a try, and if that doesn't work out well, I'll try CSipSimple. 

I installed PhonePower's softphone app from the Android PlayStore, and so far it works OK.  It can make and receive calls, using just the cell phone's WiFi connection to my WiFi router with no drop-outs or distortions.  But that is with the WiFi endpoints just 4 feet apart.  I'll see in the days ahead if the system continues to serve my needs.  If not, I'll try the CSipSimple app.  So far, no need to buy a cordless phone. :D

Thanks, guys!
TimDan