News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Generic wifi adapter in OBi200

Started by Danc, June 28, 2017, 12:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danc

Question:  can a non-OBi nano wifi adapter can be used wirelessly with OBi2xx series?

Forum answer:  No, as answered by DrGeoff in a dormant (the reason for this new thread) wifi adapter thread, and seconded by others.

My experience to the contrary:  A few days ago, I inserted a Netis WF2120 nano wifi adapter into my online year 2014 model OBi200, not really knowing what to do next.
After a few moments, the Netis internal LED started flashing, the OBi LEDs settled back into their normal state, and the associated phone could make/receive calls normally.  Over the next 2-3 days, I removed/replaced the Netis at least 3 times, and each time it reset and worked without my doing anything special.
Later I tried -- and failed -- to replicate this outcome on a spare OBi200, which I did have to firmware update.
Then, after noticing that my original OBi200 was calling for a firmware update, I accepted it.  After the update, the Netis would no longer work in the OBi200 (no flashing adapter LED either), but it functioned properly in my computer. 
I then downgraded the OBI200 firmware to 3.0.1 Build: 4581 (not knowing what I had started with), in hopes the Netis would resume working. Afterwards, the Netis LED would flash, but the OBi200 could never reset (always flashing green power light).

Questions: 1) why was my experience different from the accepted theory, and 2) how can I get it back?

drgeoff

Did you have an OBiWIFI working in the OBi before inserting the Netis?  You don't mention entering your Wi-Fi details and no Wi-Fi adapter could connect unless the OBi contained those.

Danc

Yes, I removed the OBi wifi adapter and immediately inserted the Netis -- within a few seconds -- and the new setup started working without any further intervention on my part, after a couple of minutes.

goldie26

Netis WF2120 works with firmware version upto 3.1.0 (Build: 5264) if you go higher than this it stops working

Danc

"Netis WF2120 works with firmware version upto 3.1.0 (Build: 5264) if you go higher than this it stops working."

Thank you for this explanation; I knew I wasn't just imagining the Netis working -- till I messed with it.   :)

Followup question: Even though I reverted back to Firmware 3.0.1 (Build 4581), the Netis would not resume working.  Should I be able to get the Netis functionality back?  Anything else I need to do other than overriding the Firmware, as I have already -- unsuccessfully -- tried?