News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Distinctive Ring patterns on Obi202

Started by Almighty1, July 16, 2017, 03:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almighty1

I have a question, I know there are 10 different distinctive ring patterns on the Obi202, is there anywhere one can listen to a sampling of the 10 or how do people normally know which one to pick?  Thanks!

azrobert

You can try each ring pattern by changing the configuration with OBi Expert and then call the number associated with the modified trunk. You select the ring pattern by changing the default ring here:

Voice Services -> SP? Service -> X_DefaultRing

You can get an idea of what they sound like by looking at the ring pattern definition here:

Ring Settings -> Ring Profile A/B
Ring Profile A is the default.

Ring Pattern 1 = 60;(2+4)
60 = Ring for 60 seconds
2 = Ring for 2 seconds
+4 = Silence for 4 seconds
Repeat for a total of 60 seconds

Ring Pattern 3 = 60;(.8+.4,.8+4)
.8 = Ring for .8 seconds
+.4 = Silence for .4 seconds
.8 = Ring for .8 seconds

You can create your own ring pattern by modifying one of the ring patterns.

Almighty1

Thanks, the only problem with that is that since it requires to do a different setting after each one, I might forget what the previous ones sound like which was why it would have been better if there was a sampling available somewhere of what it sounds like. 

LTN1

It would be nice to have a centralized place to hear the ring tones. Perhaps you can contact Obihai to ask if they could make available a way for customers to listen to the different ring tones.

Post an answer should you get it.

Until then...if you are looking for a specific type of distinctive ring tone, you can ask...maybe I will know of the one you are look for. Most devices, when it is set up for a type of distinctive ring tone, typically has a double ring or triple ring pattern as default.

drgeoff

I'm sure LTN1 is quite aware that OBis (or any other ATAs) cannot provide distinctive ring tones.  They can provide distinctive patterns (cadences) of ringing voltage to the connected phone(s).

While the electro-mechanical bell in older phones or the beeper in simple modern phones can turn on and off the ring/beep sound in sympathy with the ringing pattern, that is often not the case with higher-end phones.  For example I have phones with user selectable ring 'melodies' that continue playing a melody for about ten seconds after the OBi ceases to send ringing voltage to them.  It is possible to program them to recognise certain CallerIDs and play a different ring melody for those, but they are completely insensitive to the actual on-off pattern of the ringing voltage.

LTN1

drgeoff is correct. I miswrote. Distinctive ring pattern(s) was what I wanted to convey.

Almighty1

I have a Panasonic Cordless 2-line phone system from the 1990s so I can select a different ring tone for each of the two lines but the Obi202 basically has 4 providers, 2 coming out of each of the 2 physical ports so I just need a way to distinguish the 2nd provider on each of the 2 lines.  The default pattern is used for SP1 and SP2, just need something for SP3 and SP4 that works well and does not sound close to SP1 and SP2. 

NYCtalk

New user here, apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I was reading in the post quoted below about the availability to have different ring patterns for each phone number, however, when I am at the list I am unable to make any edits. I am using an OBI 200, I log in, go to the dashboard then to the red E for Advanced Configuration, then Ring Settings and then Ring Profile A. I see details for Call Waiting Tones and also Ring Patterns, but am not able to edit them. I have also tried unchecking the two checkmarks and do not notice any differences. I would like each number to have a distinct ring. I have set up three numbers and one has a unique ring, the other two numbers have the same, or at least no difference in the ring pattern I am able to hear. Have also tried under Voice Services then Default Ring ander the different SPs. Everything seems to be locked in place even after selecting or deselecting checkmarks.  How can I possibly adjust the ring?

Also, I am clueless regarding other features, such as automated attendant, trusted callers, the two speed dials for soft phone and the other directly below it. Is there any set of detailed instructions? I also see a set of *codes, are these included for us to use and if so, how?  Thanks in advance for any details or clues you can offer!

Quote from: azrobert on July 16, 2017, 05:12:05 PM
You can try each ring pattern by changing the configuration with OBi Expert and then call the number associated with the modified trunk. You select the ring pattern by changing the default ring here:

Voice Services -> SP? Service -> X_DefaultRing

You can get an idea of what they sound like by looking at the ring pattern definition here:

Ring Settings -> Ring Profile A/B
Ring Profile A is the default.

Ring Pattern 1 = 60;(2+4)
60 = Ring for 60 seconds
2 = Ring for 2 seconds

Ring Pattern 3 = 60;(.8+.4,.8+4)
.8 = Ring for .8 seconds
+.4 = Silence for .4 seconds
.8 = Ring for .8 seconds

You can create your own ring pattern by modifying one of the ring patterns.

drgeoff

Almost everything you could wish to know and more is in the hundreds of pages of the Admin Guide http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf but you will probably need to read it several times before you begin to understand it.

When using Expert mode, after you untick both boxes at the end of a line you should be able to edit that parameter.  Then scroll to the bottom and click 'Submit'.  That will trigger a reboot of your OBi and it should restart with the updated configuration.